Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been using for 3 months the Torch in replace of a Curve 8320. I ... BlackBerry Torch forum

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Torch gripes

Advertisement

I've been using for 3 months the Torch in replace of a Curve 8320. I like a lot of things like speed, browser, etc, but I also have many gripes about it. I will share some to see if other people are affected by them.

1. Whenever I call a contact the phone that is preselected isn't the one that was used before and most of the times makes me call to a number I don't want to. This didn't happen with the Curve that selected the last used phone number.
    2. The same way as with phone calls, when I write a message the last used e-mail account isn't selected.
    3. When I receive a call while the phone is locked I can't login to access notes, contacts or other applications to get data for the conversation. Again, I was able to do this with the Curve and is a real nuisance.
    4. While hearing music I have a lot of cuts in the sound while it seems to me as a switch of data type (3G/EDGE) or antenna. It happens while traveling on train or bus so it has to do with something like that IMO.
    5. I always pause or stop a song to continue later but with the new music player whenever I try to resume it's closed. I know there is an option for that but even while I set it not to close the application isn't there when I return and so I have to start from the first song again.
    6. It happened to me that I was writing a mail to a contact and he/she ended getting it in a mail account I don't have it in contacts. What I call "Ghost accounts" appear to be there on the "TO" selection when you write new mails.

So, as you see... Blackberry improved a lot of things but they also regressed in a lot as well. Or is it just me?

PS: I might be forgetting another gripe but I will write it here as soon as I remember.

No replies? :P

Or nobody uses BlackBerry anymore or people don't have this issues... wondering which is.

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Personally for me the Torch was a let down....I got one the day it came out last fall....and promptly exchanged it for an iPhone 4....It is an ok phone but not for me.
    Apple iPhone 5C 16gb (Green)

Follow Me on Twitter

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I had an i4 before I thought OS6 would be magic, kept it just under 6 weeks, sold it and went back to iOS 4.2.1. It seems liked they rushed OS 6, and it had way too many bugs.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I haven't had any of the issues mentioned above on the torch, haven't seen any ghost accounts, or at least no-one who received e-mails from me have seen this. I cannot comment on listening to music as I am still old fashioned and use an IPod Claasic (it has enough memory for all of my music, none of the others can match it.
    I have been using the Torch now for about 4 months, one on BIS and one on BES. It is certainly better than any of the other BB's I have owned, will I stay with BB for my personal phone when my contract runs out, I am not sure, it is convenient, has all the apps that I want to use (I don't need to search through 1000's), it is pretty solid, and having dropped it a few times pretty reliable as it is still working. I do hanker over the IPhone but I still have issues with touch screens in that often my fingers have no effect on screen movements (not enough moisture in the skin?)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I haven't experienced any of those issues either, DonGato. Is the Torch the best BB I've owned? I do like it, but I think my favorite to date is the 9700. Guess I just like that form better. The new Bold Touch coming out soon looks pretty promising, too.

Like Dave, I've been looking at possibly switching to an iPhone with the i5 comes out, or Android even. My first love is BlackBerry, though, so we'll see what's available when my upgrades are due in May and July!

Ryo Misaki no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    237E0FA6
    I've experienced some of those problems... But they were never really much of an issue for me. (Course, I had the Curve a while back, then a Bold, and now the Torch.)

However, it seems that most of these problems are centered around the Operating System, rather than the Torch itself. (So, if you upgraded to the newest OS on the Curve, you'd have these issues.)

I'd recommend you downgrade OS, but I don't think the Torch can handle a lower OS because of the touch screen.

I wish I could offer some sort of better fixes for your trouble, but I'm not sure of any way.
    Personally, I love my Torch... I couldn't ever imagine going back to a lower Blackberry.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Good to see you back on the forums, Ryo.

To the ones that said it didn't happen to them can I ask how they do with 3 or 5 for example (others are welcome as well)?
    I wonder if I'm taking the wrong steps or I configured something the wrong way.
    Upgraded to the last firmware for Torch but nothing changed. :P

For 3 I use the time locking feature and I need to put a password to deactivate it. So when a phone call is received I should be able to unlock the phone but I can't get any option for that.

For 5 I use the file manager because I like to play by directories I made before, not by the other ways the music player provides. When I finish listening I stop the last song, go to background by clicking the red button and disconnect the headphones. The player appears as loaded in the application selector so it wasn't closed but after some time it disappears and I lose track about where I was in the playlist.

abcomputin no está en línea Stack level 3
    For number 3: I just tested mine. After getting on a call with the phone locked, I pressed the "escape key" (just right of the trackpad), it said the phone was locked and asked if I wanted to unlock it, I clicked on yes, put in the password, and it was unlocked and still on the call. Also, I'm on 6.0.0.526 if that matters.

PIN/ID
    237E0FA6
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG
    Good to see you back on the forums, Ryo.
    Thanks, Roger! It's good to be remembered! =D
    I'm sad the Blackberry Forums gets so little activity lately...

Quote Originally Posted by DonGato
    To the ones that said it didn't happen to them can I ask how they do with 3 or 5 for example (others are welcome as well)?
    I wonder if I'm taking the wrong steps or I configured something the wrong way.
    Upgraded to the last firmware for Torch but nothing changed. :P

For 3 I use the time locking feature and I need to put a password to deactivate it. So when a phone call is received I should be able to unlock the phone but I can't get any option for that.

For 5 I use the file manager because I like to play by directories I made before, not by the other ways the music player provides. When I finish listening I stop the last song, go to background by clicking the red button and disconnect the headphones. The player appears as loaded in the application selector so it wasn't closed but after some time it disappears and I lose track about where I was in the playlist.
    #3: I use a password lock too. Though, I rarely need to use the phone notes or directory when in a phone call... But occasionally I do.
    When in a phone call while the device is password locked, you can hit the Blackberry (option) key, and select "Unlock Phone". It'll prompt you for your password while still in the call, and unlock the phone.
    From there, you can use the option menu to go directly to notes or contacts, or Alt+Escape, Escape to Homescreen while still on call, or whatever your preffered method is to get to the application you need.

#5: I never have this problem... But only because of the way I use music on my phone. Yeah, there's the option to make it not automatically close. (It annoys me if the music app is left open when I'm not using it.) But as you said, it apparently restarts the song?
    I've never used File Manager to browse for a song. I keep my music, organized by folders, in the /Blackberry/music folder on my SD card. Then whenever I want a particular song or artist, I search for it. (Usually by the Universal Search. I'm lazy.) Or, if I want a particular set, I make a playlist.
    I never keep a song paused for more than a few minutes if I intend to listen to it later.
    Any longer than that is too long, and I would want to restart the song from the beginning again anyway.

I know it's not a solution, but that's just the way I do it. =/

Quote Originally Posted by abcomputin View Post
    For number 3: I just tested mine. After getting on a call with the phone locked, I pressed the "escape key" (just right of the trackpad), it said the phone was locked and asked if I wanted to unlock it, I clicked on yes, put in the password, and it was unlocked and still on the call. Also, I'm on 6.0.0.526 if that matters.
    Funny that now that I check it seems to work as you said, but I changed firmware since I last tried two times already. Nice that I have one annoyance less and I tend to use the agenda or notes in a call to give information or even write something.

Well, Ryo, seems we have different ways of listening and organizing our music. I will try to change my way and make playlists from each directory. Will report back what I see with that.
    What I meant by going back to the song I left hours ago is that I want to continue from where I left in the playlist but I don't need to continue from a paused file.

PIN/ID
    237E0FA6
    Understandably. Being able to switch to another application in mid call is one of the best features!

Yeah, to be honest, I don't use my phone all that much for music. (My battery life is shoddy enough as it is.)
    I use my iPod for anything other than listening to a few songs here and there. I also often use Apps more often than mp3s on my phone... Pandora and TuneIn Radio are my favorites.

Of course, everyone listens to music differently. I'll try tweaking with the playlists to see if I can figure how to get it to keep your place.
    (I tend to keep everything on shuffle all the time. I have bizarre music habits. =P)

I considered moving to shuffle as well but as I have quite different styles of MP3 in my BB I wouldn't want to mix them. Hearing a classical piece, then some rock and then some comedy performance wouldn't be nice. :P

About battery, I feared it wouldn't last a day but reality showed me sometimes, with conservative use, it lasts almost two. Granted, no Bluetooth, no WiFi, no media and no data intensive apps to achieve that. Just mail and an occasional short call. A heavy user can last a day unless he uses Google Maps or the likes that drain the battery in a few hours. That's quite an achievement when most new smartphones struggle to last a day (a day being 16 hours :P).

PIN/ID
    237E0FA6
    Ah yes, I understand that could be weird.
    Can't you shuffle on a specific playlist alone, though? Or within only one genre?

Wow, a day or two? That's impressive!
    Of course, I can't really go without using data intensive apps... So mine lasts about 6-8 hours, depending on what I'm doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast