Interesting observation; I travel a lot and notice a HUGE difference with different networks in ... BlackBerry Bold forum

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3

anyone notice huge difference in battery life depending on the network

Advertisement

Interesting observation;

I travel a lot and notice a HUGE difference with different networks in battery life when i travel with my bold with 3G on.

most countries I get decent battery life even with mid to heavy use, but when I am in Malta for example, I barely use it, I mean just a few phone calls and a few texts and emails but the battery drains faaaast. Literally seeing the bars go down. Its so bad that I do not bother putting 3G on. Last night I did, and my battery was at about 40%, and with no use, but my emails being pushed the phone died on me in less than a few hours.
    8900 Curve, IPHONE 3G, SAMSUNG JET, NOKIA E71, BOLD, STORM 9500

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ well the battery does work a little harder when a cell is searching for a signal. I think when roaming too

bigblue95z no está en línea Stack level 3
    Oh for sure! Where I live for college I only charge my bold every 3-4 days with like 10 min a day of web surfing on EDGE. But in my home town we have 3g and pretty much cuts the battery to being charged every other day. I wish I knew att locked out the network option. That was a big f up but it was to aviod another headache that is technical. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue95z View Post
    Oh for sure! Where I live for college I only charge my bold every 3-4 days with like 10 min a day of web surfing on EDGE. But in my home town we have 3g and pretty much cuts the battery to being charged every other day. I wish I knew att locked out the network option. That was a big f up but it was to aviod another headache that is technical. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You are still lucky, even on edge I have to charge the phone every night.
    8900 Curve, IPHONE 3G, SAMSUNG JET, NOKIA E71, BOLD, STORM 9500

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I've been wondering about this myself...in a way. I knew that 3G would drain the battery much faster, but what about wifi? If I'm at home within my wireless network is it helping or hurting battery life to use the wifi as opposed to turning off wifi and forcing everything to use 3G?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    For GSM the phone can transmit at 2W compared to 20mW in an attempt to stary connected. If you're in a weak signal area it can really eat into battery life...

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
    For GSM the phone can transmit at 2W compared to 20mW in an attempt to stary connected. If you're in a weak signal area it can really eat into battery life...

Which probably has a lot to do with my battery being drained a little on the fast side. With my CDMA 8330 I would consistently have next to no reception and drop calls like crazy. Now, with the GSM Bold I almost always have perfect reception...go figure.

Are you force to let the phone try to stay connected this hard or is there something I can set it to between 3G and disabling the connection completely?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by cornelious0_0 View Post
    Which probably has a lot to do with my battery being drained a little on the fast side. With my CDMA 8330 I would consistently have next to no reception and drop calls like crazy. Now, with the GSM Bold I almost always have perfect reception...go figure.

Are you force to let the phone try to stay connected this hard or is there something I can set it to between 3G and disabling the connection completely?
    On the rogers Bold theres an option to set your phone to 2G only if you want a longer battery life and still a good reception.
    Or 3G only if you want a better voice quality and data/voice at the same time.
    Or 2G/3G for the device to switch to 3G whenever it finds it and it will keep looking at all times for a 3G network.

The last option is unfortunately the only one available on ATT phones which means that if youre in an area without a good 3G coverage you wont get the battery life youre supposed to be getting.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I still can't for the life of me understand why ATT would do this. Wouldn't they want the users to have the option to switch? What if I knew I wouldn't be in a 3G area such as at home? Shouldn't I be allowed to turn 3g off to save battery life?
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm on T-Mobile Uk and get only 2G/3G or 2G. No 3G only.

The only real fix is to find a provider that offers a good signal where you most often work, live and play...

... in fact most people's perception of the quality of the whole network is the quality of reception where thay happen to work, live and play.
    Last edited by wibbly; 11-27-2008 at 05:12 AM.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I'm fairly pleased with the 3G strength in my area, I was never able to use my Curve at home for calls because of the horrible CDMA reception. I now get perfect signal strength with only a minimal hit to battery life since I upgraded to 4.6.0.190.