What exactly are the main difference between 3G and WiFi. I understand what each of ... BlackBerry Bold forum

SoarinEagles no está en línea Stack level 2

3G vs Wi-Fi

Advertisement

What exactly are the main difference between 3G and WiFi. I understand what each of them are but what performance differences are there?
    If I browse using 3G or Wifi .... I dont see much of a difference. Wifi is a bit faster but are there other advantages?

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Wifi is faster especially if you get to Wireless N technology. The main difference is, at least for now, 3G is cellular network thus going to be wide spread, unlike Wifi which you need to be in the range of an access point to use. Although Wifi is faster it won't readily be as available as 3G is.

As the future unravels however there are efforts to make Wifi available on a much larger scale, cities at a time.

Subarudude no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    who noze
    Well think of it in this way....

3G as we all know is basically just the transformation of cellular connectivity, in laments terms, it is the 3rd generation of cellular technology...

WiFi is specifically and CAN ONLY be used when in a WiFi area. So basically there are Millions of chances for error, like there being a mistake in the system, or a bug in the software (of the router) and that internet will then be cut off from any WiFi devices shortly....

On the other hand, with 3G, you will have the capability of using your phone in starbucks, with your friend that has an iPhone.....BUT...once you leave starbucks and begin to walk the streets of New York (for example) the person (me/you in this example) with the Blackberry, using 3G will have service from our provider, which will work outside the walls of a WiFi router....

Basically, the iPhone is useless unless you are in a WiFi area......makes me happy to own a BB with Verizon
    Running the .132 OS with v3.5 Hybrid installed, working pretty nice!

salscott no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm no Iphone expert

I don't get the Starbucks analogy of the Iphone and BB.....in this case both would be WiFi and 3G capable. Both would be able to be wifi in the Starbucks and both would be on 3G network walking around in NYC.
    What am I missing?

PIN/ID
    who noze
    What I was trying to get across, is that with Verizon, you HAVE to have a data plan if planning to use a BB.

With the Apple iPhone under AT&T, you are not required to have a data plan if you wish, you can simply rely on WiFi, if you feel you do not need the data plan.

Which is why I used the Starbucks analogy, sorry for not adding the specifications earlier

Has that lifted the fog around the situation.......

also, from my knowledge of verizon....no BB has the capability (under verizons plan) to use WiFi....unless you have AT&T, or T-Mobile as a provider, and etc
    Last edited by Subarudude; 01-31-2009 at 02:38 PM.

salscott no está en línea Stack level 2

That makes sense

I can't believe the Storm insn't wifi......how do you like the browser and the camera on the Storm?

PIN/ID
    who noze
    the camera is AmAzInG, I really like it, ever since the beta upgrade I mean,

an as for the browser, I'm not going to lie, if it wasn't for the great data service verizon offers (meaning, I haven't had a dead zone with service or data service yet) I probably would have gotten a WiFi compatible phone

but the browser, is very quick, considering it loads a lot more data than my 8830 did in the past hahaha

SoarinEagles no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks folks.
    Glad I asked.