There's been much debate on the subject of tablets and their usefulness in everyday life. ... Android Tablets forum

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Motorola Xoom First Impressions

Advertisement

There's been much debate on the subject of tablets and their usefulness in everyday life. The Xoom only adds fuel to that debate because of the high price tag it comes with. So I wanted to share my thoughts after just one day with the Xoom in case you're on the fence about purchasing one for yourself. Other owners feel free to share your thoughts as well.

Hardware

As Motorola has shown in the past, with the Droid series of phones, they know great build quality. They continue the trend with the Xoom. It feels really good in the hand and you can definitely appreciate the premium materials used. It feels like metal with a soft touch finish on the back. The screen is gorilla glass. I've heard some reviewers refer to it as heavy but I disagree. Its lighter that my laptop and netbook. That being said, the weight is noticeable, but expected.

Screen

It's beautiful. I haven't compared it to the I pad or anything, but it looks amazing to me. It really stands out when playing games or watching movies. I used the multi-touch tester app and was able to register all ten fingers at once. Its been very responsive to say the least. Daylight visibility is descent. About as good as my Droid X.

Camera

Don't know how many pictures I'll actually be taking with it but the camera is very good. To my surprise, the 5MP camera on the back, beats my Droid X 8MP in still shots and video capture. Talk video calling works as advertised.

Battery

I'm getting impressive battery life so far. Its still too early to judge but it looks like a real champ in this department. I've been unplugged for 6 hours and I'm at 69% right now.

Honeycomb

I must say its been a pleasurable experience thus far. What Google has done here with Android 3.0 is really stunning. Up until this point, tablets like the Galaxy Tab, I pad, etcetera, all have smartphone operating systems slapped on top of tablet hardware. The ipad compensates by using apps made for a tablet and does a decent job of it. But it pales in comparison to Honeycomb. While some elements of Android look familiar, this is a drastic change for the OS. Google should be commended for not playing it safe and stepping away from the pack.

The home screen is rich with information most important to you. The video reviews just dont do it justice. It looks amazing! The Android notification system, which is absolutely the best on smartphones, has gotten even better with 3.0. The browser has all the features you'd expect from your desktop, minus flash. Web pages load fast! And tabbed browsing is perfect. The music player is pure eye candy. Something android needed at this point. Multitasking is where honeycomb shines and the 1 gb of RAM comes in very handy here. The keyboard is awesome. Word prediction, copy & paste, and spell correction are the best I've seen on Android.

Performance is solid the majority of the time. Not much lag that I can see, but there are plenty bugs present. My browser, YouTube, and most other apps have crashed at some point! Its not perfect by any means. I never expected it to be. But my overall experience has still been great and I know it'll get much better with an update. Nowadays, most electronics get hot with extended usage but not the Xoom. The Tegra processor is probably to thank for this. Gliding between home screens is magnificent!

Conclusion

Is it worth the price of admission? I say Yes! I can easily see its usefulness no matter who you are. Its more portable than your laptop or notebook, doesn't get hot like they do without any decrease in speed. Battery life is better, and its much more sexier! Can it replace them? I say not a chance. But it will turn your laptop into a desktop. I can't imagine holding a laptop the way I used to. I'll grab my Xoom instead. Honeycomb, while impressive, is still a work in progress that will only get better in time. I give it a 8/10 with potential to be a perfect 10 with the promised updates.

*UI. Android 3.0 is a true tablet experience. Something no other OS can claim at this time. Not once have I felt like I was on a big phone.
    *Speed. This thing is fast/blazing.
    *Camera.
    *Screen size and Res. Beautiful.
    *Hardware. The Tegra 2 processor has lived up to the hype. I'm so impressed with the no heat factor. It hasn't even gotten warm!
    *Notifications, multitasking, widgets, and home screens. All the Best in the business.
    *Build quality.
    *No buttons.
    *Keyboard.
    *Lots of fun to use!

Dislikes
    *Price. But it is comparable to the top ipad, which the Xoom destroys in every way, so I don't know.
    *Waiting for updates for flash, 4g, and sdcard support. This is a bummer plain & simple.
    *Waiting for tablet apps. Like the updates, a bummer, but there's plenty to keep me busy. For now!
    *Force closes. Honeycomb needs an update soon. Nowhere near unusable though.
    Last edited by rdills; 02-26-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7
    Great Overview.....thanks.
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Looks like a neat device....lets see what Apple announces with the next ipad this week....see how apples to apples stacks up....(current device to current device) instead of Xoom(current) to ipad(older) stacks up.... I'm loving all these new tab releases though...soooo many choices
    Apple iPhone 5C 16gb (Green)

Follow Me on Twitter

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Great review bud ! Thank-you !
    Honeycomb is on honeymoon ! Needs a update to settle down...

But it looks like a charmer !

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Great review bud ! Thank-you !
    Honeycomb is on honeymoon ! Needs a update to settle down...

But it looks like a charmer !

Thanks Del!
    Haha! Yeah, every time honeycomb acts up, it turns around and puts on a pretty dress and I fall in love all over again!

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180
    great review. thank you for your honest input.

1. What did they mention about the whole "send it back to us, so it can do 4g, later on" ordeal?
    2. Speaker and/or sound quality?
    3. Any Droid Sync or tab-to-phone perks?
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." ~BLAISE PASCAL

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcm180 View Post
    great review. thank you for your honest input.

1. What did they mention about the whole "send it back to us, so it can do 4g, later on" ordeal?
    2. Speaker and/or sound quality?
    3. Any Droid Sync or tab-to-phone perks?
    Thanks!

1. Nobody knows how they will handle it, only rumors. I heard that you'll be able to take it to Verizon yourself and wait for it. The sales rep told me it would be a OTA software update. How knows, but it faster than my laptop loading web pages on the 3g signal. So no rush for me.

2. The speakers are pretty loud but get distorted at Max volume.

3. I transferred a full movie(1GB) from my Droid X to the Xoom over bluetooth. Also tethering between the 2 works perfectly. Bookmarks synchronized automatically. That's all so far. The Xoom is a killer!

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Great review rdills! Thanks for the info. This has quite a few better specs than the ipad 2. I hope they sell a gazillion of them.
    Here's another good review over at Android Community if anyone is interested: http://androidcommunity.com/motorola...nity-20110307/

pmarshall no está en línea Stack Professional
    I LOVE my XOOM had it about 2 months now and wouldn't trade it for anything....I tried the g slate and all the other tabs out there and to me this was a no brainer on specs and performancenot to mention the expandable memory to 96gb glad its not stuck on a certain limit :-) . Rooted, over locked, rom'd and everything else....runs like a dream, thanks Motorola!
    HAHA HERO, MY TOUCH