Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm due for an upgrade and was going to upgrade my Curve 8900 to the ... BlackBerry Bold forum

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3

9700 for Free or 9780 for $130

Advertisement

I'm due for an upgrade and was going to upgrade my Curve 8900 to the Bold 9780 at the Tmo store for $130 and their ridiculous upgrade fee ($20-30?). But I went into a Radio Shack and they're giving the Bold 9700 as a free upgrade (I just have to pay Tmo's upgrade fee).

I know the new 9780 just basically has the 5MP camera and the 512 memory, compared to the 9700. I think I can live with the 9700, and would rather not pay the $130, but wanted to get opinions from others to see if anyone thinks paying $130 is worth it for the 9780 over the free 9700.

The 5MP camera is surely a nice to have thing, but it's not a huge deal for me. My 8900 does have the same 256MB of memory like the 9700, and I currently have 76MB left on my 8900. I'm not a huge app user, but I do add one or two now and then. But having more memory would surely be nice of course.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I believe that the only other advantage of the 9780 over the 9700, along with the camera, is that the 9780 comes preloaded with OS6 and the new browser. Otherwise, the phones are identical.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    The 9780 has some more memory and few enhancements over the 9700, if I where you I'd look around in diferent places, aka internet deals I bet you can get it cheaper, amazon and some others iternet retailes will get you all set

If anyone can point me to a retailer online, that would be great. I just checked amazon, ebay, craigslist, and some googling, but nothing "cheap" was found. I'll keep trying to the weekend. Then probably just end up getting the free 9700. I so do want the latest and greatest though, but free vs. $130...ugh. My wife is due for an upgrade too, so I could always use her upgrade later :-).

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    WireFly.com and LetsTalk.com usually have some good deals.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I had a 9700 for seven months, and it was a magnificent device. I never came close to using my memory. In this day and time free is good. I say go for the 9700, pocket the rest for you and or your family. Just my .02.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

ShellyMiddleton no está en línea Stack level 2
    If the 9700 only has 256MB of memory, make sure you’re willing to do without OS 6. As far as I know, only devices with 512MB of memory and up can have OS 6.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    9700 can run os 6, I know because I'm using it right now
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

ShellyMiddleton no está en línea Stack level 2
    That’s good to know. I wish they had been able to make OS 6 for the Storm 2. ;-)

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I read rumors that T-Mobile may have a deal going for the holidays (11/20 or 11/25) like on Fathers day when every phone was free with a new contract or upgrade. I would wait and see if this happens.

Thanks everyone. Thanks for the links RogerG, I'll check it out. Though I may end up taking the advice of chokem to go for the free option and save me the $. Thanks jeffallen for verifying os6 works on the 9700.

Aside from this, my real preference is to get me a Torch, or maybe even try an Android phone. But I'll save that for another time ;-). Thanks again.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Your most welcome, hope everything works out for you,
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

thementor05 no está en línea Stack level 1
    its not worth it! Trust me! Im in the cell phone business. And the upgrade fee is $18 only.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    TMO is doing a buy one get one free for Black Friday through Jan 18th http://www.tmonews.com/2010/11/t-mob...ogo-promotion/

Just a follow-up. Thanks pdxmatts for the heads-up about black friday.

After my last post, Radio Shack said I would have had to change my tmo BB data plan to the $30 data plan (from $20 data plan). So I looked to jump to another carrier and considered an android phone (or Torch). But cost-wise, I would pay more a month on the other carriers. So I went to the tmo store and got help from a first-rate guy. He said I could get the buy-1-get-1-free 9780 ($130) and he could let me keep the same data plan on both phones. One problem, no black color (for me). I had to wait. It came in this week. I got it today (black for me, white for wife). One other bonus. There was an extra $50 rebate on the phone. So after all rebates, the cost for both phones is $80. Of course there was the $18x2 upgrade fee, but I was fine with that.

Thanks again for all the responses and help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast