Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to switch from 3G/2G mode to ... BlackBerry Bold forum

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question 3G-only mode possible?

Advertisement

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to switch from 3G/2G mode to just 3G (forcing 3G)? I find I bounce back & fourth between 2G & 3G a lot even though there certainly is 3G coverage where I live. I would be willing to do some hacking or flashing another operator's firmware to get this ability.

hybrid1976 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    280C1909
    i would also love to know the answer to this. My 9700 will arrive tomorrow.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    no, not at the moment. the choices are 3g/2g or 2g.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    You will always need the option of falling back on 2G when reception is not really good. 3G take excellent reception so EDGE/2G is better than dropping a call is it not!

AT&T is also talking about software that will push you off the 3G network when you do not need it. LOL as it seem that AT&T has been doing this often but then I seldom if at all ever get a dropped call.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Wow. What about the people who mostly use their device for data? Heck isn't that why the 9700 is 3G in the first place?!

simeezee no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215C1928
    I have a similar question. I live in LA with is covered by tmobile 3G network. But a lot of times it shows EDGE at the top right corner. I wonder why.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    3g/2g is good in my opinion- that way when you have no 3g service you go on to edge and will still have use of your phone...
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Quote Originally Posted by simeezee View Post
    I have a similar question. I live in LA with is covered by tmobile 3G network. But a lot of times it shows EDGE at the top right corner. I wonder why.
    The 3G map isn't always accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja View Post
    The 3G map isn't always accurate.
    Isn't the 3G network supposed to completely mirror the 2G one (and may even have more coverage due to more towers going up where needed)?

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    I wish AT&T would fix this... where I work which is approx 3 miles from my house I have 3G service... when I go to my house I only have EDGE... Makes me think twice about those Verizon commercials... LOL

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    AT&T uses 3G as the default speed.

The only time that you get reduced to EDGE is when you are in a low coverage area.

Those areas are being upgraded to 3G. The limitation is NOT AT&T but the city, or county regulations that PREVENT AT&T from adding new cell phone towers.

As a result users that have no knowledge of the wireless industry, and those who like to be critical of AT&T spread rumors that they are going to "Push you off 3G" this is NOT true.

It makes no difference to AT&T from a cost standpoint therefore they have every reason to KEEP YOU ON 3G so that you speak highly of their service.

I do not work for AT&T, however I am heavily involved in cellular technology.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...Not only that Mobile99M. Vodafone (in Europe) informed me that 3g "clears" their servers quicker(data exchanges) and so besides providing a better service, their servers do not overload as what happens for instance with sms on Xmas or New Years, or any other major event !
    Also, downtown tall buildings interfere, (and inside these concrete and otherwise well insulated buildings) the 3g signal does nor penetrate or pass through. It's in these areas that GPRS or EDGE take over.when this happens, and if you are inside one of these buildings, approach the windows and the signal will change.
    With the advent of the propagated 4g these technical problems will be something of the past...but it's still a long way off.
    This info is what I get from so-called cellular techies.
    I stand corrected.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Delfim; 12-02-2009 at 06:55 PM.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
    Wow. What about the people who mostly use their device for data? Heck isn't that why the 9700 is 3G in the first place?!
    It is but the world is not perfect nor is your carrier's 3G service. 3G demand an excellent signal and you will find your self on 2G alot.It is no biggie as the speed difference between the two is alot less than what most think.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by impak875 View Post
    I wish AT&T would fix this... where I work which is approx 3 miles from my house I have 3G service... when I go to my house I only have EDGE.
    I would not put the blame on any carrier. All carriers (believe me I've tried them all...ha..ha..) have small radius weak areas within larger areas with strong signals. It's the nature of how cellular works. So while you may not have 3G in your house, a mile or so away, there is someone with (name any carrier) that has the same problem. This is why it's so important to always choose the carrier that works best in your area first, then choose the phone. If you are on the very edge of the hand-off space for any carrier, the signal will be too low to use.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    The only way u can lock the device to use 3G only is having one that has vendor ID 1 or 172 meaning that those are Engineering units (devices used by RIM developers and carriers testers), but it will be useless if you are in an area where the signal drops to 2G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast