PIN/ID
    22db519c

Advertisement

i'm loving my bold but i'm not getting rid of me curve
    you've officially been chopped n screwed. pin: 22db519c

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Well... I finally did it. I went to the store and played with a bold for a good 20 minutes. Nice device!

This wasn't the first time I'd handled one, but it was the first time I got to spend some good time with it.

Overall, I'm still not sold -- especially since there is no 3g in my area. Makes the whole experience somewhat anticlimactic as I wasn't able to fully appreciate the devices speed I don't think. The keyboard was nice and much better than most devices. However, I still feel that the Curve keyboard works better for me. Then again, I haven't really had a chance to get used to it so I'm not saying it's a definite no go.

I will say -- the screen is fantastic! But overall, I'm sticking with my curve for a while longer. I just think that it's a slight bit too big for my uses and the keyboard on my Curve just feels better.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

renegade37918 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22db519c
    I'm watching wanted on eva ?. And the picture is crisp the sound is very good
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    Well... I finally did it. I went to the store and played with a bold for a good 20 minutes. Overall, I'm still not sold -- especially since there is no 3g in my area. Makes the whole experience somewhat anticlimactic as I wasn't able to fully appreciate the devices speed I don't think. The keyboard was nice and much better than most devices. However, I still feel that the Curve keyboard works better for me. Then again, I haven't really had a chance to get used to it so I'm not saying it's a definite no go.

I will say -- the screen is fantastic! But overall, I'm sticking with my curve for a while longer. I just think that it's a slight bit too big for my uses and the keyboard on my Curve just feels better.
    I'm glad to hear that you had an opportunity for a hands on experience. Your impressions were very interesting reading. What is your take on the battery door? How was the fit, and what did you think of the chrome edge that surrounds the phone? What are your impressions regarding the icons on the start screen? Finally how did you like the placement of the trackball? Did it feel recessed lower than the Curve?

Thanks
    via Archer's BlackBerry 8310

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Archer -

The sample I was able to play with was a demo sample and had therefore, been handled a lot over the last few days. Not that this makes a huge difference as I would expect a BB to be handled a lot by it's owner, but I'm not sure how many people had been playing with items such as battery doors or the trackball for that matter. With that said, here are my opinions.

The battery door was rather loose. I think I got a very tight Curve as there is no play whatsoever in the battery door and no creaking. The Bold felt less sturdy in that department. I did like the leather texture on the back of the device as it gives the user a good solid grip. With the Best Skins Ever skin on my curve, I have a similar secure grip as well.

Frankly, I'm not sold on the chrome surround. I see there are multiple people purchasing a black surround from cnn.cn and I think I would probably do that if I were to get the Bold. The chrome just doesn't work for me from an aesthetic sense. Also, where it hit my hand it seemed to make the phone feel less grippy than I would like. I'm probably used to the rubberized sides of the Curve or the OtterBox my Curve was in. I'd hope that the black ring was more textured but I'm not sure it would be.

One the of the biggest things that I found regarding the operations of the phone was the trackball location. Here I have two problems. Since I use my BB in a variety of conditions, my trackball tends to get dirty. I usually keep one or two spares (ordered from cnn.cn) on hand as after a few cleanings, I find it's simply easier to replace it. From this standpoint, the Bold is a step backward. It's necessary to take the entire handset appart to remove the trackball assembly and that is somewhat worrysome to me. Also, I did find the trackball felt much more recessed than on my curve. I'm not sure I found this bad, just different.

Personally, I liked the interface. The screen is brilliant and the default theme is very functional. I'm assuming things such as icon style and other theme related items will be customizable by a vast quantity of themes so I didn't worry too much there.

Overall, a very interesting device. It seemed a bit of a dichotomy with regard to build quality. The leather textured back felt very high quality, but for me, the chrome ring felt cheap. A brushed aluminum bezel would probably fit better with the overall theme of the device. But again, purely subjective.

I'm going to wait until I can handle a Storm and a Javelin before i upgrade. I'm thinking that unless my Curve dies I'll be waiting to get a 3G device as I hear my are is to be receiving this upgrade in the near future. Also, I'd really like a device with WIFI as my 8310 is lacking that feature.
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    The battery door was rather loose
    - I'm not sold on the chrome surround.where it hit my hand
    - the trackball location. It's necessary to take the entire handset appart -the chrome ring felt cheap
    Thanks for the comprehensive report. The challenge I face is waiting for the 8900 as I truly feel it's much more ideal for my needs as my main BlackBerry. After having a taste of the Bold experience (even though it was filled with problems) the good points of that model are far fewer than I had hoped for, yet what's there is very compelling.

That said I thank you for helping me check myself as you hit on all my points of concern, which I could easily & carelessly cast aside for the lure of 3G & wifi as I live in a very strong 3G area.
    And yet as you so aptly reminded me, there are several areas of concern with the Bold. Of all the BlackBerrys I've had, a distinct feature of the 8310 is its perfect battery door which makes battery pulls a non issue. Remaining an essential part of BlackBerry use, battery pulls on a Bold would be disconcerting at best, with a worrisome eye on the somewhat poorly designed door, spares would be a must. Whereas the battery door on the 8900 is robust & features a user removable & replaceable latch assy. I simply do not care for the protruding surround on the bold. Nor the rather bulbous looking camera bezel. The 8900 features a flush, clear lens protecting the camera. The silver trim surrounding the phone, flush with the body giving the 8900 an even slimmer appearance. The black track ball is attractive and rolls in a newly revamped socket. I use WiFi with my ThinkPad everywhere, everyday, thus it would be very welcome on my next BlackBerry. So all things taken into consideration, I must remain steadfast & wait for the 8900.
    via Archer's BlackBerry 8310

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I have an opportunity to sell my Bold today and use my girlfriend's pink 8310 (read the essential word : Pink) until the Javelin comes out and then get the latter.
    I am starting to wonder wether i should do it or not because i am really falling in love with the Javelin's TRUE next gen design (as you may know i believe the Bold is definitely a transition device : no micro-usb, no new battery door etc...)

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3
    mjwood0, I totally understand you're concerns about the "chrome" ring on the Bold. A few months back the Boy Genius Report posted pictures of a Bold after it had taken a tumble to pavement, I believe, and the "chrome" ring took quite a beating. Given my OCD I decided then and there that I would get something to cover it and as much of the phone as I possibly could as soon as getting the Bold.
    Being the dork that I am I actually ordered an OEM skin and screen protector the week before the Bold came out. So, I had them both when I went to purchase my Bold last week, I put the screen protector on first then the skin. Here's what it looks like:

Sorry it's so far away ... I need to spend a little time getting good shots of the Bold:

In any case, I understand that the Bold not for everyone, but my friend who has my Curve is happy so I don't think I could get it back. LOL. Good thing I wouldn't even consider it. It's been a week and I haven't wanted to throw the Bold out my car window like I did with my Curve at the end.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    So glad to hear you're happy with the Bold! Any blackberry is a good device -- it just depends on personal need / preference. I think if I wanted a more multimedia device, I'd be happier with a bold as the screen is beautiful. As it is, I've used my Curve as a mp3 player maybe 10 times. I've never played a movie on it!

At the end of the day, I need a nice, compact device that can pound out e-mail. The Curve does this just perfectly for me. I need a device that's maintainable and cleanable. I take my Curve's trackball out about once a month (sometimes more often) to clean it and take the whole device apart about every 6 months to clean the keyboard. The Bold would make these tasks more difficult I believe.

Regardless, I think the Bold is a great device! I just don't think it's right for me.
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3
    I totally understand that, mjwood0, I wish I could've just kept using my Curve. Thank goodness BB has something for everyone.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234