So I got a Torch, overall very happy with the phone. When I was trying ... BlackBerry Torch forum

Instrumentality no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22C7107B

Blackberry Desktop Manager issues with Torch

Advertisement

So I got a Torch, overall very happy with the phone.

When I was trying to load some old apps I used on my 9000 in the desktop manager, I found that it was trying to "update" quite a few programs I had zero desire to change. Apparently the version numbers of things like Facebook are actually higher on the 9000, so it loaded that version onto my Torch, which made it not work with the feeds anymore. I had to download the OS from AT&T, then manually put all the facebook .cod files into a .jad file which I loaded onto my phone via the USB drive functionality, and executed from the built in filemanager.

I don't want to go through that crap again.

So, this begs the question: How do I make the desktop manager stop viewing these old files as available to install on my Torch? It seems to have a back up of all the .cod files somewhere, but I couldn't find it when searching my C: drive. I just want it to not install or update anything I don't expressly command it to.

Any ideas?

Instrumentality no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22C7107B
    Time for the self-answer: I figured it out; the stupid thing is looking at every backup directory I've ever made of any blackberry I've ever had. I thought it had this stuff in a settings directory somewhere.

Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake though... clean out your backups when playing with a new device!

Berrybaby no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    201F513
    Here's the dumb question of the day...but I WAS recently going through chemo so I'm using that as my excuse, lol
    Please keep answers simple..non geek preferred, tia.

Had a bb curve 8320 with about 350 detailed contacts....and a bunch of memo pad contacts AND old sms messages which help me function as my "memory" according to the phone "about" it looks like version was 4.5.0.81

Backed up last friday on DM.

Sunday, my sig other gifts me an unlocked 9800 so I install the OS (my old DM icon seems to have disappeared, though the backup is in my documents as an ipd file I believe). I try to move over contacts, memos and msgs and get nada. I DID get some songs I had on my laptop...
    Then I tried using bluetooth to sync...it recognizes the device...but still no contacts, memos, etc. My emails are working ok.

HELP???!!! I've spent several days looking for solution-everything from creating an excel spreadsheet to saving one contact (limited to 1 phone nbr) at a time to the sim card.

I've had bb's for 6 or so years and NEVER had this much trouble moving the data. Do you just lose everything with this new os? Oh yeah...ringtones all gone too

I can deal with everything except the contacts....that's my business and I have lots of info in each. ANYONE??
    Kathryn DeSautell
    http://www.lafitteslanding.com

"...I see dead people."

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Berrybaby,

You should download and install the latest version of Desktop Manager from RIM's site. I'm assuming you still have your 8320, so you need to use the Switch Device Wizard to change devices. This will move most everything from your 8320 to your 9800. Apps aren't going to work, but you can tell the Wizard to transfer data only. It's pretty intuitive, so you should be okay.

You'll connect your 8320 to your PC, launch DM, then in the upper left corner, select Device. Scroll down to Switch Devices. It will recognize your first device (the 8320), then back up everything on there for transfer to the new device. Once that's done, it will prompt you to connect your new device and will then load everything you need onto it.

Hope this helps!

Berrybaby no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    201F513
    Well that's what I've been trying to use (the new dm is a little different from the old)...backing up the curve as Ascii (since I don't use outlook at all)...so it shows both the devices, but when I go to transfer the info to the torch...well the sync doesn't activate. I've tried re-setting the configurations...unplugging the device and re-connecting. I click the sync, it boots (very briefly) to the "process initialized" (or similar wording) then dinks back to the "check what you want to sync". They're all checked...I hit sync again and same process.

Phone shows it's connected to the computer, so I don't think it's a plug or port issue...I'm just being extremely dense it seems
    Kathryn DeSautell
    http://www.lafitteslanding.com

"...I see dead people."

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Syncing and the Switch Device Wizard are two entirely different things.

I suggest you do a Security Wipe of your Torch and then run the Switch Device, which will do everything you need automatically.

Go to Options>Security>Security Wipe. This will reset your device to the way it was when you got it. Then, connect your 8320 to the PC, launch DM, select Device>Switch Device and follow the prompts. There is no syncing involved here. It will back up the data from your 8320, then prompt you to connect your Torch where it will restore your data to the Torch.