Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To those that read the post before I edited it, I feel as if I ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    Apple

Advertisement

To those that read the post before I edited it, I feel as if I had got the thread off topic. If any would like to read it that didn't get a chance I have saved it for future conversations.
    Last edited by BHP77; 11-23-2009 at 10:32 PM.

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes mcgee View Post
    Lol I was gonna say, who the hell wants just FOUR phones available from this huge company, then I thought of the iPhone. -doh- Once device, one OS, full concentration.
    Apple has refined and refined the iPhone. A strategy that is paying off handsomely and one that is shared by world class companies like BMW and Mercedes Benz. An exemplary example of a focus that RIM seems unable, or unwilling to maintain.

You will notice that neither BMW or Mercedes have taken their top of the line automobiles and downsized them under the guise of making them better.

But then again, they do not have a customer base like RIM that seems to accept nearly anything, and make up excuses to defend RIM to boot.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Exactlly, one choice, you love it, hate it or deal with it. Period. RIM gives you choices in design. If you bought a BB for the simple purpose of being a media player, and to have cool games I would argue that you made the wrong decision on what your needs and wants were. I would also say that if you bought an iphone for business purposes and to email, text, keep in contact with your people in the fast paced world that we live in I would also say that you made the wrong decision for what your needs and wants are. They both have their own capability s and focus. Apple-media, RIM- efficient business. Their focus is different. True that RIM let's the carrier dictate what is what in the final hardware and it has hurt them to an extent, but it seems that they are getting on track with what people want, while staying true to what they do best and not leaving that behind to try and chase a market that it doesn't belong in. If I were in HS again do you think I would want or for that case need a BB, no. If I'm just some guy who goes to work and comes home to play video games do I really need a BB, no. If I'm some one who has people that depend on me to be efficient, a leader and they need the ability to be able to be in touch with me 90% of the day, whether it be through the phone,text,or email, calendar sync to keep me up to date. Is the iphone the choice for me, no. The thing about it is that apple has put it eggs all in one basket and no doubt it has turned out well for them, but they still only have one trough that they are feeding from where as RIM have seen that their people are on every major carrier abroad. Now, they have to appease there 2 parties here, 1-the people that purchase the product and 2- the companies that market and distribute their product. It puts them in a spot, and I think they've done a fine job at both with out loosing them selves in a I'm 40 but I want everyone to think I'm 20 world. It seems that over the past months they have seen what they need to do and are making that transition from strictly business to a all around device with out losing focus on what they do best. You say full concentration, I say that's impossible for RIM as they have a lot more on the table than apple.
    Last edited by BHP77; 11-24-2009 at 04:59 PM.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    RIM has never tried to reinvent the wheel. They too keep refining their products. They just offer more than one model, same as benz and bmw. They know what works and stick with it. Upgrading as they can and see fit. They also realize that one size doesn't fit all.

It's all about choices. I give RIM a lot of credit for making the significant choices they have.

For example, their choice to ignore their loyal top of the line (at the time) BB 9000 buyers and give the trackpad and other great refinements to the Curve crowd. This was RIM's choice and there is nothing wrong with it. In fact it was very wise, as I'm certain that there are probably many more that prefer the size of the Curve, than the size of the Bold 9000.

Thus RIM makes more money, makes more Curve owners happy and I say, more power to them.

We as users, also have choices.

Mine was to celebrate an opportunity to re-prioritize the order and devices I use.

I've promoted my iPhone3Gs to my primary device (in place of the old 9000), my Droid to my second device, and my new 9700 to my third. This way the smaller keyboard, and display of the 9700 is no problem as it sees minimum usage, while I still get a new BB as I do each year.

The iPhone3Gs has exceeded my expectations in terms of how easy it is to type on now that they have given it a horizontal keyboard. At 112mm wide, it's far more spacious than the 58mm wide keyboard of the 9700.

Then I have the new Droid which I initially bought to enjoy the Android 2.0 experience, but which has since turned into the biggest surprise of all. It's a great phone and works seamlessly with the data I put up in the cloud.

Now, will all bases covered it's a whole new look, a completely new experience, and I've never been happier.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    You say full concentration, I say that's impossible for RIM as they have a lot more on the table than apple.
    Hmm, when you put it that way it also makes even more sense. RIM would probably have one GREAT phone if they followed that business model, but your argument about the different parties to satisfy explains why it's smarter and a bit more profitable to have those multiple products. I'd add to your argument that there are even smaller parties within the consumer group that need to be specifically catered to.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    You say full concentration, I say that's impossible for RIM as they have a lot more on the table than apple.
    Let's not forget it was RIM's choice to create what is in my opinion far too many devices. They have created their own problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes mcgee View Post
    RIM would probably have one GREAT phone if they followed that business model, but your argument about the different parties to satisfy explains why it's smarter and a bit more profitable to have those multiple products.
    The argument for multiple products is one that I agree with.

Just not so many like RIM has created in the last 18 months. This has been a huge shift in their original and very successful strategy. The very strategy that put them at the top of the heap of smartphone manufacturers. The very strategy that created a wildly successful business model.

However since RIM's decision to enter the consumer space with the Pearl, they seem to be frantically building as many new devices as they can. They allowed the quality control on all fronts to fall into mediocrity and the result witnessed by those of us long time customers is very disappointing.

There was a time when you could buy a new BlackBerry at it just worked, and worked well. Perfect? No. Excellent? Yes.

Beginning with the Bold 9000 it was buggy OS after buggy OS all "leaked" so as to use the public as beta testers. We were forced to do this so as to try and make the devices we spent our money on, work as advertised.

Just one year earlier this was not the case. I was a very loyal and outspoken supporter of RIM until they begin to let us down. Then came the excuses from those users who would buy into anything. If not, then why did they defend RIM for a sub par product? It was their money spent, and yet they didn't seem to hold RIM accountable to their own previously set standards?

Anyway, the bottom line is time marches on, and the good news is that in a free enterprise system the best rise to the top.

Right now RIM is no longer the juggernaut they once were. Large and powerful?....absolutely, but able to continue as such?...only time will tell.

mbranscum no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2161A8BC
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    Perhaps nobody cares that RIM is walking away from the BOLD 9000 instead of upgrading it as they promised.

This acceptance by users, validates that RIM can get away with anything they want. Their followers will act like the Apple Faithful and accept whatever they are charged for, and RIM has it made.
    RIM has stated they are continuing to support and manufacture the 9000. They have said the 9700 is NOT a replacement.

Please, read what they are saying before bashing them.
    Follow me on Twitter

Cool Smartphone User Guy

Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    RIM has stated they are continuing to support and manufacture the 9000. They have said the 9700 is NOT a replacement.

Please, read what they are saying before bashing them.
    Oops, sorry, I thought this was a forum of public opinion where one had the right of free speech?

vinnyjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    I own 3 BB's, 8120, 9000 and the best, 9700. IMO after using the 9700 I can not put it down. To me there is just no comparison, the 9700 is such a owner friendly phone to use. Faster, smoother, sleeker and after using the keyboard for a day or two I'm completely use to it. The 9700 might have the look of the 8900 but that is it. The 9700 is a light year ahead in technology. Get one, you will love it.

The beauty of RIM's current state of affairs, is that one has a mind boggling array of new models to choose from. More than ever in the history of the corporation.

mynameisJAYR85 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2158552F
    Coming from a 8900 this is NOT a Curve. It's definitely something bigger, better and faster.
    I'm a Blackberry Bold...lookin for my Sidekick

mbranscum no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2161A8BC
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    Oops, sorry, I thought this was a forum of public opinion where one had the right of free speech?
    It is and you do, however I was responding to your statement in your earlier post, "Perhaps nobody cares that RIM is walking away from the BOLD 9000 instead of upgrading it as they promised."

They aren't walking away from the device. They're still going to continue to support and manufacture it.
    Follow me on Twitter

Cool Smartphone User Guy

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisJAYR85 View Post
    Coming from a 8900 this is NOT a Curve. It's definitely something bigger, better and faster.
    What about this fact makes the Baby Bold / Curve 9700 "something bigger"?

9700 size: 109 x 60 x 14.0 mm
    8900 size: 109 x 60 x 13.5 mm (oh, perhaps it's the 1/2mm in thickness? )

Better and faster than an 8900, I agree. After all RIM gave it 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    It is and you do, however I was responding to your statement in your earlier post, "Perhaps nobody cares that RIM is walking away from the BOLD 9000 instead of upgrading it as they promised."

They aren't walking away from the device. They're still going to continue to support and manufacture it.
    Respectfully:

I'm simply stating as a long time BB Advocate and user, that reads nearly everything published about RIM's smartphones, I used to covet them as the best. When RIM told the community that they were upgrading the Bold 9000 they did nothing of the sort.

They got cheap and used the same case as the 8900 with little change, added a higher res display, and 3G. Those are the major changes to the Curve 8900, not the Bold 9000 which was the ONLY Bold.

So what we honestly have is a very nicely upgraded Curve 9700 or Baby Bold.

You will specifically note, that I have not said I do not like the phone, I even bought two.

I always buy all the new smartphones of interest, so as to speak from first hand experience, not speculation.

As I have stated in earlier posts, it would be like Toyota promising a new Camry. Then upon publishing photos it's the size of a Corolla. Would you really put up with, and buy that? I think not.

That is exactly what RIM did and too many people are afraid to be honest and say that.

What is a bit disturbing about this trend is that some RIM supporters are learning from Apple, be Arrogant, and Defend the phone you are Married To, as though You Made it Personally.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast