Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't know, if you replace the VSM with one that identifies the device as ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    Apple

Advertisement

I don't know, if you replace the VSM with one that identifies the device as RIM it "should" be able to pick up the frequency of either 3G network. Should being the keyword, no obviously this is something that the average user is not going to do since its way more complicated than just unlocking a device. Don't know, but I would think that it should as RIM devices shouldn't have any restrictions.

AviatorJud no está en línea Stack level 2
    It's really unfortunate when a company limits the capabilities of a device for no good reason. If the radio is capable of using all bands then it shouldn't be neutered to favor one company over another. Before 3G, as long as you unlocked a phone you could use its full capabilities on any carrier. Now we're essentially stuck with whichever carrier you buy the phone from. So unnecessary.

Been doin some reading. Unbranding would seem to be the solution here.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorJud View Post
    Been doin some reading. Unbranding would seem to be the solution here.
    Just a small correction the term umbranding is in fact false, to do so you need to put a -1 vendor ID which will cause the phone be laggy while it can be done is a custom and self made vsm, but u still are branding the phone to diff Vendor ID the correct term has to be REBRAND since u are changing the vendor ID and think it might work since both ATT and Tmo hardware is the same, there is no differences both devices have the same specs, prolly is something firmware related, even tho I still think is possible, the million dollars question got to be HOW?

Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Just a small correction the term umbranding is in fact false, to do so you need to put a -1 vendor ID which will cause the phone be laggy while it can be done is a custom and self made vsm, but u still are branding the phone to diff Vendor ID the correct term has to be REBRAND since u are changing the vendor ID and think it might work since both ATT and Tmo hardware is the same, there is no differences both devices have the same specs, prolly is something firmware related, even tho I still think is possible, the million dollars question got to be HOW?
    There's a few threads on here that explain a lot. And you can google the actual procedure. I haven't heard anything about the phone getting laggy. And you can indeed remove all branding(unbranding) and it supposedly works just fine, tho it will obviously void the warranty. The benefit, besides being able to use it on any network, is that certain new options may become available and the engineering screen is activated by default. Again, read the discussions.

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    It's really unfortunate when a company limits the capabilities of a device for no good reason. If the radio is capable of using all bands then it shouldn't be neutered to favor one company over another. Before 3G, as long as you unlocked a phone you could use its full capabilities on any carrier. Now we're essentially stuck with whichever carrier you buy the phone from. So unnecessary.
    Yeah, that really sucks for us in the States... Europe gets free phones, faster networks and easier to unlock phones.
    Nokia N900 32GB [Unlocked]
    ----------------------------------------
    Version: [PR 1.3] 20.2010.36-2

Flash Memory: A-Data 16GB SDHC CL6-Turbo
    Overclocked @1Ghz

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I'm really not understanding how this can be done even if the vendor ID is changed unless the device has a 1700MHz radio and it doesn't.
    Nokia N900 32GB [Unlocked]
    ----------------------------------------
    Version: [PR 1.3] 20.2010.36-2

Flash Memory: A-Data 16GB SDHC CL6-Turbo
    Overclocked @1Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by drew4flt72 View Post
    I'm really not understanding how this can be done even if the vendor ID is changed unless the device has a 1700MHz radio and it doesn't.
    Except that it does. I think it's been agreed on that there is only 1 hardware version of the 9700 and therefore it is capable of working on all the 3G bands. That is the whole point- that it's stupid that they lock it into one or the other with the vendor ID

PIN/ID
    ask me
    There's a few threads on here that explain a lot. And you can google the actual procedure. I haven't heard anything about the phone getting laggy. And you can indeed remove all branding(unbranding) and it supposedly works just fine, tho it will obviously void the warranty. The benefit, besides being able to use it on any network, is that certain new options may become available and the engineering screen is activated by default. Again, read the discussions.
    want to clarify something for you, when i say it will be lagging i am referring to brand the phone to vendor ID -1, when i say you are not unbranding is because what you are doing is BRAND the device to RIM (vendor ID 1, or (179), you are not removing all branding, you are just removing all carriers branding and leaving just RIM BRANDING info, if you RE BRAND to vendor id 1 you are unlocking the Engineering Screens if you RE BRAND to vendor id 179 you are just removing carrier branding but not unlocking the E screens.

When i say the question is how is because the available software doesnt support newer devices, the newer one i was able to successfully done was the 8900, anything after that.

Now back to the topic i think that the device is capable to run on both 3g bands but due to certain firmware limitations i think it doesnt work, so there has to be a way to do it, but unless we can find it, we are stuck on the current limitations...
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

want to clarify something for you, when i say it will be lagging i am referring to brand the phone to vendor ID -1, when i say you are not unbranding is because what you are doing is BRAND the device to RIM (vendor ID 1, or (179), you are not removing all branding, you are just removing all carriers branding and leaving just RIM BRANDING info, if you RE BRAND to vendor id 1 you are unlocking the Engineering Screens if you RE BRAND to vendor id 179 you are just removing carrier branding but not unlocking the E screens.

When i say the question is how is because the available software doesnt support newer devices, the newer one i was able to successfully done was the 8900, anything after that.

Now back to the topic i think that the device is capable to run on both 3g bands but due to certain firmware limitations i think it doesnt work, so there has to be a way to do it, but unless we can find it, we are stuck on the current limitations...
    Well it may not currently be possible to rebrand the 9700 but it's only a matter of time.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    AT&T and TMo 3G are not the same and will NOT work.

To answer the original post. No it will not work, unlocking or otherwise will not make any difference.

You will have to use Edge and WiFi.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    to remain on topic, answer given above is correct. thank you for providing a sound answer as opposed to most of the speculation posted. I addressed a similar question as to if the 3G Bold, if unlocked, would or would not run 3G on T-mobile. Bold 3G Tmobile and You FAQ

Now more than ever as different carriers run different spectrums and sell different builds of the same handset models (repasted from the old thread):

"Will an unlocked Bold work on Tmobile? Will I have 3G?"

Yes, an unlocked Bold will work on Tmobile, but no the 3G will not. Tmobile's UMTS network (3G) runs on the 1700/2100mhz spectrum. Tmobile is currently the only carrier in North America that supports this. You will have GSM/EDGE reception only if you choose to unlock a Bold for a different carrier and use it on the network. The Bold supports the GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900 meaning you can have "world phone" service up to EDGE speed where supported.

****Before purchasing any device not locked to your provider in your country, always be sure of which frequencies it supports and that you can unlock it for use on your network. For a list of GSM frequencies used by the different countries you can visit here.****

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja View Post
    to remain on topic, answer given above is correct. thank you for providing a sound answer as opposed to most of the speculation posted. I addressed a similar question as to if the 3G Bold, if unlocked, would or would not run 3G on T-mobile. Bold 3G Tmobile and You FAQ

Now more than ever as different carriers run different spectrums and sell different builds of the same handset models (repasted from the old thread):

"Will an unlocked Bold work on Tmobile? Will I have 3G?"

Yes, an unlocked Bold will work on Tmobile, but no the 3G will not. Tmobile's UMTS network (3G) runs on the 1700/2100mhz spectrum. Tmobile is currently the only carrier in North America that supports this. You will have GSM/EDGE reception only if you choose to unlock a Bold for a different carrier and use it on the network. The Bold supports the GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900 meaning you can have "world phone" service up to EDGE speed where supported.

****Before purchasing any device not locked to your provider in your country, always be sure of which frequencies it supports and that you can unlock it for use on your network. For a list of GSM frequencies used by the different countries you can visit here.****

Good info. Wish I had seen this last week.

But of course as we have discussed, in the future there will be the option of rebranding the phone. I know it currently isn't possible with some of these newer phones but it should be eventually.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Wireless Networks

• 3G (HSDPA) compatible
    • UMTS: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz (Bands 1,2,5/6), 2100/1700/900 MHz (Bands 1,4,8)
    • GSM: 1900/1800/900/850 MHz
    • Quad-band support: GSM 850; GSM

according to the blackberry site looking at the specs of the phone doesnt mention a different hardware version, meaning that the same device support both bands, as i previously said there got to be a way to enable it to catch both 3g signals, even tho i dont know how....making a re search i found variable answers as to if is or not possible, so we can say is not possible for now....
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    making a re search i found variable answers as to if is or not possible, so we can say is not possible for now....
    most of the answers given were speculation and not quite clear so I made it simple and addressed overall handsets dealing with 3G from the two carriers.

Will 3G work between the two? No.

Will an unlocked phone pick up the 3G of the other carrier? No.

anything can change in the future, but this isn't a thread of future theory, just a simple 'yes or no' compatibility thread. sometimes a thread can get rather far off topic. this brought it back to the original point to help users avoid making an expensive mistake.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Very true, threads do get off topic rather quickly. Threads also evolve into discussions around the thread topic. If we were to start a thread about everything that "got off topic" we would have so many it would be a hassle to follow. All of us appreciate the fact that you have given your input and have made valid and correct points. At this time it is a "yes or no" answer. Don't try to silence the thoughts of other to "keep on topic". Is it possible right now. Will it be, only time will tell, and this seems to be the thread for that discussion and thoughts on how to and speculation about the subject.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast