I upgraded to OS2 yesterday, and was really happy with all the enhancements until I ... BlackBerry Playbook forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Problem with seeing files using FileManager on OS2

Advertisement

I upgraded to OS2 yesterday, and was really happy with all the enhancements until I found that I could not see any of my Photos, Documents, Videos using the onboard file manager, which meant that the photo software, word2go etc. could not see the files either. Luckily I had 3 other file manager apps on the Playbook so I was still able to open documents but this was still a problem. I searched the web, and various sites to see if anyone else was experiencing this problem, and sure enough there were a few comments asking for help, along with some angry comments saying they wanted their money back (which was understandable since it happened to them on a business trip and they were unable to access their files, I learnt years ago not to update software on a PC during a business trip, or just prior to a business trip due to the problems that it could incur, we have to remember that OS2 is a major upgrade).

I connected the Playbook to my computer and did a file search, I believe that the File Manager may use a database file to identify the locations of the documents and pictures, so I thought this file could have been corrupted somehow, so since I could not find any solutions I thought I may have to backup all the files and then reinstall the software, then move my files back onto the PlayBook, not too big a deal, but something that I would do in the evening. This I am sure would have worked. Other thoughts came to mind that I may have some App running on the PlayBook that is not compatible with OS2 yet, which of course would likely be one that accessed files, so this was something else I intended to check out.

Just before I started to do the backup, I had a notification that the Air Browser (File Manager) I was using had an update, so I updated it, and all my files were immediately visible. So it would seem that this may have been the culprit, or it may have just performed an automatic update of the db files, or even caused the OS to rescan the file system, I don’t really know what fixed it, but all is now ok. So I hope this helps anyone who may have similar problems.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    As a further update, I have not had the problem since, everything working fine, never did re-install the Airbrowser though, although I do not think this was the culprit, just don't really need four browsers.

Latest update working really well.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2