Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi all, I am currently in a quandary My Bold 9000 is dying, the track ... BlackBerry Torch forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Question Should I buy a 9800?

Advertisement

Hi all, I am currently in a quandary My Bold 9000 is dying, the track ball does not work so well, and I am continually running out of memory, doing a battery pull or shift alt del 2 to 3 times daily, so as I am due for an upgrade I am considering purchasing a new phone. The quesiton is what to go for. I still like bb, despite the memory problems, and quite like the look of the Torch, I also like the Iphone4 . Which would be the simplest to change up to. Can you just swap sim cards, of course bb desktop manager makes life simple changing devices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    If you're due for an upgrade, try out the Torch first. You've got 30 days to decide whether or not you like it. You won't have "memory problems" with the Torch.

And yes, it's pretty much as simple as switching SIM cards. You simply need to use the Switch Device Wizard (much simpler and cooler with DM 6.0) and update your BIS settings. BIS is even a lot easier now. It actually detects that you have a new device and simply prompts you to validate all your e-mail addresses.

Or you can try the iPhone out first......

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Thank you Roger, I am certainly leaning towards the Torch. I am currently based in Canada, but still on ATT since a lot of people have my US number and ATT has a nice option that allows me to use the phone as I would in the US, (also allows the kids in the US to contact me without long distance charges for them). So I will have to get ATT to ship it to me.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    The 30 day trial period sounds very worthwhile, even if there is a restocking fee, at least it gives a chance to see how the phone performs.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Dushdavj,

Go for the Torch! It is by far the best  to date hands down! It will astound you how much better you like everything without the memory issues. I came from an 8900 and have never looked back, the trackpad rocks(I had to decrease the sensitivty it was so good) and even if you are a qwerty guy like me the pinch to zoom and other great feature make this the best of both worlds!!!

Good luck!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

HippieCowgirl no está en línea Stack level 2
    and the battery life is great! I had the iphone, go with the torch, if the torch was available my boyfriend would not have an iphone. i only used the iphone for about 4 or 5 months and I liked it but not as much as I love this torch and i have only have the torch about 2 or 3 weeks. its much simpler to to use and add songs to, it only took me a few mins to figure it out (when I had a pearl it took me months to get my songs in there and I never found headphones...lol)
    The new browser is great and just as fast as the iphone (possibly a little faster)
    the only complaint i have (not on the phone) is the cover that was out for it when i got it sucks, the top part falls off at the slightest bump...im still working on finding a nice pouch that will hold it. I got a great screen protector for it but not from at&t.
    Hope you like it as much as I do if you go for the torch!

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3
    I tried the torch after having MANY blackberry's over the years and i liked it at first but the more I used it, the more annoying it became. The on-screen keyboard is my biggest complaint. Its not accurate, IMO. I would type one letter and a different one appears on the screen. I thought it was my mistake at first so I watched it carefully and it did it about once or twice for every ten letters approx. There are other complaints but the keyboard is my first complaint and then the lag is my second compaint. overall, i was not happy with the phone after a few days of use.

if you like it, then thats great. but thats just my experience with the phone
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

kkrueger84 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask :)
    I've had my Torch for a few weeks now and I love it. Coming from an iPhone 3Gs, it took a bit of adjustment to get used to having a BB again, but I'm a fan of this phone. I've gotten used to the smaller and slightly less accurate touchscreen keyboard. The fact that I can use either keyboard is one of the main reasons I came back to BB. It may just be me, but I could never type out a quick email on a touchscreen-only device. The Torch offers the touchscreen experience, as well as the physical keyboard that BB's are known for.

When it comes down to it, it's all a matter of personal preference. BB's aren't for everyone, but then, neither is the iPhone. My best advice is to try the Torch and see if you like it. As others have stated, you can always return it.
    My pin only given out on request (and is contingent upon the fact that you don't creep me out)

http://twitter.com/kerrikrueger

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Thank you all for your comments, (mostly very positive) I went to the ATT website to purchase it, and was upset to find that ATT Navigator World version is not compatible with the phone. This is bad news because it is one of the applications I use most with my Bold. So it looks like I am going to have to wait until the there is an update on the app before I buy

Yeah, unfortunately there are still several apps that are not compatible with the 6.0 OS yet.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Dushdavj, they have been slower than i prefer to bring out Torch versions of the apps(i got it opening weekend) but slowly and surely, any Developer worth anything knows how big this device is and have released compatible versions. If you cant live without it, remember it may actually load, just show up smaller on your torch, LOL.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Thank you again, I have contacted Telenav to find out if they are working on an update, have to see how quick they are to reply. I am very tempted to buy it anyway as I am sure that there will be an update soon. I'll nurse my 9000 through a couple more weeks and see what happens

vLingo just released a Torch compatible version.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I have to say this Dave, Ive been watching this thread since you posted and didn't speak out at the risk of ruffling anyone's feathers. Some valid points were made here. Bass is correct, the 9800 IS the best BLACKBERRY to date. HippieCowgirl stated that she used the iPhone for a few months and liked it less than the 9800, she undoubtedly was speaking of the 3G or 3Gs, which is understandable, because comparing a 3Gs to an i4 is like comparing an 8310 to a 9800. I loved my 9700, and was hesitant at switching from Blackberry after 5+ years, but I did anyway. I'm in no way bashing Blackberry, they are excellent devices, but in my opinion, they dont hold a candle to the i4 for reasons too numerous to list them all, but here are a few- a 1 gHZ processor (roughly double that of the 3Gs), the best screen resolution on the market today, 5mp camera, HD video capabilities, multi-tasking, access to THOUSANDS of apps, and if jailbroken, thousands more plus that many themes, and FaceTime. Everything works the way it should, and extremely fast. My advice, since you posted seeking such, contact bmay82. He bought a 9800, then an i4, and ask him which one he still has and why. Good luck on your decision, and remember, it's what makes YOU happy that is all that counts. Just one man's opinion.
    Last edited by chokem; 09-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast