Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

simply put: form factor, battery life, features, processor, ram, touch pad and keyboard.. it's the ... BlackBerry Bold forum

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Advertisement

simply put: form factor, battery life, features, processor, ram, touch pad and keyboard.. it's the most well balanced blackberry ever released and is targetable to the largest consumer/business base and runs the 5.0 OS better than any handset released. I have yet to run into any owners of the phone that have returned to the 9000 or 8900.

In a convo earlier via bbm my buddy (Mfizzle), said it best:

MSF: On paper it may seem like that (slight changes) though, until you actually use one.
    Last edited by blackninja; 11-23-2009 at 04:43 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Couldn't figure out where to put this but here it goes LOL

I saw some screen protectors available for the 8520. Will these fit the 9700? If so I will have the in-store rep install them for me.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    don't know but let let us know if they do!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    It will be awhile before I find out because I can't upgrade til March. I just wanted to know if anyone knew before I bought them and they don't fit.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja View Post
    simply put: form factor, battery life, features, processor, ram, touch pad and keyboard.. it's the most well balanced blackberry ever released and is targetable to the largest consumer/business base and runs the 5.0 OS better than any handset released. I have yet to run into any owners of the phone that have returned to the 9000 or 8900.

In a convo earlier via bbm my buddy (Mfizzle), said it best:

MSF: On paper it may seem like that (slight changes) though, until you actually use one.
    blackninja - I couldn´t have put it better.
    Yeah ! How many of you have returned to the 9000 or the 8900 ? Regardless ?

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    For clarification I think the 9700 is a fantastic device... period.

In addition I don't care what the heck they call it. It's a great BlackBerry.

The only issue I have is that unlike so many enthusiasts here that are blindly following RIM, and making up excuses for this and that. Why not simply look at the facts?

RIM has introduced a large number of handsets over the last year, trying to find what works. That's not a bad thing at all.

But to _take away_ the very "features" they bragged about just one year ago when introducing the BOLD 9000.

"The largest BB hi-res display", the most comfortable "spacious keyboard", etc. then act like it's no big deal that they abandoned this feature set, is a very telling move.

Perhaps nobody cares that RIM is walking away from the BOLD 9000 instead of upgrading it as they promised.

This acceptance by users, validates that RIM can get away with anything they want. Their followers will act like the Apple Faithful and accept whatever they are charged for, and RIM has it made.

I must give RIM credit for learning from Apple, and the way they do business. No wonder the iPhone is still the talk of the town.

RIM is envious and scrambling as fast as they can to "become cool".

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...And they will ! I hope to benefit from it ! I am sure, so is everybody !

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    ...And they will ! I hope to benefit from it ! I am sure, so is everybody !
    I could not agree more.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I don't think RIM is "trying to find what works". If that were the case then they would only have one device available. What I think there doing is what I stated earlier, coming out with devices that do everything well and most things great with pretty much the same "features" on all of them. The design is what is setting them apart. As I said before, some people find the little design differences between devices and find the one that appeals to them best. They one get a great device, regardless of the name or number so they know there not giving up anything by choosing a 8900 over a 9700, 3G yes, but I think we'll see that change. Bottom line is everybody is different, and likes different things, and require different things, this I be live is why RIM has put out so many devices in the recent months. There not trying to be "cool" just offer people basically the same device underneath wrapped in different plastic to suit each of our own needs and wants. This is brilliant, why not do that. I gives everybody what they want without sacrificing performance. Now when I started this post I had just placed my order for the 9700. I was a little upset with the fact that RIM has taking away my big screen and keyboard and slapped my beloved BOLD name on something I felt(prejudding, always a bad thing) fell short. After reading some of the replys it has really made me think about what RIM is doing, and the direction they're going.

Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    I don't think RIM is "trying to find what works". If that were the case then they would only have one device available. What I think there doing is what I stated earlier, coming out with devices that do everything well and most things great with pretty much the same "features" on all of them. The design is what is setting them apart. As I said before, some people find the little design differences between devices and find the one that appeals to them best. They one get a great device, regardless of the name or number so they know there not giving up anything by choosing a 8900 over a 9700, 3G yes, but I think we'll see that change. Bottom line is everybody is different, and likes different things, and require different things, this I be live is why RIM has put out so many devices in the recent months. There not trying to be "cool" just offer people basically the same device underneath wrapped in different plastic to suit each of our own needs and wants. This is brilliant, why not do that. I gives everybody what they want without sacrificing performance. Now when I started this post I had just placed my order for the 9700. I was a little upset with the fact that RIM has taking away my big screen and keyboard and slapped my beloved BOLD name on something I felt(prejudding, always a bad thing) fell short. After reading some of the replys it has really made me think about what RIM is doing, and the direction they're going.
    Great post! I do agree with many of your points.

