Hi - Can anyone give me some bullet points on the logic of switching from ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2

9700 .v. 8900

Advertisement

Hi -

Can anyone give me some bullet points on the logic of switching from an 8900 (Curve/Javelin) to a 9700 Bold ? The BB website comparison tool does not reveal much and local mobile phone shops seem to lack sufficient technical expertise to know much difference between the two (I am in the UK). I have been generally happy with my 8900, save for some bad battery drain issues caused seemingly by the standard supplied pouch - and again now that the unit is over 1 yr old.
    My main desires would be a BB that does what it does but also incorporates the best features of an iPhone as well (dream on...?!?) - bigger memory, better screen, faster web access.......

Grateful for your help in advance.

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    The 9700 has more memory, faster processor, improved input (better keyboard/trackpad), not to mention a fairly clear upgrade path to OS6......the 8900 also doesn't sport 3G connectivity. Hopefully this helps....but I suggest playing around with one, and see if it fits your needs better. As far as the capabilities of an iphone vs. the 9700, aside from gaming I have yet to find anything the iphone can do that a BB can't. Good luck!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Also, the 9700s battery has roughly double the battery life of the 8900, which is a real asset. At the end of a data busy 16 hr day, I still have 30-40% left.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi Osprey -read back on this thread:
    http://forums.pinstack.com/f276/the_...ssions-116042/

Bottom line: Got mine from the UK, in Nov 09, and haven't looked back since.And I've tried others (Apple, Android etc).Go for it !
    Last edited by Delfim; 05-23-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Delfim ^^^^'s review is excellent. The three main advantages of the 9700 over the 8900 are: Faster Processor (Virtually no hourglass); more memory (meaning it is forward-compatible and will not be obsolete for a long time); and the optical trackpad. The trackpad will make the trackball feel obsolete in merely a few seconds. Pro reviews at Pinstack, Crackberry and GSMArena call the 9700 "The best BlackBerry Ever", and several Stackers that use the device agree. As strong as the 8900 is, the 97 will blow it away - -
    However, it is the best BlackBerry ever. I don't think it is intended to compete with the IPhone, or the Android OS devices. Although the camera is great, and the internet over Wi-Fi is very good, at it's heart it's still a business device.

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile Thanks

Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful replies. I am convinced !

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Delfim ^^^^'s review is excellent. The three main advantages of the 9700 over the 8900 are: Faster Processor (Virtually no hourglass); more memory (meaning it is forward-compatible and will not be obsolete for a long time); and the optical trackpad. The trackpad will make the trackball feel obsolete in merely a few seconds. Pro reviews at Pinstack, Crackberry and GSMArena call the 9700 "The best BlackBerry Ever", and several Stackers that use the device agree. As strong as the 8900 is, the 97 will blow it away - -
    However, it is the best BlackBerry ever. I don't think it is intended to compete with the IPhone, or the Android OS devices. Although the camera is great, and the internet over Wi-Fi is very good, at it's heart it's still a business device.

the 4th advantage would be 3G
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Themes for the 8900 will work on the 9700, correct?

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yes they do

Cool, thanks C!

Optyx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21CD6654
    My first Blackberry was the 7130e, you guys remember the original BB's with that side scroll wheel :-/ I changed from Verizon to AT&T and I had to give up the Blackberry for about 2 years. Last week I bought the 9700 from a guys on Craigslist and I have to say I love this phone. The optical track pad is so much nicer than the scroll ball. My only complaint is I set the screen brightness and turned off the adjustment to light, for some reason it didn't take and still adjusts, hopefully theres and 5.0.0.x upgrade coming that fixes this issue on AT&T.

Optyx, if you're still using the .405 OS from AT&T, you might want to consider the TurkCell release of .656 which you can get here.

Let us know if you have any questions about OS upgrades. You'll also find detailed instructions in the Technical Support Blog link in my signature.