Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As I sit patiently waiting for UPS to deliver my Bold, I think of a ... BlackBerry Bold forum

8800bruin no está en línea Stack level 3

Question 3G vs. WiFi

Advertisement

As I sit patiently waiting for UPS to deliver my Bold, I think of a chat I had with a buddy this weekend that just got the iPhone 3G.

He told me he keeps 3G turned off because he has no 3G service at his place. So he connects via WiFi. Then I asked him, if the WiFi is enabled, why disable 3G, he says that phone is ALWAYS looking for 3G and it kills the battery.

My question for everyone here is, does the Bold work in the same manner? If WiFi is on and connected, will the Bold search for 3G (if there is none) and drain the battery?

Thanks!

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    With wifi turned on the Bold still looks for a 3G signal as they are considered different connection types. I haven't had any real issues with my battery life since upgrading to .162. While I'm at work I have no 3G signal and very little Edge connection as well...yet I come home with more then 50% battery life, so I'm fine.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    I spent 4 days last week in an EDGE only area and my battery life actually improved over where I live in a 3G area... I cannot integrate the WiFi finding, because I generally leave that off unless I need it.

I say that battery life improved because my usage of the device during those 4 EDGE days was actually higher than when I am at work on 3G... I didnt have any other internet access, so i lived with my face glued to the bold for those days last week. 3g normally drains in 2 days for me, and EDGE went well into the third day.

so, more use with EDGE lasted longer than less use with 3G.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I'm also wrestling with possibly leaving 3G disabled. I don't notice a HUGE difference between them, and even Edge seems faster then the CDMA network I used to operate on. Funny enough, most of my web browsing happens at home, and then I'm on wifi, so it doesn't matter.

I think I'm gonna set my Bold to 2G only for thr next few days and see if I rerally notice a huge difference in battery life or network speed before I make my final decision.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    I wish I had a 2G only mode...

I was just told by RIM that the out of the box 167 for AT&T should have the option. I don't remember having it before I upgraded to the 185 OS. I just posted to someone in another thread who said he was running 167, asking if he has that option. I have to go get a skin for my phone so when I go to AT&T later today, I'll check out their display model to see if it has that option.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    I'm running 167 and haven't seen that option on my BOLD.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I find that battery life is much improved if I set the phone to 2G while I'm "on the go" and 3G when I'm in an area with decent 3G signal strength and will be for a decent amount of time. For some reason I get very poor 3G reception on the side of the city where I work so while I'm on the bus going to and from work, and while at work the phone is set to 2G.

Obviously the less you're moving around the less the phone is going to have to work to keep a decent signal strength, no sense having the phone constantly switching back and forth unneccesarily.

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 8800bruin View Post
    I was just told by RIM that the out of the box 167 for AT&T should have the option. I don't remember having it before I upgraded to the 185 OS. I just posted to someone in another thread who said he was running 167, asking if he has that option. I have to go get a skin for my phone so when I go to AT&T later today, I'll check out their display model to see if it has that option.
    Are you saying upgrading the OS to .185 gave you the option for 2G only on an AT&T bold?

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    That's kinda what it sounds like. Even though I have the "2G only" option on my Rogers Bold, I can still sympathize with those of you that're without the same flexibility.

abad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D26FDC
    Quote Originally Posted by calm_tiger View Post
    I'm running 167 and haven't seen that option on my BOLD.
    There is no option for .167 to turn off 3G...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    The myth is it takes more out of the battery while "looking" for a 3G signal. That is incorrect. Run time differences, involve a lot of variables. Far too many for any individual to do an accurate evaluation without any instrumentation, or test equipment. Just like no two users get the same battery life out of an EDGE BlackBerry. The biggest draw on the battery is the brightness level one has set the display to. Since the bold has a super bright display, one can turn it down, or better yet, set it to auto dim, and get the best possible battery life. With my Bolds I found that battery life running on 3G (which is all the time in my area) I got every bit as good of battery life as I did on my EDGE Curve. There is simply no distinct advantage of having control over 2G or 3G, other than most people like to be "in control". The fact of the matter is that an automatic system as implemented on the AT&T Bold is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
    Are you saying upgrading the OS to .185 gave you the option for 2G only on an AT&T bold?
    No, unfortunately I did not get it. It apparently is a setting in the hardware of any AT&T bold that you can't do that. Rogers never placed this restriction on their devices/

supafli20 no está en línea Stack level 2
    There is actually no option currently on the att bold to disable 3G only.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    The myth is it takes more out of the battery while "looking" for a 3G signal. That is incorrect. Run time differences, involve a lot of variables. Far too many for any individual to do an accurate evaluation without any instrumentation, or test equipment. Just like no two users get the same battery life out of an EDGE BlackBerry. The biggest draw on the battery is the brightness level one has set the display to. Since the bold has a super bright display, one can turn it down, or better yet, set it to auto dim, and get the best possible battery life. With my Bolds I found that battery life running on 3G (which is all the time in my area) I got every bit as good of battery life as I did on my EDGE Curve. There is simply no distinct advantage of having control over 2G or 3G, other than most people like to be "in control". The fact of the matter is that an automatic system as implemented on the AT&T Bold is just fine.
    I can actually vouch for this in a way, I left it on auto (3G/2G) yesterday and didn't notice much difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast