Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by j llama I asked RIM about the Dragons. http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...jump=true#M354 FUn stuff lol ... BlackBerry Bold forum

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by j llama View Post
    I asked RIM about the Dragons.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...jump=true#M354

FUn stuff

lol
    LOL I love it!. that guy will be scratching his head for days!
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

FiddlerMD no está en línea Device Pro
    jikdoc - microsd is external and does not require any battery pulls (SIM does, however). the card can be inserted/extracted all day w/o reboots (much like all the newer bb's).

RCStacker - can't comment on battery life since I had it plugged in while i was using it... plus the whole "pre-production" thing

to all asking questions about e-mail - i can't answer them (unfortunately) cause the device has no SIM and is not provisioned.. hence no email access. If i get a chance to provision it, i'll make sure to let you all know - i'm just as excited about the HTML potential as the rest of you (yeah RIM.. welcome to 1996.. )

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    Well.......Guess we CDMA users will have to wait........AGAIN......

and quit hijacking the thread w/ the dragons - for those who don't get it - it's a joke..

Quote Originally Posted by kkwus74 View Post
    Well.......Guess we CDMA users will have to wait........AGAIN......
    seriously .. what else is new.. at least we're getting a curve soon

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    CDMA users will always be waiting........ you guys are like the forgotten children.
    The mobile manufacturers hate you. They make phones for the whole world, then they remember... oh shi* we have to throw something together for the cdma children.

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    CDMA users will always be waiting........ you guys are like the forgotten children.
    The mobile manufacturers hate you. They make phones for the whole world, then they remember... oh shi* we have to throw something together for the cdma children.

hahaha well for those who stick to carrier phone they usually benefit from waiting anyways

example: AT&T releases 8100>Alltel releases 8130 with external microSD and 4.3 OS> AT&T has JUST released 8110 with external microsd, 4.3 os and gps

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    So---since you are surfing via wifi---I am assuming it's like the iPhone then? I was a bit confused when the 8320 came out---seemed like that only good the wifi was for was the H@H... Can you get email to the phone through the Wifi??? You know, without the push will it just go to the message box? Or if you download the yahoo/gmail applications, can you check your email that way?
    Here is how Wi-Fi works:

First of all it doesn't matter what type of device you are using Wi-Fi on, it could be a laptop, or BlackBerry.

Wi-Fi is just another delivery method for the signal to your BB.

You either get the wireless signal via the Cellular System or via Wi-Fi which is short range, about 100 to 150 feet when broadcast inside a building like Starbucks, where they call it a "Hot-Spot". That term hot spot came from the fact that the wireless signal is broadcast 360% from the Access Point (the device that turns the wired connection coming into the building, into a wireless broadcast) for a (short) range which differs based on a variety of things such as walls, equipment etc. The result is a "Spot" where you recieve a wireless signal that is faster than cellular.

Wi-Fi is just another way to deliver the internet and email to your device. Let's use your home computer as an example. Most people gain broadband internet access via a cable modem connected to the TV cable which also delivers high speed internet access to their computer. Comcast, SBC, AT&T, all offer high speed access to your home via the existing cable coming in for your TV.

In my case that cable connects to a Wi-Fi router which then turns that signal into a wireless signal, and broadcasts it throughout my home.

This way I can be in the family room (or anywhere in my home) for example, with my laptop (or BlackBerry) using it's built in Wi-Fi card, to receive the signal. Therefore I have the same functionality than if it was limited to sitting on the desk hard wired to the cable modem and cable. In my case I can also be sitting outside by the pool.....

I have been using Wi-Fi everywhere, everyday for over five years, on my laptop, and now that my 8120 is equipped with Wi-Fi it's all the same. The only difference is the way the particular device functions. I literally spend 100% of my computer time on the net via Wi-Fi and my ThinkPad laptop. When not, then I'm on via my BlackBerry so that I can continue to process the huge volume of emails I get each day.

I meet clients everyday at different Starbucks all over California and use my laptop for presentations, and other business. Then after the meeting for leisure, I simply use my 8120 (or 8820) for my email etc while enjoying some coffee.

Now to BlackBerry Specific Examples.
    1) You can get pop mail, very easily. I use Gmail pop via Outlook on both my Laptop and my BB.

2) Web based mail like regular Gmail, Yahoo mail etc is also delivered to your BB, just the same as if you were "not using Wi-Fi". As again, just as a recap, Wi-Fi is nothing more than a different delivery method of the the signal to your BB. You either get it over the Cellular System, or you get it over Wi-Fi. Both ways you still get "push mail".

3) Therefore I can get my email, or web access the same over Wi-Fi just the same as over the air via the cellular system.

4) The one exception, and thus why Wi-Fi is such a big deal for people like me is that it _sends the signal_ at a _much faster_ rate of speed. Therefore I can load web pages faster.

5) Push mail works the same no matter how you get the signal. As does POP mail.

Hopefully this is helpful info to help you understand why Wi-Fi is very important to those of us that have access to places that broadcast a Wi-Fi signal. In my case I also get it at my office at work, the hotels I stay at, in some airports and other places such as Barnes and Noble, and Borders books all of which have Wi-Fi service as it's so popular.

BlackBerry by RIM.... Simply Brilliant!

Cheers!

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post

INow to BlackBerry Specific Examples.
    1) You can get pop mail, very easily. I use Gmail pop via Outlook on both my Laptop and my BB.
    I believe the question was if WIFI would get you Push mail with out being on a data Plan, I can't speak for all carriers but I have to assume since it is a RIM service that it works ver close to the same, If you do not have a Data plan with rim, you can not get push mail to the device. Now Google or Yahoos App may still work with WIFI and no Carrier data plan, And there may be Thrid part program that will imulate OL that I do not know about, but your wording makes it appear that right out of the box you can hook up to WIF and get mail on a BB. And this i hold to be Untrue.
    The question was

"Can you get email to the phone through the Wifi??? You know, without the push will it just go to the message box?"
    So it is my firm beleif the answer is NO, with out A push service the message will not "Just go into Messages"
    Last edited by pda.teck; 05-01-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

becsta no está en línea Stack level 2
    I so want all the features of this phone. But I dont know about the size. I currently have an 8707g and was hoping to go smaller but the 9000 is larger than the 8707. Will have to wait till I can see it before I make a decision, although it could take forever to get to Australia.

bpd
    bpd no está en línea Stack level 2
    Any idea when it will come to canada (Rogers)?

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you don't have a sim card to put into the device? If be glade to come by and use my sum card to do further testing... I'm serious

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    o i cant wait to get mine soon o yea boo ya
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by pda.teck View Post
    I believe the question was if WIFI would get you Push mail with out being on a data Plan, I can't speak for all carriers but I have to assume since it is a RIM service that it works ver close to the same, If you do not have a Data plan with rim, you can not get push mail to the device. Now Google or Yahoos App may still work with WIFI and no Carrier data plan, And there may be Thrid part program that will imulate OL that I do not know about, but your wording makes it appear that right out of the box you can hook up to WIF and get mail on a BB. And this i hold to be Untrue.
    The question was

"Can you get email to the phone through the Wifi??? You know, without the push will it just go to the message box?"
    So it is my firm beleif the answer is NO, with out A push service the message will not "Just go into Messages"

That was the question....which again leaves me confused. Why have a device with "double" internet...if you are paying for the data service, then why need the wifi? I can understand the speed, but I was always under the assumption that any device will always process as fast as the inner processer lets it. IE: I might have a 500 gallon pump feeding through a 2in diameter tube...but it wont go any faster than a 100 gallon pump through the same tube if the pressure is too much for the 2in tube to handle. KWIM?

Now if it enabled the push email, then I can see the deal-----saving $20 a month! But if that's not the case then it's just like a WM phone---email isn't pushed but you can operate without spending the $20 a month as long as you remain in a wifi area.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

jr_sy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    That was the question....which again leaves me confused. Why have a device with "double" internet...if you are paying for the data service, then why need the wifi? I can understand the speed, but I was always under the assumption that any device will always process as fast as the inner processer lets it. IE: I might have a 500 gallon pump feeding through a 2in diameter tube...but it wont go any faster than a 100 gallon pump through the same tube if the pressure is too much for the 2in tube to handle. KWIM?

Now if it enabled the push email, then I can see the deal-----saving $20 a month! But if that's not the case then it's just like a WM phone---email isn't pushed but you can operate without spending the $20 a month as long as you remain in a wifi area.
    You need the BB data plan to register your device and be an user with the RIM servers...

if you turn your tower signal off the DEVICE (8320, 8120) will work the same ... i.e make calls , push email (BIS)

and whats the point of gps? how many times a day u need directions? are people that lost?

UMA is used international... turn of the tower go to an hotel with wi-fi and use your phone... and NOT PAY $$$ TO MAKE CALLS... Any calls/data made over UMA are counted as they normally would in the states. You will not get any international roaming charges, etc. As for why the calls aren't showing up, not sure. But you don't have to worry about getting any international usage bills. UMA will give you voice and data as if you are on the Tmo USA network, no matter where you are.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast