Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, I just got me a new Torch two days ago. I noticed BB maps ... BlackBerry Torch forum

chuckymafia no está en línea Stack level 2

BB Torch and BB Maps with ATT

Advertisement

Ok, I just got me a new Torch two days ago. I noticed BB maps was installed on my phone. This is a New phone straight from ATT. Now let me ask now why or why do they always do this and yet the icon is always hidden from I would say the Pearl 8100 from a long long time ago after a certain OS upgrade. Ok, besides that, has anyone been able to use it ? I created an address which seems to have helped some people with Other phones. Yet I could not get it to wokr. ATT maps came on instead.

I just got this phone and will be making some adjustments to it as always so if anyone has any information that could help. It would be appreciated.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    There are a couple of options out there, I had similar problems with ATT and there is a launcher available (the clever guys at pinstack have posted this in various places), I am just passing it on

http://www.gln.bz/ads.nsf/bbmapslaunch.jad

It worked great for me (on a Torch)

The other option is to use Google Maps which allows for street view and satelite view as well as normal maps. Each are good, I have both items, using ATT.

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    completely agree with dushdavj - I've been using Google Maps for awhile now, and I absolutely love it. And if you do decide to take transit in any major city, Google Maps will become your best friend. Great transit directions and walking directions to locations. BB Maps, quite frankly, sucks and it needs to be upated. But tell that to RIM, who I have to say I'm getting more and more annoyed with, and I've been loyal BlackBerry user for a loooong time now.
    My Smartphone History - 7130e -> 8130 Pearl -> 8330 Curve -> iPhone 3G -> Javelin(Curve 8900)

Well I had done my research prior to this since I do not know if the new batch of phones have this blocked or what ? I downloaded the maps application. The got that same loader. For some reason I get the exception caught error. I may try what I did once before. Put a Tmobile sim card in and save the services book.s Thanks for the posts guys. I will post if I find a workaround without the loader.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    That's odd I used the loader on my Torch with ATT and it worked fine. It is annoying that ATT block BB maps, had the problem with my other ATT phones. Now I have both BB maps and Google maps, which I prefer. I also have a TelUS torch which has BB maps as standad.

So I had an odd finding today. I downloaded this file directly off of ATT's site from the Blackberry part. I then downloaded the ATT file, not another vendor or such thing with the file name : 9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel695_PL6.4.0.105_A6.0.0.246_AT_am p_T
    So I have the older version of desktop manager 4.6

Here is the odd thing. i rebooted my computer and it would not recognize the software at all to even install any of the apps such as myspace, facebook, or games at all. So I did the obvious since I thought I may have got a different vendors download. I say this because I downloaded it a while ago. just after I had purchased my Torch. So the obvious is to delete the vendor.xml file in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader folder.

Right after wards I re ran the desktop manager program. Immediately it detected an upgrade. Odd again since the current version I had on the Torch and what ATT shows as the file i downloaded are the same. So I said, ummm ok. I installed the upgrade and selected Blackberry Maps.

Prior to this i went to the Blackberry site thinking I had downloaded the Maps app, yet it only said Maps Loaded.In the modules it shows lbs_ribbon.
    I then noticed that this was just a module. Ok so lets go back to the discovery. I installed the upgraded version of the software accordingly as that what it showed somehow, After the entire process I was expecting to have to get the loader since maybe this was why I was unable to get the loader mentioned above to work considering I had removed the BB maps app when i bought my phone since the icon was missing.

The loader only had the lbs_ribbon file. So i figured that they were two modules needed, The Loader and Maps. Well to my surprise, after I had finished the upgrade. BB Maps was there with a Logo that Said Maps, it was a square similar to the old BB Maps Icon on my Bold. Yet somehow this one had a purple trail. I said there is no way I got this.

Well I clicked on it and BAM. BB Maps fully functional and no hack or edit needed. All original Files and programs Straight from BB and ATT. So out of curiosity I went back to ATT's site to get the file again and to my surprise. I was re-downloading the file I already had. This is why I had thought I had got it from a different site from a different vendor. So this discovery tells me that even ATT's own firmware will not populate as I would have expected it too.
    Maybe it is because of the desktop version of the software I am using.

Regardless. BB Maps now works and it is a charm since the data used is so much smaller that Google and ATT maps. Making this faster and easier to use if you just want to see where you are going. I do use ATT maps and Navigator. Why ? Because it is voice guided and now tells me what lane to stay on. Yes I prefer safety over anything and do not mind paying for the service. Yet I also want to have a phone that is not limited or has blocked apps.

Thus why I took upon myself to get BB maps to works.
    Here are the steps I recommend to get it to work on a BB Torch with ATT

1. Have Desktop manager installed. ( I have tested it with an older version and am not sure if the newer version will work)
    2. Go to blackberry and select the maps app and download OTA
    3. Get ATT's own firmware for the Torch as noted above and install
    4. Reboot PC (If needed) and delete vendor.xml as noted above.
    5. If the software needs to be updated such as the BB OS, do so. If not, select BB maps and check the program and other programs you may want to add
    6. Wait for the process to take place and the phone reboots.

Upon rebooting the phone, you should notice an icon on the home screen named Maps. Please note that this worked for me and it is the Newest version of BB maps and has the new Icon without the need to install any extra apps as far as I am aware of since loader just uses one module.

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional
    Great find. But as stated BBmaps suck. They should've spent their time updating BBmaps instead of their lame traffic program. Instead of paying ATT for their map voice turn by turn you can get waze for free.
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

Well how is Waze ? I did see it and saw somewhat of different opinions about the program. I have yet to try it, yet am wondering if it is good since some people would state that it was not showingp proper information and had problems with the maps.

I've been with them almost from the start and am on there Alpha test team. Great app. Traffic and maps are real time because they're updated by the users.

I've been with them almost from the start and am on there Alpha test team. Great app. Traffic and maps are real time because they're updated by the users.

I will give it a try then. Thanks for the info

Keep in mind that with a BB as old as yours any gps app is gonna be a little sluggish

I have the New Torch ? It is old already ? lol

Sorry. Saw your profile and it listed an 8310. On the Torch you can use the touch screen options such as zoom and road edit.

Lol, yeah its been a while since I updated that. I think it was the last phone I had prior to this one, yet I removed BBM. Its been updated now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast