Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

After reading allot on AT&T not supporting the playbook and everybody saying they are just ... BlackBerry Playbook forum

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

Is AT&T wanting to kill the Playbook

Advertisement

After reading allot on AT&T not supporting the playbook and everybody saying they are just wanting to get those with grandfathered unlimited plans now I'm wondering if it's that or are they just wanted to kill the playbook. Could be both. Since apple let verizon have the iphone could AT&T be helping apple by killing the playbook and hoping apple will give them the iphone5 long before verizon? We may never know for sure but we all know these big companies play with us like this just to get more of our dollars.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I don't think it is that. Verizon hasn't even officially endorsed the playbook. It's more of a rush job by RIM. Trying to get a productto market before they had everyone on board.

RIM have killed the playbook with this Bridge crap. Reported numbers are that they sold 50,000 on launch day.

trseti no está en línea Stack level 1
    Have to agree with you there. This whole bridging issue gets to me too. The playbook should have offered more features natively within the device.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I rather liked the idea of the bridge, not having to buy a data plan specifically for the device seemed to be a good idea, being able to use both WiFi and 3G through my blackberry, the last thing I want is another phone bill to contend with (already paying for my kids phones, family plan etc, plus thoughts of getting an IPad 2 64Gb 3G).
    Of course why would I think that a company like ATT would be happy to not receive more money for an additional data plan, silly me, big business care about the consumer, that's like believing that our government will listen to the people

Bridging is one of the big reasons to have the playbook. Paying a little extra to use the internet with your phone might be okay but for those with an unlimited data plan we can't add that on without losing it. AT&T is big enough they don't worry about what we want they only see the $. And they really want to get those of us that still have unlimited data plans. Maybe RIM pushed the playbook on the market but if folks at AT&T didn't know what was coming they are not very smart. To me it seems like these companies are not wanting to support RIM but I think they forgot who helped get the smart phone market started. And nobody does email like Blackberry

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Agreed BMAN, and it took some doing but I am using the PB and bridging just fine with my Torch on its grandfathered plan.

Def agreee, i dont need any more bills for my data access, right now I pay a few hundred as is for ATT and the less than perfect service.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Looks like AT&T wants $20 extra, that sucks. Most of what you are using the data for is just so you don't have to pull the phone out so that is too much

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    and thats just another reason to not want the merger of att and tmo to be apreved
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    As far as i am concerned ATT is not going to get that out of me, I am already paying too much, Bridge browsing will not happen.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    and thats just another reason to not want the merger of att and tmo to be apreved
    Nice to see you pop in, E!

AT&T does get more then enough out of me now so another $20 is not happening. To me the idea to be on my tablet and not have to pull out my phone to reply to a BBM or email was nice but not paying $20 extra to do it

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Maybe ATT is trying to kill the playbook or at least bring in more money, after all if you go with the IPad (1 or 2) and have the 3G version ATT get a nice little income coming in, and I am sure that they hope people would forget to turn off the auto renew on the monthly basis. Take a look at the charges they want for the internetional plan, quite why anyone would do that when you can just go and a new SIM card from a local carrier overseas I don't know. Still I for one will probably not renew my ATT contract because of this, I really do not like penny pinching particularly when I am paying a high monthly premium!

Might be better if they would go to only charging the $20 every month, but then I don't think they should charge the $20 in the first place

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    played with it a few times at the airport, looks cool and definitely a nice change from my iPad. I'm open to other devices, even though i'm a hardcore mac enthusiast. Looking forward to trying a new WP7 or new blackberry Torch2 to reach away from the iPhone for a bit
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    well AT&T wanting to charge for the bridge has nothing to do with trying to kill off the playbook or rim. It's more or less a way to make money. Think about it. About 85% or more of americans have a cell phone, where is there a way to make money (if the cell phone industry doesnt change they'll end up like the wireline market). With that being said roughly 13-20% of americans are subscribed to a mobile web/braodband plan so thats where the industry is now, the reason for tiered data plan, netbooks, tablets, data sticks and a push to achieve the fastes and largest 4g network even though technically they don't exist.

look at data as texting a decade ago.

so at&t wants to make money any way they can so if they can squeeze extra money from playbook users they will. As you may have noticed the latest os update for the playbook allos you some data access to the web, thats a great addition from rim but works out great for the wireless provider because you the consumer is using data from your blackberry to power your playbook if you go over you get charged extra or get throttled down.

so its just a ploy to make more money
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast