Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hey people, this is just me asking for some advice and personal usage experience.. i ... BlackBerry Bold forum

azn_skillet no está en línea Stack level 3

3g v.s no 3g

Advertisement

hey people, this is just me asking for some advice and personal usage experience..

i just got the bold about 2 weeks ago, i love the thing and i just had the 8320 just prior so its a nice change..

i was just offered a 8900 by my friend and im debating if i should switch over to the 8900..

im lookin at the phone and all in all it looks like a midget bold and lighter and higher res screen...

but basically my initial question is how important is 3g?

i just got a data plan, and i dunno if 3g is needed that much and how much faster it really is.

so can i get some feedback of how ur bolds are working out for u and if 3g is that important.

thanks

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    I'm on Tmobile, so the Bold's 3G is not compatible with the network. I gave up the Bold for the 8900 and I won't be looking back.

However, I did get to play with 3G for a while and I must say.. if the Bold's 3G worked for me, I would have stuck with it.

hmmm yeah man i read u switched to the 8900 lol like what is 3g good for ? downloadin? or loading webpages?

Sure, those things are great but..

Being able to browse and get emails and data DURING a phone call. That's why I wish I had 3G.. But for now, working Wi-fi is the next best thing.
    -Tim

cool cool im on the rogers network so it does support 3g..

should i just keep it u think?

It's really a sidegrade. Both devices have their pros and cons, but if I had a choice, I think I would keep the 3G.
    -Tim

lol thanks xp seems like ur the only one that gives out suggestions around here

ericcif no está en línea Stack level 2
    I know I will not give up 3g. I love my bold and can't see an advantage to going 8900.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcif View Post
    I know I will not give up 3g. I love my bold and can't see an advantage to going 8900.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Same here......I agree 1000%.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/37788

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    3g is used for data. and compared to EDGE....well there's no comparison. if you use a lot of data, bbm, internet, whatever, stick with 3g.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    IMO, op, general user opinion overstate the need for 3G on a blackberry. It's strongest benefits are the ability to talk while receiving data still (though not all providers allow this) and for its tethering ability. I have had far and few situations where I truly needed it. When I'm at home I am on wifi and when I am in the car (it would benefit for say gps when downloading/updating maps) I use a dedicated gps unit. Regular internet surfing, if you customize your settings (such as turning off java) and choose correct emulator, you get a much better browsing experience and cut the time difference quite a bit from an un-customized browser profile. A lot of the load time is due to processor power/OS. If you ever tethered your bb (on EDGE) to a laptop, you'll notice that full webpages load far faster via your laptop than through your phone's browser directly (feel free to take the test). 3G also still tends to get far inferior battery life for various reasons (3g chip used, lost/searching for signal, phone resources used, etc).

While it can definitely be a plus, especially for heavy OTA downloads/uploads (large email attachments, youtube, etc.) I just don't feel it's the Alpha and Zeta it some times is portrayed to be, at least not in my day-to-day. I'd suggest giving being 3gless a try. You may be surprised how well you still function.

oh P.S. I'm very happy with my 8900 and prefer it to the Bold. It has been great right out of the box, but want to stay on topic.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    3g is VERY important! You wont always have wifi available to you.& 3g is the next best thing! Its slightly slower than wifi but much faster than edge.Streaming audio & video is no prob. DLs only takes seconds! Internet radio is very important to me while riding in my car and I don't think its possible on edge(though I could be wrong on that one), but works flawlessly on 3g. I just don't see how you could live without it! Reception is better also! No dropped calls for me. Of course Maps also pan faster.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by azn_skillet View Post
    hey people, this is just me asking for some advice and personal usage experience..

i just got the bold about 2 weeks ago, i love the thing and i just had the 8320 just prior so its a nice change..

i was just offered a 8900 by my friend and im debating if i should switch over to the 8900..

im lookin at the phone and all in all it looks like a midget bold and lighter and higher res screen...

but basically my initial question is how important is 3g?

i just got a data plan, and i dunno if 3g is needed that much and how much faster it really is.

so can i get some feedback of how ur bolds are working out for u and if 3g is that important.

thanks
    Let's just recognize the BOLD for what it is: the total package. It's just a better option to have 3G than no 3G however you plan on using it

ericcif no está en línea Stack level 2
    To clarify, I said I don't see an advantage to getting a 8900. I was refering to the original post wheresomeone already has a Bold. I am not saying the 8900 is not a great deviceif looking to upgrade from a older one.via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by calm_tiger View Post
    Let's just recognize the BOLD for what it is: the total package. It's just a better option to have 3G than no 3G however you plan on using it
    I completly agree, the bold is the best RIM has to offer period. If your network supports 3G why not have a device that can take advantage of it. There's nothing I would give my Bold up for until RIM comes out with something to top it. Right now that's nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast