Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello all, I just got my 9700 yesterday and downloaded opera mini 5 beat, Now ... BlackBerry Bold forum

boosted03 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23e2f95

3G speeds not as fast as 2G/Edge

Advertisement

Hello all,

I just got my 9700 yesterday and downloaded opera mini 5 beat, Now on my 8900 it was pretty quicks, so naturally i expected the 9700 to really fly, but the speed seems a lil slower than my 8900 on edge. Im in South FL and have a decent 3g coverage here, but the speed is not anything to brag about. Any one else feel that 3g is just a name and not any actual improvement over 2g / edge

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    3G is not quite what it is cracked up to be. It can be faster than 2G but is still slow to me. I find little difference between the two.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Here (remember guys I'm in Portugal) 3G is great in urban build up areas - in the country it slows down quite a bit !
    But...
    I notice on the 9700 it is slower than on the my Bold 1 .
    Same area, same signal ! It's something to query, really ! Is it the carrier ? Is it the OS ? What?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I can't offer much help about your area but can say in my area (central US) 3G and Edge are like Broad Band vs Dial Up. Edge is a trickle speed while 3G is very close to WiFi.

3G brings the phone alive and WiFi makes it run like a raped Ape.

I dont think it's the phone but rather your carrier.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Some fine tunin' needed!

PIN/ID
    Apple
    ^^ I second that.

djn151 no está en línea Stack level 1
    My wifes att 8900 loads pages on edge just as fast as my att bold on 3g. The biggest dif is her battery life is much better. 3g is bull!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I'm so glad to leave in the city. My 9700's been showing 3G eversince I got it till now...No issues whatsoever. Never had 3G and I'm so loving this thing
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    For the few of you who aren't experiencing fast data speeds, I don't know what to tell ya, 3G here in California blankets my city and is blazing!!! Tethering speeds are phenomenal!!!
    Nokia N900 32GB [Unlocked]
    ----------------------------------------
    Version: [PR 1.3] 20.2010.36-2

Flash Memory: A-Data 16GB SDHC CL6-Turbo
    Overclocked @1Ghz

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Fine tuning, I tell ya...

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Fine tuning, with the carrier, I tell ya... I did it with Vodafone.

boosted03 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23e2f95
    Ok well the only fine tuning i can do is throw this thing at the wall, but seriously....
    Im in South Florida and on T-mobile which shows 3g all over the areas im in. This is my 2nd 9700 as the first one reset itself 3 times out of the box. I got a new sim card. Could it be the beta version of opera mini 5 ? I will download 4.2 and see what happens. With my 8900 and opera 5 the web would be pretty damn quick and i expected the 9700 to be even quicker, but it seems to lag before actually loading the web pages. Also forget about the BB browser, that thing will be slow even with lightening striking rim's butt. So how does this fine tuning work and can T-mobile USA do it ?

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted03 View Post
    Ok well the only fine tuning i can do is throw this thing at the wall, but seriously....
    Im in South Florida and on T-mobile which shows 3g all over the areas im in. This is my 2nd 9700 as the first one reset itself 3 times out of the box. I got a new sim card. Could it be the beta version of opera mini 5 ? I will download 4.2 and see what happens. With my 8900 and opera 5 the web would be pretty damn quick and i expected the 9700 to be even quicker, but it seems to lag before actually loading the web pages. Also forget about the BB browser, that thing will be slow even with lightening striking rim's butt. So how does this fine tuning work and can T-mobile USA do it ?

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues. I'm currently using opera mini (yes bb browser makes netscape on a windows 95 like the latest version of safari "it just blows chunks") 4.2 on my new 9700 and new issues there. Pages load a whole lot faster than on my previous 8900. Don't blame the phone, blame the network... Remember 3G's kinda new to Tmo in the States...Hope this helps.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Let me clear this... What Vodafone did was: changed SIM card with preloaded (I suppose) settings for the 9700. The difference was fantastic.

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I have 3G everywhere since I took the phone out the box. But I do notice that its really not that fast. The 1 thing that I do notice, and its mainly the reason I don't mind the "3G" speed, is playing videos from youtube. I use to get "loading" and "buffering" more than I would get to see the video, but now on 3G....it runs straight thru. Love that. I got the latest bolt browser n latest opera mini...haven't tried either on 3G yet....(Don't really like them...too buggy) but I'll see wuzzup. So far, 3G is ehhhhh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast