Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

OK, so its been about a week or so now since I got this awesome ... BlackBerry Torch forum

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Smile The Blackberry Torch 9800-My review

Advertisement

OK, so its been about a week or so now since I got this awesome new Blackberry. I think I have have had sufficient time to write a review with the full experience of all the wicked features such as OS 6, a 5.0 Megapixel camera, RIM's first ever slider device, a much improved touch screen, with hidden full qwerty and prob one of my favorite additions the optical trackpad.

Hardware

This device has set a new standard for the way a device feels when it comes to build. The overall feel is solid, with a sturdy slider mechanism. The touch screen is so much of an improvement over its predecessor(the storm 1 and 2), there are not words to describe the improvement. I find myself using the screen more and more and I hated using the ones on the storms in the past. the trackpad is all the trackball ever wanted to be and more. Its very click-able, highly sensitive, and appears with 5 days of heavy usage to be most durable.

A brief overview of the specs includes a 624 MHz processor from Marvell, 512 GB of RAM(very nice), 4GB internal storage, quad band GSM/GPRS, UTMS, GPS, WIFI(b, g, and n bands) and of course a kicking bluetooth with more options than most know what to do with.

Click the link for the full Blackberry Torch RIM Specs

Probably one of my only disappointments with the device was that they removed one of the side access one-touch keys. The one you have, along with the volume control and the headset jack are all located on the Right side of the device, and thus they moved the micro USB port to the left(guess they figured something needed to be on that side).The only downside to the Micro-USB location is its really difficult to charge and type at the same time if needed. The one side key you have is pretty solid and from using Quick Launch with it the last few days( I made the beta for it, finally) I can tell you it function quite well even using a double-click option in QL.

One other thing I would have changed is the ease of which the mute and keyboard lock are pushed on the top of the device. I was wholly surprised when I opened this economical space-saving box from ATT, to discover no holster included with this device, a big disappointment for me on ATT's part as they have provided some sort of case with EVERY other blackberry I have owned from them. I cannot tell you how many times i have opened apps or pocket called people, I have to find myself a pouch case soon!

Keyboard
    I heard many different things about the keypad and coming from the 8900, its took a little getting used to. I have found after 5 days use there feels very little difference to me and it is as highly usable as the 8900's with the exception of being a bit concave. It reminds me much of the Bold keyboard i the feel. If you have big hands like me, it might take some getting used to, but after 5 days I am loving it!

Now the touch-screen keyboard is a slightly different story. I have gotten more used to it after using it more, and compared again to either storm, it is definitely a step up. With my large fingers I have had to learn how to use it, but I admit it is getting better with time. It was not as good as i hoped for, but it definitely was a step in the right direction for RIM.

Display

The screen shows much improved clarity and an awesome display. Must say @ the time of this writing, I have been unable to load a movie on my Torch for viewing standards, but the demo video that comes on it is quite impressive. When rotated to either direction the response to the movement was fluid and crisp, almost immediate.

Phone

In every aspect I can find, using the phone on the touch is effortless. I love how the new OS 6 layered the number keypad, the call log, and address book into one page making everything you need to find, there for the using. The normal phone use has great clarity.

The speakerphone could have used a bit more work. the volume output was acceptable, but needed a bit more level for my preference. The point to me of a speaker phone is if everyone in my vehicle needs to talk to and hear the person on the phone they should have no problems. This is not the case, had the volume been adjusted slightly, this would have been perfect, in this reviewers opinion.

Battery
    For a hardcore Blackberry user, such as myself, this is one area I would have like to have seen a better job done. I am probably, more so than most, a hard-core user. There is many a day that I cant make it through on a single charge. Understand me when I say most users will probably be fine, but I work on my Blackberry daily, testing software and there was definitely still some room for improvement there.

Camera

This is definitely one area RIM made some awesome improvements in. The 5.0 MP camera is awesome.The new auto-focus you may remember from some of the newer Blackberry Devices such as the 8900. More than that, the new user interface which shows previews of last pictures taken, flash adjustment, facial recognition, not to mention a plethora of scene options for everything from low-light, to sports, to night-time and more. I have definitely, especially with a newborn son, made much better use of the camera on my Torch, than any other Blackberry I have ever owned.

OS(Operating System)

This is where RIM really did some overhaul to put this device on a shelf by itself. The overhaul for OS 6 to me was as different as going from 4.2 to 5.0. There were many that grumbled when OS 5,0 came out that it was not that impressive and things were not so different. From the Browser(see below for more) to the User Interface to all of the pop-up menus that are integrated and now a part of the built in OS, RIM definitely stepped up the game. They implemented pop-ups for many things, finally brought to life the 2-fingered pinch to zoom, and best of all the wicked awesome webkit browser. Everything seems to work faster on this Torch. the downloading and application installation are a breeze. The favorite thing for me is how superbly quick this Torch reboots. With my fully loaded 8900, I was averaging an 8-9 min reboot time. There are days of my life that I will never get back awaiting reboots on that old 8900. Upon opening this device and first full reboot, it took all of maybe 2-3 minutes. Now after adding back over a dozen apps, it still only takes about 3 and a half minutes!!!! That was HUGE for me!

Browser

Finally the browser, I saved the best for last. Rim really hit a home run with this webkit browser. I have left Opera mini on my BB forever, just because the tabbed browsing is a huge help to me. Rim finally caught on and dare we say it out loud, this OS has tabbed browsing!!!! I do way too much on my Torch and so this makes things so much easier. The page view or rendering I think it is called has also improved greatly. In other words you have an experience viewing pages much closer to viewing them on your home PC. With the still present mouse cursor to help navigate, browsing has never been more at ease on a Blackberry. The only thing this reviewer would have added is maybe flash support, but that may still be a long way off.

Conclusion

RIM can always do better. Ask any true hard-care BB user out there and they will be quick to tell you there is always room for improvement. However, in comparison with the last few devices out RIM's door, this device is hands down a winner. I wish RIM could have done this a year ago, so I would have a device to review that would just blow you away and make you jump ship from any other platform, but I don't. The Blackberry Torch is definitely the best thing RIM has done in many years and I am loving my most recent addition to my Blackberry family. I will just be looking forward to more things to come.

Overall rating: 9/10

Feel free to ask any questions if you would like more info, or go to your local ATT store, they should be on display now.

Rocking my TORCH!!!!

Also a special thanks to some of the Bellshare mods for helping me remember a few of the things I forgot!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Excellent review my friend!

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Nice review....
    Apple iPhone 5C 16gb (Green)

Follow Me on Twitter

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Good work bass!
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Great job, J!

I'm liking mine more every day

Follow Me on Twitter

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Mine has easily replaced my 8900 as my all-time favorite BB to date!

Thanks guys!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

Bass......you should of had a 9700.....killed the 8900 the torch well it takes the cake.....beats em both...

Follow Me on Twitter

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Bass the man ! Thanks for the write up ! I' m gonna order one from the uk, unlocked (the only kind) in September and promoting my 9700 to the display cabinet. The price is steep though (750 Euros) but as a BB addict I can't miss this one !
    Congrats also to BMay.

THanks del.....I may havce to buy an iPod touch to keep my apple fix....lol miss it but really am enjoying this new Blackberry

Follow Me on Twitter

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Berry nice review Yoda. Although, I still think like Mark that his 7290 can beat your new blackberry.

Enjoy your new toy dude and by the way NO THEMES FOR YOU! COME BACK ONE YEAR! NEXT!
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hey Raton - talk big you ! The 9800 and up and coming BB's are gonna run circles around our new yuppie phones, I betcha. It won't be long before we go back...

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    ^^ silly BB Fanboy. Roes that apply? Lol
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ you betcha bro. Ain't gonna be long !
    And now everyone seems to get a caption for a signature. That's cool, but Pinstack is getting to be like a site for famous quotes. Not you Raton, of course. You're just "rollin'". But for the best of me, I can't picture it...or figure it out either.

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Berry nice review Yoda. Although, I still think like Mark that his 7290 can beat your new blackberry.

Enjoy your new toy dude and by the way NO THEMES FOR YOU! COME BACK ONE YEAR! NEXT!

YOur just mad cause TB has not been released for the the Torch yet!!!(BUT SO AM I, I wanna themePLZZZZZZZZ)
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

My TORCH Rocks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast