Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG

Well, I've had the PlayBook Tab for a little over two weeks. I've installed a ... BlackBerry Playbook forum

Thumbs up Two Weeks with the PlayBook

Advertisement

Well, I've had the PlayBook Tab for a little over two weeks. I've installed a small amount of free apps from App World and configured the thing to the way I like it and it is very nice. It is a better BlackBerry than my Bold. The only thing I am using my Bold for now is phone calls and text messaging. I might as well go buy a little cheap Nokia flip feature phone and sell my Boldie.

All my PIM (Personal Information Management) is being done from the tab: Calendar, with a sync to Google Calendars; Note-taking; Password and Sensitive Info storage; Tasks; etc.

All of my multi-media is on the Tab: about 5000 personal pictures (family, vacations and such); a couple hundred videos; and my music. The stereo speakers on the PlayBook are very nice, plus there's the headphone jack. The camera is very nice, slightly better than the Bold's (which is saying a lot! The Bold's camera is among the best) for both stills and videos.

All of my work and personal email
    (4 personal accounts, my PinStack email account, and my work email) is pushed to the Tab and the interface is very nice. For my Contacts I am using the Google sync.

Word Processing and Spreadsheets are transitioning to the PlayBook, I've discovered that the native (free) "Docs to Go" software is a lot stronger than the paid version I had on the 9780. I'm already doing employee schedules and other simple workbooks on the Tab, and am doing most of my writing there also. Predictive text is very, very well thought out on this device. The keyboard on the PlayBook is much, much better and faster than either the Bold's or my desktop computer. I'm thumbing about 50 to 60 WPM!

The browser and other internet-related apps (like YouTube and Facebook) are very nice also. I was pretty critical of the browser in my review, but given a little time to play with it a bit I've discovered it's quite capable. It lacks the scope and strength of my desktop's browser, however, but it is worlds ahead of my Bold's little webkit setup.

The screen is big and bright, I can never go back to the little Bold screen.

All in all, I'm a very happy camper. For $199 this ain't bad at all, folks!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Tabs do have their place, they really do work well. Remember they are just as susceptible to lost/stolen/damage as a phone so current backups" are your friend with so much being on the device.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Tabs do have their place, they really do work well. Remember they are just as susceptible to lost/stolen/damage as a phone so current backups" are your friend with so much being on the device.
    Always good advice. The Desktop Software does encrypted and passworded backups similar to a BlackBerry smartphone.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm glad you're enjoying it and using it for its purpose. Regardless of whatever tech we individually like, it's our own experience with what we work with, that matters. I also notice you're using Google for calendar and contacts. It's a good move. That way your PIM data is always backed up.
    Give Google Drive a tryout for your docs. Either through the Drive app or you can have it accessed via your DocstoGo app.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Speaking of Google, I'd sure like to know why they haven't come up with a Contacts Sync in addition to the Calendar Sync. I ended up buying software to sync my Google contacts with Outlook. iPhone and Google are automatically in sync, but not Outlook.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^Yeah, Outlook. That's why I don't work with it any longer. I remember the hours I spent cleaning up after all the duplication of entries.
    My eldest son swears blindly by it. But I've moved on...you should do the same.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I dun wanna! But let's not hijack Mark's thread. lol
    Delfim likes this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^^Don't you dare there are so few positive threads these days about bb products
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I've been using my Playbook for over a year now and am still enjoying it. It has not replaced my BB or my computers but it works as a great supplement and saves me carrying my notebook so much. Sugarsync, Dropbox and Box are all very useful in syncing everything
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2