Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I was walking by a Telus kiosk in the mall a half hour ago ... BlackBerry Bold forum

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C

a Bold users impression of the Storm

Advertisement

So I was walking by a Telus kiosk in the mall a half hour ago
    and the sales rep had a Storm unboxed to demo for a customer, of
    course I had to swoop in for a quick look-see. First of all,
    there was no network connectivity so I was unable to try out the
    internet browser. I'm also fairly certain that there was an
    early OS version installed on the phone, as the accelerometer
    lag was quite profound. Those things aside, here's what I thought
    after a 10 minute try out.

First of all, I'm VERY in love with the Bolds keyboard, and I can
    say without a doubt that I HATE typing on the Storm. I hate
    touchscreen phones to start with, but I had an easier time typing
    on a friends iPhone for the first time then I did the Storm. I
    honestly think that RIMs plans for the clickscreen kind of back
    fired, I find it to make typing more difficult as opposed to
    easier, I did not find it did much to prevent mis-typing at all.

The second aspect of the Storm that I was curious to try out was
    the video playback quality of the display. I'll give the Storm
    credit, the large screen is nice, but the Bolds is still sharper
    by far. The Storms screen is nice, but it still doesn't look as
    nice as the Bolds, and I find simple things like fast forwarding
    very tedious with the touchscreen, and I don't have large fingers
    at all.

I know its not overly long, but these were just some of my first
    impressions after maybe 10 minutes.

Let me know what you guys think and I can try to answer questions
    about other aspects of the Storm that I may have overlooked.
    Last edited by cornelious0_0; 12-24-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Rafkin no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for the review CorneliousO, I currently have a Bold and spent the last 2 months trying to talk my wife out of getting the Storm. Finally I surprised her with an early Xmas gift of the 8900 and she loves it. I showed her your review and I think she is starting to see things my way. She is glad she did not wait for the Storm and happy with her 8900 coming from a Pearl.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I have all the devices and i can definitely tell you that the to be able to fully have a good opinion about the Storm you NEED to have it for a couple of days.
    The storm i first got is definitely not the one i have now. I learnt how to use it over time. Get what i mean ?
    The device is SUPERB (after having been updated - yes its sad) you just have to learn how to use it.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I have no doubt in my mind that using the Storm (like any other touchscreen phone) would grow easier over time, but I was basing my comments on a first impression.

The thing that sticks with most people (in my opinion) is first impressions, its tough to convince someone to buy a phone by saying "you'll like it in a few days". The first time I picked up the Bold it was instantly natural and much easier to use/type with then my Curve.

While I'm sure I would get used to the Storm and end up loving it I was trying to present information based on face value, which I'm sure many of you can appreciate.

I'm not talking down the Storm, its just not for me.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Oh i see your point. Indeed my very own first impressions of the storm werent as good as my current opinion AT ALL.
    Agreed sorry for the confusion.
    I just knew i would like it if i give it time (just like with the flip) and i do now i LOVE it

Thanks for the report cornelious, another great post.

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well I had the Storm for 3 days right when it came out (did not have it when the SW update was pushed out) and I just couldn't get used to it (and I spent hours each day just typing dummy emails and messing around). I found it to be substantially slower than the Bold in just about every way (maybe if I hadn't had the Bold first I wouldn't have minded the lag as much) and while I was able to get somewhat used to the keyboard on the Storm, for the volume of emails I type daily on my BB it just wasn't practical. Everyday simple functions like simply dialing someones number from the homescreen or using the shortcut keys are just not doable on the storm.

It was a sweet looking device and felt great in the hand but in the end it just solidified for me how much I like the Bold.

Just my $0.02

BerryJane no está en línea Stack level 1
    Have to agree with the majority here. I am not a fan of touchscreens. I love love love my bold far more than any of my other berrys. I even passed my Curve along to my husband who is now an addict as well. I don't like the pearl because of its keyboard and the storm is the same keyboard when upright, full qwerty when landscape. I think if your spoiled with a good keyboard its harder to go to a touchscreen. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I definitely agree with you and that is the sole reason why when people ask me which is my favorite BB that i CANNOT for the life of me decide between the Javelin and the Storm

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by BerryJane View Post
    Have to agree with the majority here. I am not a fan of touchscreens. I love love love my bold far more than any of my other berrys. I even passed my Curve along to my husband who is now an addict as well. I don't like the pearl because of its keyboard and the storm is the same keyboard when upright, full qwerty when landscape. I think if your spoiled with a good keyboard its harder to go to a touchscreen. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I agree, if the Storm was your first smartphone it would be much different, but after you've been spoiled by almost any full QWERTY phone it'll be a WAY tougher sell.

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    I personally like the storm, but of course i would have to wait for it to come on to a 3G network in Canada like Rogers, im not going to a CDMA just for a storm.
    On another note, though the storm is nice, im not totally sure i could give up my Bold without a fuss, i have put a lot in to it

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I know I sure wouldn't be able to give up my Bold, aside from the step down from 3G to CDMA I don't think I'd be willing to give up Wifi as well.

At least there's a berry for everyone, one way or another.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Well theres a 3G + Wifi Storm coming to Rogers between Feb and April 09
    BB Storm 9520

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    That'd be something a little more tempting for me but I'd probably still stick with my Bold.

At least at that point there would be no real differences in network speeds/options and the phone choice would be made based on the PHONE, what a novel idea

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    cornelious i swear to you my friend. Put side to side, my Storm on EDGE and my Bold on 3G DOWNTOWN Ottawa (3.5G 7.2mbps), the Storm beats the Bold at loading CNN.com by at least 1sec.
    Swear to you.
    And i am a Bold lover dont take me wrong. I just think RIM has a lot of work to do on their 3G servers because the EDGE ones are ridiculously fast.
    That said, the next 3G devices by RIM im sure will attain ridiculous speeds !

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I have no doubt that you are correct, but its not the speed of the 3G signal that I'm attracted to, its the signal strength.

In my home I had next to no reception through my CDMA carrier and while the same isn't entirely true of my current Edge connection, I have stronger 3G signal strength then anything I've encountered in my home.

The strength of my 3G signal is more then valuable and considering I use my Wifi connection for the majority of my browsing I'm not bothered if the Edge connection is or isn't faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast