After 7 months of use, my Torch finally lost its mind yesterday. At lunch, I ... BlackBerry Torch forum

dolphin08 no está en línea Stack level 2

Torch needed exorcism

Advertisement

After 7 months of use, my Torch finally lost its mind yesterday. At lunch, I went to check an email and slid open the slider and the screen went completely black. Tried everything to get it to come back, few battery pulls and even an OS reload. The phone actually worked just couldnt see or use any features on the screen. Spent 45 min on the phone with AT&T warranty dept walking through a bunch of things I had already tried so that they could say we tried. But today it was getting swapped out. However, not before a final show of lunacy: Got home last night, screen had been black for 4-5 hours, email notifications going off for emails I couldnt read, etc. Plopped it down on the counter and went to take a shower. When I came out, the phone was in the middle of playing the Blackberry 6 demo video that came preloaded on my phone - with a slight twist....the video was actually UPSIDE DOWN & BACKWARDS. I did a double-tak of course, thinking I was holding it upside down. And I'm not talking like portrait and landscape flip-flop, the screen was inverted and backwards. I had to hold it in the mirror to read my messages, lol. The navigation for the touch screen was normal, meaning that if I wanted top left I had to press bottom right, etc. Totally twisted.

It went out again finally last night and I swapped it out at ATT this morning for a refurb.
    Torch 9800

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    My Torch needed an exorcism too, so I traded it for an i4.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    DID you try a full wipe first, sometimes a reload without a full wipe will do no good
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

When you say "traded" - you mean you bought an iPhone4 and got a discount on it based on your Torch 9800 as a trade-in?. Just curious what trade-in means. Every time Ive looked at a new device and its not an 'upgrade-eligible' year, they pretty much offer me squat, much less on an i4

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin08 View Post
    After 7 months of use, my Torch finally lost its mind yesterday. At lunch, I went to check an email and slid open the slider and the screen went completely black. Tried everything to get it to come back, few battery pulls and even an OS reload. The phone actually worked just couldnt see or use any features on the screen. Spent 45 min on the phone with AT&T warranty dept walking through a bunch of things I had already tried so that they could say we tried. But today it was getting swapped out. However, not before a final show of lunacy: Got home last night, screen had been black for 4-5 hours, email notifications going off for emails I couldnt read, etc. Plopped it down on the counter and went to take a shower. When I came out, the phone was in the middle of playing the Blackberry 6 demo video that came preloaded on my phone - with a slight twist....the video was actually UPSIDE DOWN & BACKWARDS. I did a double-tak of course, thinking I was holding it upside down. And I'm not talking like portrait and landscape flip-flop, the screen was inverted and backwards. I had to hold it in the mirror to read my messages, lol. The navigation for the touch screen was normal, meaning that if I wanted top left I had to press bottom right, etc. Totally twisted.

It went out again finally last night and I swapped it out at ATT this morning for a refurb.
    Torch 9800

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    My Torch needed an exorcism too, so I traded it for an i4.
    when u say 'traded', what does that mean? $$ off an iphone4 with the Torch 9800 as tradein? Never seen that b4 (sorry quoted wrong post earlier)
    Torch 9800

PIN/ID
    nada
    No, not actually. I had an i4, thought I wanted a 9800, sold the i4 and used an upgrade to get the 9800. Didn't care for the 9800, sold it, went back to the i4.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Tut-tut, here we go... Ok Chokem. And you did well ! I did it too, but went a step further. To Android...
    As for exorcism... that´s a weird scene dolphin ( let me explain something here: in Portuguese delfim is dolphin, so we´re in the same aquarium ? Ummmmh, fishy !)
    But I had something similar happening to my first Torch. Never thought much about it since after a quickpull it seemed to have been exorcised...! And I´m glad I´m over quickpulls... (yuch !)
    Good luck with the new one !

Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    DID you try a full wipe first, sometimes a reload without a full wipe will do no good
    Yes, a full wipe was the first thing we did (with AT&T warranty support). I mean, it was painless getting a refurb, and I did the same with my Bold for a screen issue. But the refurbed Torch is super wobbly compared to my original. I'll live with it, but its probably going to only get worse. That is my single gripe with the Torch.
    Torch 9800

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Tut-tut, here we go... Ok Chokem. And you did well ! I did it too, but went a step further. To Android...
    As for exorcism... that´s a weird scene dolphin ( let me explain something here: in Portuguese delfim is dolphin, so we´re in the same aquarium ? Ummmmh, fishy !)
    But I had something similar happening to my first Torch. Never thought much about it since after a quickpull it seemed to have been exorcised...! And I´m glad I´m over quickpulls... (yuch !)
    Good luck with the new one !

Thanks fellow dolphin :-)Cheers
    Torch 9800

abcomputin no está en línea Stack level 3
    ...But the refurbed Torch is super wobbly compared to my original. I'll live with it, but its probably going to only get worse. That is my single gripe with the Torch.
    Dolphin,
    Have you ever considered a hard case for your "new" torch. With this one http://www.agfindings.com/products/b...torch-grt-case , the top cover attaches to the bottom cover and will probably eliminate all or most of your wobble.

ab - I hadnt, mainly because they appeared a bit 'clunky'. Do you use this?
    Torch 9800

abcomputin no está en línea Stack level 3
    ab - I hadnt, mainly because they appeared a bit 'clunky'. Do you use this?
    Yes I do. Started with an otterbox hard case, but didn't like it. This GRT case is a little less bulky than the otterbox. The horizontal leather belt pouch that I've been using with this hard case on it is the same one that I was using with my Bold.

vicbowling no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'd say just upgrade. Phones are cheap enough now a days - Get something that you can rely on with less of the hassle!

PIN/ID
    nada
    I had the GRT and the otter when I had mine, trust me, get the GRT. I sold my Otter the next day. It eliminates 90% of the wobble.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

thanks Chokem, I'm going to order one and check it out.
    Torch 9800