Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay, so a little backstory: I have had a blackberry for over 5 (pearl, then ... BlackBerry Torch forum

aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2

IPHONE 4 or TORCH?

Advertisement

Okay, so a little backstory: I have had a blackberry for over 5 (pearl, then bold) years, had an iphone (old old one) for literally 1 day and was dropping calls left and right.. and I just got the torch under a month ago.

Now I'm not sure I'm liking the torch so much anymore. For some reason, when I compare it to someone's iphone, it just seems slower: the switching of apps, the browser etc etc. Of course since it's the first version it's also glitchy (aka i'm very very sick of dialing numbers and hitting the mute and speakerphone buttons EVERYTIME i am on a call), but it's things like that that really frustrate me about the torch.

I feel like I would like the iphone because of the apps, especially the netflix app (and angry birds, of course). The things that I feel I would miss the most are the little red led light (yes, i'm anal) and bbm (which honestly, i could live without). I get my e-mails and whatnot on it but I do not really use it as a business device. I don't think I would be overly bothered with only a touchscreen either.

I know that I sound like I'm biased towards the iphone but I'm really just torn between the 2!

So now that you all know my life story:
    I have 5 days to figure out if I want to switch, however if i DO switch I am stucker than stuck with the iphone, so I want to hear honest reviews from people who have had both (feel free to give your opinions if you haven't though, pros and cons of each would be most helpful). I'm also slightly stuck in my ways, which is why I decided to get the bb in the first place. But if there's a better phone out there I want to know!!!

Thanks all in advance.

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional
    ive tried both and the main reasons i didnt get one are as follows. note it took me about 15 minutes to come to these conclusions after interrogating my at&t guy.

1. i hated the keyboard. i couldnt get one word to come out right. its personal preference but im not a fan of touchscreen keyboards, i dont even use the one on my torch.

2. insurance - its an issue with me considering there is a glass component for the iphone and the way i am....that was a huge factor. im a mom, i need something i dont have to handle with kid gloves.

3. lack of push support for ALL of my 7 email accounts. i think id rather eat rocks than be put on a time interval to receive important emails from something not supported as push by the iphone. remember, only some are supported as true push and once you get used too instant notifications from a blackberry, there honestly isnt any going back.

while my reasoning may not be yours because well, we all have our own needs, those were the 3 that kept me with blackberry for yet another contract. in fact, i jumped ship from tmobile for the torch. but as with anything else, its all personal taste and its up to you! it just wasnt right for me and i knew it when my kid asked me, "mom can you get the app for farting if you buy this thing?"

thats when i knew...

game over.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Let's see if I can help... or maybe confuse you more !

little acorn has hit the nail on thee head. I concur with all her conclusions. But...
    Since I have them both I question why I insist on using the Torrch. And the difference boils down to these questions you should answer yourself. What do I want a smartphone for ? Leisure or work ?
    If it's primarily lots of leisure and few work / business demands, then the iPhone is your choice. Another positive thing is the internet browser - its considerably faster. But then again no Flash, so a lot of browsing thats dependent on the Flash (Adobe) you will not be able to open. In todays environment dominated by Microsoft thats a real set back ! Like littleacorn stated, your mail arrives according to your cycle setup. It's not Push. And pity you if you receive attachments that have the Adobe Flash. Another negative factor is the battery life - it sucks big time ! especially if you gonna get entertained by all the (fart) software available...
    The Torch on the other hand is limited in the entertainment field. But that IS NOT the purpose of a BB.
    Make no mistake, you can have great music, see splendid videos and it has a great screen - and Flash is there. So everything works without limitations. Your mail, if it's important, gets pushed to you directly. The calendar and address book is far superior to the simpleton iPhone. The notes, the Tasks as well. And then...the battery. It outlasts the iPhone triple time.
    ...and finally, the qwerty keyboard. It's a gem. But then again, BB is famous for that ! If you don't want to use it ? Don't open it and use the screen ! It works very well too, and let me add this very important factor - the inbuilt dictionary doesn't invent words like the iPhone, which is extremely embarrassing in some occasions. Believe me, the iPhone dictionary, well it isn't one...

Enough said ! I wish you the best of luck.

nova609 no está en línea Stack level 3
    aiyssa,

I have been in the same boat as you for about 6 months. I have a crazy note to add though......

I called att last friday raising hell about my bold 9000 (my fourth one) and demanded that they replace through warranty. I complained very heavily at the fact that they keep sending me "used junk"(refurbs) as replacements; no wonder I keep having issues. Even though I am past my first year with this current one, i about fell off my chair when they offered me a BRAND NEW TORCH as a replacement, without the renewal of a contract!

Now back to the topic....I have been a pearl, curve, and bold owner for as long as they have been out..I don't think I could live without the physical keyboard. But I must say that all the iphone commercials are really starting to get to me.

Now I have this brand new torch and I have been playing with it. I have realized after about 3 days that if it were not for the slide-out keyboard, I would have sent it back by now. I love the option of the touch screen, it allows me to meneuver through the phone much quicker and easier, but in my opinion it is worthless for typing.

One issue though that I have found that I can't stand on the Torch is with the camera. I have an 11 month old son and he is at the point where he's starting to do some pretty cute stuff and making faces, which I like to catch pictures of.....but with the Torch, there's about a 2 second delay from when you hit the button to when it snaps the picture, which makes me miss alot of stuff I try to catch. Now maybe i just haven't been able to figure out how to adjust this but I have spent a lot of time messing with it.

Hope my opinion helped.

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional
    Another negative factor is the battery life - it sucks big time ! especially if you gonna get entertained by all the (fart) software available...
    hahaha. that cracked me up.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    <One issue though that I have found that I can't stand on the Torch is with the camera. I have an 11 month old son and he is at the point where he's starting to do some pretty cute stuff and making faces, which I like to catch pictures of.....but with the Torch, there's about a 2 second delay from when you hit the button to when it snaps the picture, which makes me miss alot of stuff I try to catch. Now maybe i just haven't been able to figure out how to adjust this but I have spent a lot of time messing with it.>

Roger answered this issue in a previous post and recommended turning off the autofocus and flash which removes the delay.

I looked into the Torch and Iphone 4, in the end I went with the Torch as I use it more for e-mails, would not go for the apps so much, love the battery life, like the keyboard, and I use bbm quite a bit. I think the OS 6 is a major improvement with a far better browser than previous blackberry's. I also like the insurance options and the fact I can carry a spare battery if needed. A final selling point was that ATT were selling it for $49 with the upgrade, practically giving it away. So far I am loving the phone. It does not have the x factor that the IPhone has, but then I am old enough to be past that requirement

Hi guys-- thanks for all of your help and input! eventually in the last few days the torch was getting on my nerves so much that it wasn't so much the torch vs the iphone but it was the iphone vs the samsung captivate. I ended up going with the iphone. It feels weird especially since I've been a blackberry lover forever but hopefully I made the right choice! funny how i feel like i've made a life changing decision but i have to remind myself it's just my phone

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Ive owned both, and I find that they are both really great devices. Probably the two best out there (my opinion). The 9800's battery life is about 20% less than the i4's, and the browser isn't as good as the i4's. But, as we know, nothing beats a berry for emails and communication. I had some difficulty typing with the i4, so the optional physical keyboard on the 9800 is great. If you watch a lot of videos and use your device for games, then the i4 is king, it does everything well. I must admit I was skeptical about a slider, but after close to a week with it, I feel right at home now. Good luck, you cant go wrong with the i4.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^on the button Glenn. Hear, hear !
    As you know, I had to come to Italy for some business. I brought the whole paraphernalia with me... BB Torch, i4 and iPad ! No papers, no briefcase.
    Still, managed with our bud RogerG to post an article, comment and have a whale of a time with the iPad and then, the iPhone, since some mad Italian bought my Torch on the spot, and I made a tidy profit. Apparently the Torch is in short supply over there.
    aiyssa babe, you can´t wrong with either of them
    And so you know- I'm at the apt in Milan on the i4 posting this. So Internet is a i4 benefit. I could do it with the BB but it would be more problematic.
    And I don't have it anymore...
    Last edited by Delfim; 12-11-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Kimberlee no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hey Chokem, your saying the battery is better on the iPhone 4. Wow i'm surprised. I'm still deciding between the 2 devices and battery life is important. What's been your overall opinion of the Torch. Thanks

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The Torch battery seems to be, at first, better. But it drains quickly if you have some programs active: Social Networks and BBM. The iPhone 4 seems to last a little longer... But there's not much difference in it.
    For my purpose I always carry recharger with me in the car.
    This is my 2 cents worth of opinion...

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    I personally will say BB are for business and Apples are more for play. As Glenn stated about BB emails are a walk in the park compared to Apple. I will die with an Apple in my mouth tho. My 2 pennies.
    Last edited by sooner; 12-16-2010 at 11:31 AM.

iLord is DEAD!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Kim, yes the torch battery life isn't quite as good as the i4. The i4 is awesome, the UI has got to the the best and most user friendly of any device out there. But, if you send a lot of emails and text a lot the torch is the way to go. I wish I could afford two lines and two data plans and I would be set. Its hard to pick one or the other, they excel in different areas. Get the one best suited for your needs, each device is top of the line.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Kimberlee no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks Glenn, I think I'm going with the iPhone 4. I just got back from Rogers and did not like the feel of the Torch at all. Way toooooooo bulky and a little heavy I thought. Now I was also playing with the 9780, that phone rocked but the screen is just a little small for browsing. So I'm pretty sure it's going be the iPhone 4. Thanks everybody for your input. Cheers

i actually have been really surprised at how good the battery life has been with my iphone 4, especially with how much I use it during the day (which i'd say is a lot). I was not expecting the iphone's battery to be better than the torch's but I was on empty quite a few times at the end of the day with my torch and I haven't experienced that with the iphone (yet). either way, very happy with my decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast