Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by bartokbatt ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~nikosia. I agree that if you want the latest ... BlackBerry Bold forum

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

Re: 9000 any peeks yet?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~nikosia. I agree that if you want the latest Blackberries switch to a GSM carrier. In my area however the question is more like if you want a phone that connects without issue then get Verizon and drool over everyone else's cool new Blackberries that can't get a signal.
    You don't have to live in a cave anymore bart. Other carriers have caught up to Verizon's network. Take a look at consumer reports. T-mobile has caught verizon on pretty much each market that they compete against each other.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote:Originally Posted by nikosiaAny thoughts or advice from you BB vets?If you're antsy for the latest Blackberries, switch to a GSM carrier.

I agree with this suggestion. It's unfortunate that there are only two choices of carriers (Cingular & T-Mobile) but at least these two do a pretty good job & unlike Verizon, they do not disable some of the best features of the phone.

No matter where you live, one of them will have good coverage in yor area.

By clinging to old technology companies like VZ & Sprints days are numbered.

~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

ToY9CiTo no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I guess it all depends on where u live because I have had tmobile for 4 years now and I have no signal issues except when I had thae piece of »{>±Ł sidekick.which would act like a nextel going from 0 0 bars to 4 bars w/out even moving the fone.I love tmobile and if I wouldn't move to anywhere tmobile doesn't have a good signal.

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Idont think we'll see a 9XXX series device for 18+ months. The 8100 and 8800 are RIM's "next generation" devices and the 71XX, 72XX, and 87XX devices aren't even really outdated yet. If you look at the time between release of the 72XX series and its replacement the 87XX series there was a little over a year between the two. Given what RIM is sinking into the 8100 and 8800 I wouldn't hold out for a 9XXX device.

Quote Originally Posted by ToY9CiTo
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I guess it all depends on where u live .
    This is precisely my point. One should choose a carrier based on the best coverage in their area first. If T-Mobile had the same strong signal as Cingular does in my area I would switch to T-Mobile.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jlesh
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Idont think we'll see a 9XXX series device for 18+ months. The 8100 and 8800 are RIM's "next generation" devices and the 71XX, 72XX, and 87XX devices aren't even really outdated yet. If you look at the time between release of the 72XX series and its replacement the 87XX series there was a little over a year between the two. Given what RIM is sinking into the 8100 and 8800 I wouldn't hold out for a 9XXX device.
    Frankly I'm not sure what to think regarding the life cycles that RIM has in mind for it's devices. It seems as though there has been a change in their planning and actions.

Take the 71xx & 72xx series, as you have pointed out. In the case of the 7200 series it has been out quite awhile and filled an important space for them. However, much to the contrary, the 7130c is barely more than six months old and is already being discontinued. One of the most reliable and well designed models in the lineup, they are killing it off so soon.

This is something that I do not understand. As when it was current just a month ago, RIM had three very different sizes and form factors to offer the customer base. The large full qwerty 8700, the medium sized SureType 7130 and the diminutive 8100 Pearl. Why kill off a very viable mid size model?

If anyone in this forum has an answer to this I would be all ears.

Cheers...

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I think I'm hold out for the 9000 series due to the fact the 8800 is just a qwerty pearl nothing more I have had to mobile and there coverage is the worst I have ever had of any carrier no signal drop calls it didn't stop people hate on CDMA but they have the best intenet speeds and network coverage.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    it didn't stop people hate on CDMA but they have the best intenet speeds and network coverage inside the United States.
    T, FTFY. Emphasis mine.

Plus this is highly anecdotal. At least where I live and travel (within the U.S., mind you) iDEN seems to beat CDMA in network coverage. But both are fairly useless outside North America.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    Frankly I'm not sure what to think regarding the life cycles that RIM has in mind for it's devices. It seems as though there has been a change in their planning and actions.
    For the better it would seem based on customer feedback.

Here's the deal from my point of view base don my users' feedback. The complaint with the BlackBerry has usually been about the devices themselves, rarely the network. Users love the push features of BES (and cheapstakes and personal users like BIS, for the most part), but hate that the devices are so limited:

I.e., no local storage for attachments, no copies of pocket MS Office, no removable storage, no free wifi, phone quality is poor/cumbersome, internet browser is limited, faster network/CPU needed, more memory wanted, device too big, keyboard too small, screen resolution insufficient, no VPN access to corp intranet without MDS/BES hooks (programming$$$$$),
    So releasing devices more often is great, since who wants to buy old tech? We wanted the latest devices. Ideally those devices would have the latest tech (3G, unmetered WiFi for data, metered WiFi for UMA, etc) but I suppose that's not always possible. OK, fine.

Take the 71xx & 72xx series, as you have pointed out. In the case of the 7200 series it has been out quite awhile and filled an important space for them.
    Great, but the world moves on. This was nice from a corporate point of view, but compare the 7230 with the 7290. The latter added 850Mhz in addition to 190Mhz for the United States and I believe twice the memory (16MB vs. 32MB). Also two levels of backlighting vs. one level. Similar for the iDEN 7510 and 7520. The latter offered twice the memory, a slightly different (better?) keyboard, and two levels of back light vs. one.

What irked me was that the holster of the 7510 and 7520 was different since the 7520 was narrower. But people want wa smaller device, even if it is QWERTY.

I'm sure the 7520 and 7290 created a small jeolousy within companies that had already deployed 7510s or 7230s.

Next point.

However, much to the contrary, the 7130c is barely more than six months old and is already being discontinued. One of the most reliable and well designed models in the lineup, they are killing it off so soon.
    A better device is available for most uses. The 8100 Pearl. Some people actually preferred the harder blue case material of the 7510 or 7230 versus its replacements, too. Some people actually preferred the old keyboard as well. Same people thought the wider device fit better in their hand or didn't like that the old hoster didn't work (regarding my comments above). Same boat, different models.

This is something that I do not understand. As when it was current just a month ago, RIM had three very different sizes and form factors to offer the customer base. The large full qwerty 8700, the medium sized SureType 7130 and the diminutive 8100 Pearl. Why kill off a very viable mid size model?
    Every person I have that wants the 7130 (two), is replacing it for the pearl. I guess RIM and the carriers don't think there is a sizable enough market for that device.

It's my guess that the only reason 7130 even existed in overlap condition with the Pearl (8100) was that corporations demanded the 7130 stay until the bugs of the 8100 were worked out. This would allow transition.

The odd thing about this is the 7290 is still offered. I wonder if that will finally go away once the 8800 becomes mainstream? I guess the market for old devices is more sizable or profitable (or both) in the full size QWERTY market than for suretype. That's my guess. RIM and the carriers listen to their customers. If the 7130 had stronger penetration in the corp, .mil, .gov markets - I'm specualting - I would have been kept. And likewise if the consumer market was demanding the 7130 as much as the 8100, the 7130 would have been kept. It's sort of the red-headed step child of the lineup (which isn't a fair analogy since the step child is still probably more desirable than a 7130 )

I do think this is in the customers', RIM's, and the carriers' best interests as far as the results of models that are offered.

-Aaron

Postscript: As a corp customer I can see being peaved if the 7130 was a standardized device and now a new device was being foistered. As a personal customer, I can't see how this would even remotely matter. For most people, assuming the bugs are worked out, the Pearl is a much more desirable device for the suretype market. If someone was buying new day, I can't think of to many people other than goldilocks types who might want one, but reject the 8100 as too small, and the 8700/8800 as too big. For existing customers, you already have your device. Why would you care whether the device is still sold or not? (as long as support and updates are still available, it's OK). Egos, aside. Time marches on.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by nabitheking
    The 8800 is one of the better devices I've seen out there.
    Honestly, it seems to lack a couple of things that I'd wanted to see.
    WIFI being one of them...
    I've gotten used to Pearl's suretype already and I don't see too much of an advantage over the Pearl.
    Like you guys, I will wait till 9xxx rolls out.
    The 8800 is not intended to be an upgrade to the 8100. That's why there's not much reason to "upgrade"... Remember, RIM always releases SureType and full qwerty counterparts. The 8800 is the counterpart to the Pearl. There will be versions with WiFi and cameras but that's not what Cingular is releasing next week.

Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt
    In my area however the question is more like if you want a phone that connects without issue then get Verizon and drool over everyone else's cool new Blackberries that can't get a signal.
    Sorry to hear that. Verizon's very good here but so is Cingular. TMO's getting there but even in the city there are some major holes in coverage with TMO. Personally, no matter how great Verizon's coverage is I cannot support the way they cripple their devices.

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    They don't look at them based on size. They see them in generations. -- though really the 7130c should be around as long as the 8700c. I'm guessing it has not sold as well. It was certainly released very late. With the success of the Pearl they're probalby ready to move on. The 71XX was RIM's foray into the consumer market and currently consumers expect cameras, slim devices and all that nonsense. You can blame the general public for the demise of the 7130.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    Can anyone say crackberry? When the 9xxx approaches it's roll out, we will be looking for the next model.
    Exactly. There's always a new model around the corner....

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    it didn't stop people hate on CDMA but they have the best intenet speeds and network coverage.
    There are many more factors than the underlying network technology that affect coverage. In any given spot anywhere in the country you can find a carrier that does well and a carrier that does poorly and it will have little to do with whether they're CDMA, GSM, iDen or whatever. The technology they use is merely one aspect of how good coverage is in that spot. GSM coverage is excellent in Europe which is evidence to the contrary of your CDMA fanboy comment. No carrier has perfect coverage everywhere. That's why we always recommend selecting a carrier based on coverage where you need it. How does it help you if someone across the country has excellent coverage in his/her city?
    Last edited by takeshi; 02-15-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    They don't look at them based on size. They see them in generations. -- though really the 7130c should be around as long as the 8700c. I'm guessing it has not sold as well. It was certainly released very late. With the success of the Pearl they're probalby ready to move on. The 71XX was RIM's foray into the consumer market and currently consumers expect cameras, slim devices and all that nonsense. You can blame the general public for the demise of the 7130.
    Thanks for your perspective on this. As a relatively new BB user, with a burning desire to ramp up my knowledge as fast as possible, the more I learn the better. Everything you said, makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Again !

desjones571 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2456447E

I'm all for new devices. We all are. One thing I can sy for RIM is that they are trying to compete in a consumer based market. You must admit that as much as we love our devices we have all been tempted to try other devices because of new technologies inside them. RIM in the news say that they don't fear other companies and that's very cocky. The reality of the matter is that one day there just might be a device that is going to knock the socks off of RIM because other phones are getting better. They have made a great stride in making them smaller. Its not enough though, in order to take RIM to the next level they must give the people what they want. They don't make money if we don't buy new devices. Upgrades are not enough either. They do fear other companies. Hence products coming out much faster. They are not idiots, they are billionaires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12