Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A few months ago I jumped from my 8320 to a touchscreen Nokia (5800). I'm ... BlackBerry Bold forum

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

Anyone gone from a touchscreen to 9700?

Advertisement

A few months ago I jumped from my 8320 to a touchscreen Nokia (5800). I'm thinking it might be time to get back to Blackberry again, and the 9700 is looking mighty attractive to me!

But one concern I have is going from the beautiful large touchscreen to a more condensed screen (though very nice, high resolution). Has anyone gone from a phone like the 5800, iPhone, Android, etc. to a regular BB? Did you miss the large touchscreen and/or feel cramped with a half screen?

I was hoping AT&T would get the Storm 2 but I just don't see anything happening anytime soon...

maevro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21671C22
    I was a rep for almost every company and I still have my Nokia 5800 and N97, Applie iPhone 2G, 3G and 3Gs, iMate 8502 and 9502, my HTC Touch Diamond, MWG Atom Life and I can keep going.

I also have smartphones like HTC Cavalier, Nokia E71 N95, N82, Motorola Q9H and Blackberry 9100, 8310, 9000 and 9700

I am very happy with my 9700. It has a superior keyboard to most phones that I have used. The resolution is fantastic too. The camera is not up to par of a Nokia but the 9700 actually has a pretty good camera.

I dont miss too much. I have customized my 9700 to my liking. You have to give up in some areas. Sometimes it would be nice to have a 3.5" screen, but when I use the iPhone, I miss the BB keyboard.

I like Symbian, Apple, RIM and WinMo's OS, not a huge fan of WebOS.

You really need to think about your main reasons to why you are using the phone. I dont think there is a better phone for email, sms and other random features than the 9700. I cant compare it to an iPhone because they are totally different beasts. The iPhone is more of an everyday fun phone to me.

No phone is perfect, it there was one, everyone would have it. Whatever phone I use, there will always be something I with I had. Yes, at times I wish the 9700 was a touchscreen but I have less issues with Blackberry than I did with any other carrier.

I am not a fan of the Storm 2. There is actually a SIM slot in it and I unlocked one and used it on GSM and I was not impressed. Like Nokia, Blackberry still hasnt mastered touchscreen yet, IMO.

You have 30 days, go play with the phone and see for yourself. I think the 9700 is a fantastic device and is the best Blackberry on the market. Its light, great battery life and an OS over 5.0 is great.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

You are absolutely right that at some level you have to choose between large screen and dedicated keyboard. Can't have both unless you have a side sliding keyboard ala Droid (which have their own issues!).

My problem is my fickleness! When I had my 8320, I admired those with iPhones, Storms, etc., and their large screens. I say to myself that I do more web surfing than messaging so that's what I want. Now that I have one, I miss the ease of text input via keyboard (though I still like the large screen for web surfing). I envy those with Blackberries and say messaging is what I really do, not much web surfing!! Man, I'm just hopeless.

What didn't you like about the Storm 2? Initial reports called it the touchscreen Blackberry that the Storm should have been all along. I should go to the Storm forum and read up there...

Nice phone collection there too. My friends & family think I'm nuts going through so many phones but I'm a novice compared with many here!

Most likely I'll go for the 9700.
    Last edited by NickAC; 02-23-2010 at 04:42 PM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I jumpe ship from one to a touchscreen and all I can say is that you will love the bold two. People that owned the original bold 9000 will give you grief about it not being worth being called bold and what not because of it's size and all but to tell you the truth the keyboard feels just right in your hand. Given that you don't have sausage fingerslike many freakazoids out there whining about the keyboard vein too small to type. I owned mine for about two months and I loved it. Why did I get rid of it well, let's just say I had my reasons. The browser defintely does turn many current bb users and some new ones away for it's truly outdated and makes you wonder what in the world is RIM thinking dishing out all these devices with the same ole broken down browser year after year. Nonetheless, there are good news that the browser will be upgrading to the webkit sometime this year. You can always use opera mini though . Good luck with your decision. Thus, the 9700 is a solid and possibly THE BEST bb to the date IMHO
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

I agree about the size compared with the 9000. It felt fine to me! And while the 9000 is a fine device, I think the 9700 is just way more elegant looking.

The BB browser didn't really bother me too much. It worked fine for what I wanted, and there is always Opera.

maevro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21671C22
    When you are a rep you dont pay for phones, or you get them for cost so paying next to nothing for most phones was amazing. It was a great job while I was in school getting my license for what I do now for a living.

The 9700 is not a powerhouse for websurfing. I find myself using the Google App more than the browser. The Google app is one app that bundles Google Search, Voice, Maps, Mail, etc

The Storm and Storm 2 didnt have enough power for a touchscreen phone and touchscreen phones always need more memory and faster processors. Yes, the Storm 2 was a nice step up from the original but I think they have a ways to go. Again, Apple got it right the first time while Nokia and RIM cant get it right after multiple tries.

I like light phones and the 9700 is LIGHT! You can customize the theme to make the today screen looks amazing and the amount of apps available is actually getting impressive. The phone has a nice amount of internal memory and reads my 16GB MicroSC card perfectly. It plays music well, though I think the 9000 might have had a better speakerphone, but thats the only better thing it had.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    You could go with the 9700 and iPod Touch between the two you would have your thirst quenched. I realize it means two devices but it may just keep you from going back and forth?

The 9700 is awesome but as mentioned the screen real estate is just not there. Not all touch screens are created equal and the iPod Touch is nice.

maevro: sounds like a sweet job! Custom themes are awesome! I posted a few here on Pinstack with my 8320. It's surprising how relatively easy it is once you get the basics figured out. I like the lightness of the 9700, and it also seemed more pocketable than the 9000. I don't use a belt clip, so this is important to me.

Thanks for the Storm opinions.

srl7741: good points. I might just do that. Although it's hard for me to imagine my phone thirst ever being quenched!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    What it boils down to is ... How do the phones work ? BB 9700 is a worker friendly phone with a super fast and ergonomic qwerty keyboard. Get used to it, and like me, no virtual keyboard touch phone screen is as good !
    Sorry Raton...
    And all the other goodies, the 9700 also has ...

Agreed about the keyboard vs touchscreen keyboard! But as I'm leaning towards the 9700, I see this:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ing-htc-hero2/

Life loves to throw you curve balls!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    The HTC is an attractive phone and Android is the same. Hahaha hmmm it's getting more difficult to choose the more we talk or post.
    I guess that's a good thing to have so many great options. Thanks to Google in part.

liakyh no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had absolutely no problems going from an iPhone 3G to a Bold 2 in terms of screen and input methods, but god almighty after experiencing the iPhone's UI navigating and setting up the Bold was lke switching from Windows 7 to MS-DOS. For the most part the Bold still seems like it was designed, software wise, for the company's BB system admin to setup then pass on to the CEO to use.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...what's good for a CEO or Barack Obama is good for me ...these guys don't waste time ! Information must be there and be accurate, All the time... Any thing else is frivoulous...

ivan1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21CFF818
    I went from a G1 to the 9700 and dont regret it at all. Love the looks of the BlackBerry.

I've been with my 9700 for about a week now and love it too! I do miss the big touchscreen and better browsing but it's a happy tradeoff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast