I spent an hour with att, then another 45 min with RIM on the phone ... BlackBerry Torch forum

nova609 no está en línea Stack level 3

Completely strip an OS??? It can be done..right????

Advertisement

I spent an hour with att, then another 45 min with RIM on the phone yesterday to ultimately have them tell me that an operating system cannot be removed from a blackberry. Now I know this is a bunch of **** because I did it once a couple years ago. The reason I want to do this is because my torch is acting like it's haunted...freezing, shutting off, slow, etc.....Another blackberry I had did this and I stripped the OS and reinstalled it and it fixed the issue.........

I have looked everywhere I can think of to try and find directions on how to do a COMPLETE WIPE, not just apps and contacts...I want to take it down to the white screen.....I downloaded JLCommander and for some reason I can't get it to work on my computer (vista sux!!!)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nova609 View Post
    I spent an hour with att, then another 45 min with RIM on the phone yesterday to ultimately have them tell me that an operating system cannot be removed from a blackberry. Now I know this is a bunch of **** because I did it once a couple years ago. The reason I want to do this is because my torch is acting like it's haunted...freezing, shutting off, slow, etc.....Another blackberry I had did this and I stripped the OS and reinstalled it and it fixed the issue.........

I have looked everywhere I can think of to try and find directions on how to do a COMPLETE WIPE, not just apps and contacts...I want to take it down to the white screen.....I downloaded JLCommander and for some reason I can't get it to work on my computer (vista sux!!!)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Replacing the current OS would do as you describe - - DM (or "Desktop Software" as it likes to be called these days -) completely strips out the old OS before installing the new. However, a number of things can be making your Torch act freaky, are you sure you want to start out with the most radical solution? Maybe it's an app, or low memory, causing the problems

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    nova, I'd recommend a little more user friendly app called BBSAK. Seems their website is down, but luckily I've saved off a copy of the installer that you can use to download to your PC. Get it here.

Once it's downloaded, connect your device to the PC, then launch BBSAK. It'll ask you for a password......if you don't have one set up, just click OK.

You'll see an option to "Wipe Device." Use this to wipe your OS, which brings you to a white screen and an app error 507......success!

Then you can reload any OS you want, through DM, or my personal preference, the Loader executable you'll find in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader. It's towards the top, with a little phone icon next to it.

Let us know how it goes!

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    BBSAK is the best choice as RogerG stated. I call it a fresh install instead of a OS reload
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

"Fresh install." I like it, Jeff.

I really appreciate all the feedback...I downloaded bbsak and it worked like a charm!!!!! I guess I'm gonna hang onto the blackberry for a little longer....everybody is pushing on me to make the switch to android. Even two reps at the att store told me that blackberry is fizzing out and android is the future. I asked about Iphone but they said it's not all that, especially with the crappy warranty it has.

Any thoughts...I'm outta contract...do I renew with another blackberry or make the switch? I know more about translating chinese than I know about android....

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    I downloaded the BBSAK to try when my torch was messing up but had some trouble running. Got the new OS loaded and figured out it must have been an app giving me my problems. Glad you got yours working. Blackberry is not fizzing out and yes apples warranty sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by nova609 View Post
    I really appreciate all the feedback...I downloaded bbsak and it worked like a charm!!!!! I guess I'm gonna hang onto the blackberry for a little longer....everybody is pushing on me to make the switch to android. Even two reps at the att store told me that blackberry is fizzing out and android is the future. I asked about Iphone but they said it's not all that, especially with the crappy warranty it has.

Any thoughts...I'm outta contract...do I renew with another blackberry or make the switch? I know more about translating chinese than I know about android....
    If your AT&T stores are anything like the ones I go into where I live, the reps are all 20-something generation Y types who are, in my opinion, biased towards the Android platform.

BlackBerry may not be the hip, new device anymore and RIM certainly hasn't done much of anything impressive lately, but I think they're far from "fizzling out."

I currently own and am happy with my iPhone.

Nobody can say what the future is because all platforms will eventually "steal" ideas and features from the others to stay current with the competition.

It's all about personal preference......get what you're comfortable with. There are some decent BlackBerrys coming out in the next couple of months, as well as more offerings from 'Droid manufacturers and the new iPhone. So I'd hang tight for a couple of months and see what is available around the September/October timeframe.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    I've been able to upgrade for a few months now and have been waiting for the 9900. Didn't like it when they said it would be later this year before it made it out but I will still wait. Got the iphone near the end of last year and I think the one I have now is like the 4th one for several reasons. Hated the fact the last time I needed it replaced if I didn't want to be without a phone for a week or so why they decide to fix or replace I had to spend like $35. Now it sits and looks like brand new and was only used a very short time.

Roger you hit it right on the head. It had been a while since I had been into an actual store since I do everything online...and these two girls where about 20 and seemed much more interested in continuing their texting conversations on their phones than helping me. If they would have tried a little harder they would have probably closed me on a new phone since this is about my third torch. Like the phone but too many problems and glitches. Maybe I'll take some advice though and wait it out.

I will say that it makes it tougher though since my wife just got one of these new Tablets (Asus Transformer) which has the android software...talk about awesome!!!! If she would have had that tablet with the android before I went into the att store I would have switched to android!!!!!!!!!!!

you guys are awesome, thanks for the help.