Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Just wondering if anyone has bought the 9800 and what are your thoughts on the ... BlackBerry Torch forum

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4

New BB 9800 Torch

Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone has bought the 9800 and what are your thoughts on the 6.0 OS and slide keyboard? Also how responsive is the touchscreen? I heard most of the specs are the same as the 9700
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

snoweey no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f389df
    Touch is pretty good although not as nice as my iphone. other than that the phone is great browser is super fast

dchandler no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    215EE851
    Hey man its pretty sweet, I think its the best blackberry out today

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Can't wait to get mine.

HyperM3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ive had mine for about 20 hours now(not playing with it the whole time of course, need sleep) and so far its a "nice" phone. Ive had both the bold 9000 and 9700 but have been using a Nexus One since March. I looove my android phone. That being said, I always need to try the new phones that come out, enter the 9800.

First thing I liked was the form factor. It feels very solid and heavy while not being uncomfortable. Fits very well in the pocket. Seems like they went backwards in terms of battery cover, its just a push on slide plastic back. Theres no button or hinge mechanism, feels less boldlike and more curvelike. That being said, its less slippery than the pleather of the bold so it works out I suppose.

Booting up is like 1/5th the time of the older Bolds. Really, this thing is much faster to boot. Battery pulls wont be so torturous anymore. The setup and interface is very nice. I like where the OS has progressed to with 6.0, but its not revolutionary. Its still a bit antiquated with the very gui OS's out there from the other big boys, but its still years beyond Symbian.

Couple things I noticed right off the bat compared to my N1. Reception is fantastic. Its not a surprise as my Blackberry's have always reigned supreme in the reception area. But this is a full 5 bars EVERYWHERE. I really have yet to see it drop. On my desk right now it has 5 bars to my N1's 3(out of 4, but still). The signal on the BB is -70dbm and the N1 is -95dbm. Go figure.

The biggest concern I have noticed however is that it takes FOREVER for email to get to the phone. I used to believe that BB was so fast with the Push technology but apparently it isnt so. My N1 actually receives emails before my desktop computer does! Maybe its only by a fraction of about 20 seconds but thats impressive to me. On the other hand, it has been taking an average of 10 minutes for my BB to receive the same emails. Being that my cell phone is also my business phone, I need information in realtime. If I get an email requesting a conference call in 10 minutes, I dont want to turn out being late for it because I dont get the email on time. Also, while on the rant of emails. I forgot how annoying it was to have to hit "display images" everytime you wanted to see the pictures in an email. Please, just give me a setting that its automatic for all emails!!! And sometimes you cant even see the images, you have to click the link for the website version. Yawn. The one thing that also lets me down is that I cant sync all the past emails from my outlook on the account. It will only keep/show the ones it has received. This isnt good for me especially if I have to get into any of the labeled folders I have. This is easily done on my N1. This is a big fail for the BB as a business phone, again.

Call quality is really good and clear. The speakerphone(which I use most often) is also loud and clear. Nobody I talked to could tell they were on speakerphone and for me thats great. Holding the phone to the ear is a little weird with the slider open, definitely easier in the hand with it closed. Either way its not hard to find the sweetspot of the earpiece. Volume is a bit low so just hope that you never have to take a call in a club, or next to an airplane.

I had gotten used to many apps on my android and started looking for them in appworld to no avail. I actually couldnt find a lot of my older favorite BB apps(viigo?) available for it either. Seems like it will take a while for developers to get on board with programming for 6.0. The apps that come with the phone make using it the shortwhile ok. Also it would have been nice if they had more than one theme in the device(if you can even call it a theme). Or the ability to make the app icons smaller or something. I just like to be able to tweak things, is that so wrong?

For some reason when doing a gmail sync(for contacts and calendar etc) I didnt get all my contacts carried over. Also, I had many duplicate contacts(15 of one of them!). So I had to take some time to go through my list and delete or add anything that was missing. Also for some reason my outlook calendar isnt syncing and that is again really frustrating as that is my business calendar. BB, you're going backwards!!!!

Battery life seems to be great, as expected, even with wifi and bluetooth on 24/7. Going back to having a qwerty keyboard is one of the best things about the BB. I forgot how fast I could type on it. Its really one of the most comfortable keyboards and reassuring that you're hitting the correct keys(as opposed to a full touch screen keyboard a la N1). I like that it now has autocorrect and word suggest even on the hard keyboard. I dont like that you need to hit the enter key to select the word and not the space key, doesn't make sense. Oh and going back to BBM didnt phase me. I still use text more than anything so missing that wasnt so painful.

Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to like this phone, I cant afford to keep it. If it was just a personal phone then that would be fine. But the fact that its not working well in the areas of my business needs, I think i must return it. I wish my N1 had the reception and battery life of the BB but it does everything else so much better. Im sure many of you coming from a 9700 or 9000 will love it. Its a great phone for BB. But its nothing thats going to sway the rest of us back to BB anytime soon. I really had high hopes for it.

ellandry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CA1371
    Wahoo ordered mine last night. I am stoked. almost 9 gigs of total memory expandable to 32 gigs Continous Autofocus on the 5MP camera is going to be awesome. I just noticed also that it supports GPS and Wifi which is a plus. Now if they can only add flash support

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Thanks for the overview, hyper! 'Preciate the feedback.

Anxious to hear more about this device as people get them.

blascrw no está en línea Stack level 1

my impressions...

My Torch arrived yesterday... I picked it up and began trying to migrate from my curve 8900...

1. phone is slightly heavy and very solid. I am not saying heavy is bad...some people will not like that.

2. lack of apps... hopefully this will change rapidly.

3. I had to uninstall virtually all apps off my curve in order for the switch device to work.

4. I am not used to a touch screen and mis-select, and mis-call frequently...

I am sticking with the phone for now...touch screens are where all phones are going...UNFORTUNATELY!! So I may as well start getting used to it now...

I will report back

The annoyance of running through the switch device 5 times last night...and still not all correct. I am about to wipe it and do the process again...

PIN/ID
    22CA1371

Switchover

Are you guys using the latest 6.0 Desktop software to make the switch over? Maybe thats the problem.

blascrw no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yep

The annoying this is all the apps that dont work so far.

but I guess that is to be expected.

PIN/ID
    22CA1371

Whew

Well I got an email that mine was back ordered but then later in the day it shipped anyway. I should get Monday. Does it come with any kind of case? Also what would you recommend as a low cost way of protecting the screen?

PS. Anyone know the specs I will need to rip movies in to play correctly on the Torch?

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I'm debating whetheror not I want to sell my iPhone 3Gs and 9700 for this phone. At I see it now it probably would not do any justifiaction for me to do that....lol
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I bought my Torch 9800 when it came out on Thursday. I have owned the 8100 and the 9000 and have never bought any phone the day it came out.

I am not at all disappointed by my purchase. I was an existing client with AT&T and I got to upgrade my last phone and got the discounted price. I love the touch screen and the slide out keyboard.

I love how you have the options to use the touch screen, keypad, slider keyboard, and the touch screen keyboard. There are so many options and all work great!

Most of the apps I had on my Blackberry switched over without a problem using DM 6.0 switch device wizard. It was very easy to do. I am amazed by this phone and it was a huge upgrade from my Bold 9000. I am very happy with it and I can't wait for themes to be made and more applications be updated for the BB.
    ~Lauren

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Question: when will the Torch have it's own thread on this site?
    and be added to the themes section?
    ~Lauren

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Good point, Lauren......we'll get it set up for you ASAP.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast