Whats the difference? Seems i get both on my phone from time to time.. Was ... BlackBerry Bold forum

yourock2425 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    *&^%$#

3G vs Edge

Advertisement

Whats the difference? Seems i get both on my phone from time to time.. Was just curious.
    *LiViN tHe DrEaM* - with my new Bold !!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Network speed. 3g is a newer technology and is faster.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

jayroc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D388CE
    EDGE is about 300kb to 700kb speed.
    3G is about 700kb and up i heard as high as 1200kb.

PIN/ID
    23D388CE
    EDGE usually tops out at 400kb though.

PIN/ID
    23D388CE
    you will switch from one to the other if your cell is capable of 3G but you move to a tower that has yet to be upgraded to 3G speed. there is still alot of EDGE and even GPRS towers. especially on T-Mobile. if it were not for their cheap prices T-Mobile could go suck a lamb.

marcan1984 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244D5F94
    What exactly is the GPRS because if I see it on my phone there is no service? And you r right about TMO, lol

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away"
    Quote Originally Posted by jayroc View Post
    you will switch from one to the other if your cell is capable of 3G but you move to a tower that has yet to be upgraded to 3G speed. there is still alot of EDGE and even GPRS towers. especially on T-Mobile. if it were not for their cheap prices T-Mobile could go suck a lamb.

PIN/ID
    23D388CE
    GPRS is the original DATA connection per say it is 56k modem speeds like your computer has stock. like we all used before broadband\DSL speads.

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    There was life before DSL/Broadband?

applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    There was life before DSL/Broadband?

Oh yeah... dialup and BBS's. The good ole' days!!!

armenvzw no está en línea Stack level 3
    I just got the bold the other day after i returned the iphone. I'm thinking about switching from Verizon but it seems like the bold is on EDGE more than 3G. We have full 3G coverage in this area so i don't see what the problem is. When im tethered to my lap top it pretty much stops loading when it goes to EDGE which is annoying so i don't know, and its the same thing on the phone browser, they may get yet another return from me and i may have to stay with my 8330 or stay on Verizon and get the storm. It keeps timing out also on some pages. I don't know why is it switching so much back and forth. I'm really not sure yet, May have to pay yet another restocking fee!!
    VZW STORM 9530

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    Quote Originally Posted by armenvzw View Post
    I just got the bold the other day after i returned the iphone. I'm thinking about switching from Verizon but it seems like the bold is on EDGE more than 3G. We have full 3G coverage in this area so i don't see what the problem is. When im tethered to my lap top it pretty much stops loading when it goes to EDGE which is annoying so i don't know, and its the same thing on the phone browser, they may get yet another return from me and i may have to stay with my 8330 or stay on Verizon and get the storm. It keeps timing out also on some pages. I don't know why is it switching so much back and forth. I'm really not sure yet, May have to pay yet another restocking fee!!
    If you used the .167 firmware right out of the box, it is known to suck at locking on to 3G. Many posts have indicated this problem goes away with ver .210.