After all this is a forum of public opinion and I enjoy reading others as well as registering mine. For example I've just done a 180, and stopped at AT&T and bought a new 9700.

It was the trackpad that sold me, and the fact that I decided to just ignore what direction RIM seemed to be headed in (after all I'm probably wrong) and embrace the change.

In addition since I never limit myself to just one smartphone, I decided to re-prioritize my usage of the three I currently have active on their own lines.

After sitting down with my iPhone3Gs and the 9700 (my 12th BB) I found that as I expected the keyboard was like my old 8900 Curve (not bad at all) I decided to compare my typing speed to that of my iPhone 3Gs. It was a real eye opener as I didn't realize how fast I was on it. Their was no speed difference between the 9700 and iPhone (for me).

In first place and since the horizontal keypad on the iPhone3Gs is so much more spacious than the 9700, I will now be using the iPhone3Gs, for the majority of my emails and other work. This way I will also be able to benefit from the beautiful large display for my web work, which I do when away from my laptop. It's the reason I bought the iPhone 3Gs to begin with.

Then in second place I will use the Droid, as it's also got a great display and syncs up so nicely to my docs in the cloud.

Third place with be the 9700, a phone that I enjoy more as I'm not relying on it for all my email as I did my 9000.

So I've lost nothing, reordered my priorities, and gained a new BB 9700. Three good choices.
    Last edited by mobile99; 11-23-2009 at 09:00 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^That's certainly a good point about what they are trying to offer users. 33 devices in 3 years would sure support that idea but I still think they let the carrier dictate too much of what the device can or can't have. 3G on one model and not on another or WiFi on one but not on the other.
    It's really hard to believe they (RIM) can't include all the essentials on each new device no matter who the carrier is. Consumers are chasing their tails going in circles trying to keep up with what device does what and who the carrier is that offer which one.

It's all confusing, try putting yourself into the shoes of the average person who want to purchase a new Blackberry? When you factor in the different OS's it's worse.

Anyway back on topic, having owned the B1 I think the B2 (9700) is a big winner. I really like the device and prefer it over the original one. (harware wise). The OS is really no different.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    ^^That's certainly a good point about what they are trying to offer users. 33 devices in 3 years would sure support that idea but I still think they let the carrier dictate too much of what the device can or can't have. 3G on one model and not on another or WiFi on one but not on the other.
    It's really hard to believe they (RIM) can't include all the essentials on each new device no matter who the carrier is. Consumers are chasing their tails going in circles trying to keep up with what device does what and who the carrier is that offer which one.

It's all confusing, try putting yourself into the shoes of the average person who want to purchase a new Blackberry? When you factor in the different OS's it's worse.

Anyway back on topic, having owned the B1 I think the B2 (9700) is a big winner. I really like the device and prefer it over the original one. (harware wise). The OS is really no different.
    I agree with you, the carriers have too much influence of the manufacturers when it comes to features.

Now that I have had a short period of time with the 9700, I also agree that it's build quality is better and I can see the overall appeal to those who want a small device.

Plus the beauty is now that the model lines and sizes have blurred into one, there is no need to care about which is which. It just works and that's what counts. The extra money paid for the 9700 will help RIM develop more hardware.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I would love to see RIM build from only 4 phones. The new Pearl (9100 I think?) New Curve, New Bold (9700) and the Storm 2.

Put every single feature in each phone and stop with the xx models.

Then tighten down the OS and stop the leaks.

Holy Cow (quick) someone send that idea to RIM in care of PinStackers.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

I would love to see RIM build from only 4 phones. The new Pearl (9100 I think?) New Curve, New Bold (9700) and the Storm 2.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    You are on the right track. After all when the G-Machine kicks in everyone will scatter.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4

Lol I was gonna say, who the hell wants just FOUR phones available from this huge company, then I thought of the iPhone. -doh- Once device, one OS, full concentration.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast