Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by Ridicule The Orange issue and the AT&T one may actually not be ... BlackBerry Bold forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    The Orange issue and the AT&T one may actually not be related.
    This is true. But....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    RIM does not have anything to do with the network. They design the device and the software.
    RIM works very closely with every carrier they sell their BlackBerrys to. This is to insure the device works properly on each of the carriers networks. This is nothing new, nor unique to RIM. All the mobile phone manufacturers work very closely with the carriers, they must.

Thus the very fact that this is a problem that is KNOWN with both Orange and AT&T is a sign that RIM is NOT doing their normal excellent work.

Worse, right, wrong, or otherwise, Non_Enthusiasts read the papers or the internet and belive what they are reading, do not care about the details, and go for some other device.

Worse..... this gives Jobs and Company (Apple) fodder for attack. This gives every iPhone cult member and evangelist a license for a full blow condemnation of the BlackBerry.

Not Good.... Not Good At All......

Those of you that read my posts, my blog and everything I write know that I'm a huge BlackBerry Advocate, an AT&T and T-Mobile advocate, so believe me I'm concerned here.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hmm...maybe Orange is just pissy because Vodafone's getting the Storm

Oh, and Ge - you way over-simplified how much integration work they need to do. The chips they get for the radio's give you basic protocols, but the folks at RIM have a lot of integration work to do to tune the radios for the carrier networks. (and, CDMA and GSM networks are so different, it's not nearly as simple as swapping a chip on the board).

Hmm...Archer, you're again presuming it's the same problem. Without a statement out of either carrier, we can't be sure.
    Last edited by Ridicule; 10-11-2008 at 11:10 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I certainly appreciate your insight on this, Archer. You definitely have a closer connection to any of this than I do, which explains your deep concern.

Let's just hope that any advice offered in this thread will somehow reach its intended audience and corrective action taken, since as you have pointed out, it's getting close to being out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmtl View Post
    The bold works fine around the world except a couple of quirks here and there.
    Wrong......see this article

HITMONEY no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A06965
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmtl View Post
    Maybe we should change the topic to "A bold disaster for AT & T" ?

The bold works fine around the world except a couple of quirks here and there.
    Obviously not if Orange suspended their sale and sending back the ones they have to RIM. If thats a "quirk" to you I would hate to see what you define as a real problem.

lanestith no está en línea Stack level 2
    I want the phone so bad. I have been waiting forever.
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me C.R.E.A.M. - Wu Tang Clan

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    So just curious, what is the organe bold problem? Does anyone know? The bit I read didn't really say. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Frankly I would like to be wrong about this, but it's fact....

Read People...

Orange (being kind, listed as "Out Of Stock")
    PhonesReview
    Broadband DSL Reports
    Yahoo
    Boy Genius

Any questions?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    i dunno all the articles are basically the same one over and over. And the bold is working fine, so it would seem, every where else in the world. I don't see anything on Orange's website, no press release, recall or anything of the sort.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    i just keep getting more and more surpised about the problems people have with the Bold outside Canada. Again not to repeat myself but i personally have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER with my Bold in Ottawa, ON Canada.
    I really dont understand where the problems come from.
    Could it be that the Bold that was delivered around the world was ONLY enhanced for the Rogers network and hence the glitches on other networks and hence why ATT is waiting for it to work perfectly on their 3G network before release ?

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Could it be that the Bold that was delivered around the world was ONLY enhanced for the Rogers network
    That's my take.

Then unfortunately RIM failed to insure it was ready for the others. This is not as simple as most make it out to be. It's a shared responsibility. RIM is the primary party, they built the phone. The carrier is responsible for reporting any problems back to RIM, that may crop up after it's in the hands of the public. Then it reverts to RIM to get it sorted out.

I hate to say this, but you will notice that Apple did the right thing. They worked together with AT&T and now have a properly functioning phone. I know I have one, and it works great now.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    oh im not questionning Apple. They did make the consumers suffer from july to october lol but now its fully functional. Ill be the first one to praise Apple but yeah ...
    Youre right once again, RIM messed up by doing this and all we can hope for is that they will fix it. Im scared of them not dropping the Bold but putting it more in the background and having a lineup being more like :
    Kickstart - Javelin - Storm/Thunder
    as they all have a similar design / share the micro-usb ...
    Oh well time will tell but as i previously mentioned (and thanks to my dear friend archer's fabulous excuse) i am getting a javelin on top of my Bold when i can get my hands on one.

tiascurve66 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME
    I understand that everyone is eagerly awaiting the Bold but in my opinion I would wait for the bugs to get worked out. You haven't spent any money on this device as of yet. How would you feel if you shell out money for this phone and you get it and it's bad? I don't know how you would feel but I would be pissed. When the phone is up to At&t standards then it will be released. Until then we all have to wait and to be honest I am very happy with my Curve and until I grow tired of it I will keep it.

Again this is just my opinion.
    BB Girls Rule !

We Don't Tolerate Scum

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    This is all speculation.

We can come up with tonnes of theories. Unless someone speaks up (no one will admit fault) we can keep guessing.

I feel bad for all the AT&T users, but I can assure you, the wait will be worth it.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    I have to agree that at&t seems to be the main catalyst for the "disaster" here. It is my opinion that they have a priority list and RIM isn't currently at the top of it.

Seems funny to me that the story about iPhone 3Gs are hogging the network bandwidth has been silenced. But the story of RIMs Bold OS being a problem is being blown out of proportion. I mean seriously 4 months of testing the OS and it STILL fails?! I'm thinking probably not. RIM is running a business here and being that incompetent at something they have otherwise done rather well for the past few years only sounds like BS to me.

Didn't a certain other phone make its debut in June? And with those badboys selling like hot cakes who would want to stop that? Not at&t or Apple that's who. Except now they have more than one problem on their hands and they don't know how to solve it gracefully.

Selling a lot of iPhones isn't a problem but it is when another phone that needs that same bandwidth to do its thing enters the game. Suddenly you have to make a choice. The easiest choice to make is to keep selling the problem device while holding back the new comer while trying to fix the problem quietly. RIM doesn't like the idea but they go along with it because at&t is one of their biggest clients. And alienating them would be foolish. But holding back is only hurting RIM, their reputation, their stock, and their ever so loyal customer base. Dropping at&t would send the right message. If a company doesn't have the right ideals and business practices you don't do business with them. In the short term it hurts RIM but in the long run it hurts at&t and any other company that does business like this. When it stops being about the customer and about the money, there won't be any money to make in the end.

Disclaimer: everything I had to say is based on speculation, no facts.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast