Folks, I've had a BB for a few years starting with a Pearl that died ... BlackBerry Torch forum

Jimsathome no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Do I go for a BB Torch or is there a Better Smart Phone?

Advertisement

Folks,

I've had a BB for a few years starting with a Pearl that died before my contract expired (and really piffed me off!) even though I was real easy on it. My vendor (Telus) wouldn't do anything for me at the time except try to "extend" my contract with a small subsidy for a newer phone.

A friend who's wife works for Telus loaned me her "old" 8330 Curve as she gets a new phone every year. (Must be a perk!) My contract expires in January so I'm looking about for a replacement as the Loaner is to be returned to my friend's wife then (along with my thanks and maybe a bottle of the good stuff).

I do love the larger keyboard on the 8330 but surfing the web (which I do infrequently) still sucks. I get unlimited Data and Web in my plan but the surfiing is so slow (only 1G - whatever that is on Telus) I really only do it when I need something (address, phone number, etc.,) One of the cool things is both my wife and son have BBs (8330's) so we can "Berry" each other from time to time.

My understanding is no vendor here offers "unlimited" data and web on the Torch (or any 3G smartphone - no 4G here yet - probably not for a long time according to my nephew who's an Apple I4 Junkie!); so moving to 3G will (of course) cost me more.

I do like the email functions of the Curve, and the Stereo BlueTooth connectivity is superb when walking the dog (although I never understand why I can't play tunes from folders rather than have to have all the smart tags filled in on my MP3s!!) I assume the Torch is the same. Is this true?

Should I be going for a Torch or is there a Better Smart Phone out there?
    Regards,

Jim

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I personally love the Torch, but I have also seen very good reviews for the BB 9780. I would say the first thing you need to ask yourself is do you want to remain faithful to BB, it obviously has advantages in the fact that your family has BB's which is one of the reasons I did not move away. I don't tend to play games on the phone, but I do surf the web, use it for e-mails, use the maps etc, and use it to communicate with the family while on business trips, like the fact that I can use data for this rather than paying for international SMS. The new browser is a real improvement, so much so that I no longer use Bolt or Opera Mini. I like the touch screen, and the slide out keyboard, although sometimes I miss being able to answer messages with just one hand (I have not managed to get used to the onscreen keyboard) so the 9780 could be a better option if you are not willing to put up with that. Having a larger screen I feel outweighs this problem.
    As far as music is concerned I cannot really answer that as I still use my Ipod for carrying all my music. I have insured the phone through my carrier in case of loss of damage, and I find it useful to be able to easily change the battery.

I do believe the Blackberry is still more efficient with data transfer than the other phones, not sure how much difference this makes though. I am based out of the US and still have unlimited data for my phone in the US but whilst in Canada the plan I am on gives me 50 mb/month which I never seem to go over, despite surfing, bbm, + emails. Again if you were constantly listing to webradio it may be a different story, someone else may be able to answer that.

I think you would find that both the 9780 and the Torch are major step us on the other BB's

I know some of the guys on here will give you lots more advise, read it through and good luck!!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago when my Pearl 8120 flaked and began rebooting.

I can personally vouch for the 9780 (I had the choice of that or the Curve 9300). I got one last week and carry only it now. I used to carry my Pearl and an iPod (either my Touch; one of my 2 Classics, 80 or 160gb, until the 160 gb went missing a few months ago; or a Nano or Shuffle). As I see u have had physical keyboards as I have, I would recommend the Bold. Both the Bold and Torch have the same camera and on board memory but the Torch comes with a 4GB media card where the Bold only comes with a 2GB media card installed. There are other differences but here's a review I posted http://forums.pinstack.com/f27/revie...9780_a-123601/

Thanks for the input. I'll check out the 9780 as well.
    Regards,

Jim

Folks,

I decided to go for the Torch. I'll be picking it up on Tuesday.

I hope I made the right call...
    Regards,

Jim

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Hope you enjoy it Jim, keep us posted with your review.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Thumbs up

Gents,

I'm learning this on the run so I really appreciate input.

(I got back last night from a work week in Pittsburgh. Brrrr....)

I'm finding the Torch to be quite funtional and entertaining to boot. I just have to get used to my big fingers moving about the touch screen.

I used the Media Player (better than previous versions I've had) with some Sony noise canceling headphones on both legs of the flight to and from Vancouver / Pittsburgh and it was still going after 5 hours (flying time) each way. I haven't synched it up to my BlueTooth Headphones yet (not allowed to be used on aircraft yet) but I'll probably try it sometime this weekend if I go walking the Dog.

I did synch it up to my Pioneer Headunit (CD/MP3/AA/FM receiver) in the car and it re-synchs wonderfully everytime! I had issues with the Curve just synching as a media player only about half the time, so it was really annoying when someone calls and you have to fumble about while driving. (It's also illegal here in BC to yak on your Cell when Driving.)

I did download the Sportnet App so I can keep up with the Canucks (and all) while on the road (off to Montreal again next week - then to York PA for more the week after). The TSN app failed (corrupt) so I took it off. I've got to remember this is a work device and not get too goofy

I brought my old BB Curve AC Charger with it's mini USB output when packing last week. It was very annoying when it wouldn't fit the Torch! I was really pissed BB went with a proprietary connector! Thankfully the IT guy in the Pittsburgh office had a cable (off his Droid?) that would plug into my Laptop's USB and charge the phone.

I also am not impressed with the stock Holster. You can't plug in the charger / communications cable when it's inside, nor can you used the volume controls (skip too). I may have to look at an aftermarket one.

I'm not into Facebook / Twitter or other social media. Even though it's standard on the phone, I think it would be seriously frowned on be management somehow. So I'll give it a pass.

I used to like BB messenger and wonder if it's outside of the Enterprise Server and "free"? (No Big Brother if you catch my drift...) Do you know how this works?
    Last edited by Jimsathome; 02-12-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Regards,

Jim

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
    I brought my old BB Curve AC Charger with it's mini USB output when packing last week. It was very annoying when it wouldn't fit the Torch! I was really pissed BB went with a proprietary connector! Thankfully the IT guy in the Pittsburgh office had a cable (off his Droid?) that would plug into my Laptop's USB and charge the phone.
    That's not proprietary! That's the standard since long ago (2009) and enforced now (from 2011 onwards) by the EU. All phones will be required to have one, yes, even the iPhone if they want to sell it in Europe. I also was annoyed but found an easy solution. For just 5 dollars you can get an adapter and keep using your charger/cables as before. For me that have many other devices with miniUSB, that is a much more sturdy connector, it was a wonderful solution.

I also am not impressed with the stock Holster. You can't plug in the charger / communications cable when it's inside, nor can you used the volume controls (skip too). I may have to look at an aftermarket one.
    Yes, but I'm using the 8300 one that works well for the media keys, but regretfully, not to charge it. I blame it on the new connector/keys disposition. There is no easy way to make a good holster with those positions.

I used to like BB messenger and wonder if it's outside of the Enterprise Server and "free"? (No Big Brother if you catch my drift...) Do you know how this works?
    BBM is the only thing that made me still use a BB. Most people I write with daily have a PIN and it's a really wonderful solution that also cut costs (SMS is still too expensive). The day they open it the day a lot of people will move to other platforms.

Android would have been the platform of my choice, with better hardware and great software. I believe it won't be as polished in usability but I didn't use it for long period of times so I can't confirm it. I'm quite used after 4 years to the BB platform.

Folks,

I was wondering fi there is a Dishpointer like App for the BB Torch?

I am also still not clear on BBM and if it's free and outside a corporate server??

Can anyone advise if the Torch defaults to web surfing via a Wi-Fi connection when available or do I have to tweak something?

Thanks for all the help.
    Regards,

Jim

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Let us know what Dishpointer is and we'll letcha know if there's an app like it.

Unless your corporate BES administrator locks down BBM with an IT policy, you should be fine. It's free.....it's included as part of the OS on all BlackBerry devices. Uses the device's data plan.

I am not aware of a setting that tells the browser to use WiFi when available.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    With regards to Dishpointer (satelite locator) the guys at Dishpointer say that the blackberry needs a compass for it to work, and apparently the BB's don't have one. Not sure if there are any other optiions out there.

Compass is coming in the 6.1 OS, I believe.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the comments. I hope they get the compass sorted as the Dishpointer app looks interesting.

I got back from another business trip last night so I'm still quite jet lagged and all (so I hope I make sense here...).

The Torch wouldn't look up my corporate phone numbers so I dropped by an IT guy in the office I was visiting. He wiped the Torch (after backing it up) but that didn't fix it. After a lot of fiddling about (I went away as to not be looking over his shoulder the whole time) he said it was my security settings on my email setup on my laptop that prevented it. He adjusted them and it worked so that must of been it.

I haven't tried it out yet. But hopefully it will work for me too.
    Regards,

Jim

Jim, check out my review of the Seidio Innocase Active case/holster combo. I think you'd like this case. I love mine, as I'm pretty anal about keeping my devices pristine. Kinda covers up the natural beauty of the device, but well worth the protection it offers.