Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally Posted by AviatorJud Ok so you're saying you have indeed swapped sim cards and ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorJud View Post
    Ok so you're saying you have indeed swapped sim cards and you did NOT get 3G on the other network? Was the phone unlocked?
    Sure it is unlocked, placed a an att Sim and the device stays on EDGE while with the Tmo I get 3g, tried vice versa and got same results

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    so the vendor id is what's locking the chipset from using other frequencies on the radio?

AviatorJud no está en línea Stack level 2
    Are we talking about the vendor id file, like the one we delete when upgrading the OS?

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Might be that with the vendor ID I'll have to try to verify unless I can find the software to brand to RIM, and no the one out there doesn't work.

Aviator no is not that one, to make it easy to understand we are talking about a kind of firmware modification by replacing the VSM file that identifies att or tmo network and replace it with the one that identifies RIM engineering devices

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Well my question is about running the iPhone 3Gs from ATT on TMO. I swapped the Sim card to use on TMO and it says T-Mobile 3G on the banner. I'm confused, I thought that ATT and TMO used different 3G signals and it would only be 2G if used on TMO. So, why is it saying T-Mobile 3G on the iPhone?

AviatorJud no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    Well my question is about running the iPhone 3Gs from ATT on TMO. I swapped the Sim card to use on TMO and it says T-Mobile 3G on the banner. I'm confused, I thought that ATT and TMO used different 3G signals and it would only be 2G if used on TMO. So, why is it saying T-Mobile 3G on the iPhone?
    I was wondering this as well because I heard that it worked on the iphone 3g

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Gotta have to check what is the band frequency that the iphone 3GS supports....

Probably iphone doesn't use a vendor ID in the firmware, the one I jailbroke last night is a 3G and doesn't get the TMO 3g but EDGE, btw thanks for that Debi

Now I won't sleep till I find an answer

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Did a small research and seems like the Iphone 3gs is quad band device and supports both frequencies, let me do a deep re search and I'll try to figure out

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    so do a speedtest and find out if it's really 3G

zipporic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B606F3
    Just a little of my 2 cents here. Does anyone remember when the 9000 Bold came out T-Mobile originally was going to get it and in fact over in Europe they did but it had a lot of issues. The 9000 actually supported the 1700MHz band but only for the T-Mobile version, ever heard of some one using a 9000 with TMO and getting 3G? Me either. As far as I know it's hardware dependent as to which 3G band any model of Blackberry will support.

Basically, I don't see any reason that a T-Mobile 9700 should work on AT&T's 3G band. Sorry, no amount of unlocking or OS switching in the world will help.
    Who told you, you could eat my cookies? Put that cookie down!... Now!
    Courtesy of the Govenator

Quote Originally Posted by anfrey View Post
    so do a speedtest and find out if it's really 3G
    Good idea! I will try that
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Well, when I swapped my sim card to TMO, it would only show E for edge. The last time I put the sim card in it showed T-Mobile 3g. I tried to run a speedtest on the edge to compare, but it could not detect the server. Probably because I don't have a data plan on TMO right now.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

If you use the wifi though, it smokes 3G

Connection Type: Cellular

Download: 1008 kbps
    Upload: 340 kbps

Connection Type: WiFi

Download: 6144 kbps
    Upload: 9164 kbps

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by zipporic View Post
    Just a little of my 2 cents here. Does anyone remember when the 9000 Bold came out T-Mobile originally was going to get it and in fact over in Europe they did but it had a lot of issues. The 9000 actually supported the 1700MHz band but only for the T-Mobile version, ever heard of some one using a 9000 with TMO and getting 3G? Me either. As far as I know it's hardware dependent as to which 3G band any model of Blackberry will support.

Basically, I don't see any reason that a T-Mobile 9700 should work on AT&T's 3G band. Sorry, no amount of unlocking or OS switching in the world will help.
    I agree. Yeah, it's just not happening.... T-Mo has the (AWS) spectrum (1700 MHz) exclusive throughout North America and the world. With the obvious hardware differences [1700MHz (T-Mo) and 1900MHz (AT&T) radios], it would be virtually impossible for 3G to happen on any other handset that doesn't receive at a 1700MHz frequency. An example is this... While T-Mo 3G transmits data at 2100 MHz, it receives data at 1700 MHz. AT&T's frequencies just don't match up using 1900MHz and 850MHz. My guess is the reason the 3G still showed up as T-Mobile when you popped the SIM in is because the "new" IMEI from the other SIM wasn't registered on the network yet. Probably not until after you make a phone call and then all bets are off....
    Nokia N900 32GB [Unlocked]
    ----------------------------------------
    Version: [PR 1.3] 20.2010.36-2

Flash Memory: A-Data 16GB SDHC CL6-Turbo
    Overclocked @1Ghz

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    AT&T and TMo 3G are not the same and will NOT work.

To answer the original post. No it will not work, unlocking or otherwise will not make any difference.

You will have to use Edge and WiFi.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast