Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Love to hear comparisons from owners. Sounds like a lot of people are hesitant to ... BlackBerry Playbook forum

rachaelp no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Does anyone here own a Playbook and an iPad?

Advertisement

Love to hear comparisons from owners. Sounds like a lot of people are hesitant to spend the money for the Playbook, and I haven't seen anyone with one in the wild yet. However, I've seen lots of people with iPad 2s in Miami already. I wonder what that means for the Playbook?

Personally I think it's too small for a tablet - since my iPad is a replacement for my laptop, and I am looking forward to saving up to buy the 2nd gen and then selling my current 64GB/WiFi only 1st Gen (which works beautifully and doesn't have a scratch on the screen, but has dents on corners...). I use it for my artist portfolio, as well as for travel so the cameras for Skype should make it close to everything I need!

Love to hear what people think about the Playbook though - is it enough of a laptop replacement, or more like a big iPod Touch with Bberry technology? I just don't know how I feel about it.

trseti no está en línea Stack level 1
    I personally don't see it as a laptop replacement. If you're just showcasing your artist portfolio then it would be fine, but you'll have a better screen with the ipad2 for that purpose. I like the Playbook and believe it has a lot of potential with future updates but bridging the playbook to your berry for instance bothers me. I wish it had the ability to do more things natively without requiring the pairing.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    My daughter loves her IPad, uses it at University, she also has a high end Dell Notebook, the Dell Notebook with a flip screen that she won, and a blackberry, uses each one for a different purpose, I believe she carries the Dell Flip screen, the BB and the Ipad with her. She was talking about the playbook the other day to extend the screen on her bb, personally I think she may be going for overkill , and she is an English Major.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow, she carries them all with her AND wants to add a PlayBook? Overkill is an understatement!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Yeah I think she may be becoming a little bit geeky but she maintains it saves her carrying books! If the playbook had BBM on it, I know she would get one!

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Yeah I think she may be becoming a little bit geeky but she maintains it saves her carrying books! If the playbook had BBM on it, I know she would get one!
    A lot of people I've talked to say the same thing. If the playbook had features like bbm, mail etc built in they would go for it. I still think that's how it should have been built in the first place. *sigh*

You're right, trseti. They spent all this time hyping the thing, yet they didn't have the foresight to put some of things on the PlayBook that BlackBerry does best. Silly.

I mean, BBM and e-mail are two of the stronger points of an otherwise outdated platform. They're what BlackBerry users really can't do without, despite the onslaught of cross-platform chat clients and push-mail wanna bes out there.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    The should be adding BBM to the playbook and since you are going through your phone I would like to see texting too. Yes it would have been nice if they would have more things on at launch. I don't think any tablet will be a laptop replacement but for some things a tablet is a good thing to carry instead of the laptop.
    Now I don't remember who was coming out with it but the one were its a laptop and you can just take the screen off and it's a tablet sounds like a good idea. If together it has everything a laptop has but just popping the screen off makes it a tablet I think that could be the best of both in one. With that being said I still think a device with the 7 inch screen is still a very handy device to have since it is just easier to carry with you all the time

The size is great for portability. It's feels solid to hold and use one-handed. But at times I've been wanting a slightly larger screen. It will be interesting to see what future versions of the Playbook get released.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    My wife has just got an Ipad2, I have a Playbook. The Ipad2 is very solidly built so is the playbook, however the playbook seems to have better cameras on it plus it comes with a protective cover, a cloth to clean the screen, and apps that make it useful out of the box. The Ipad I bought her has 3G 64Gb yet I had to buy a case + if we had wanted one a cleaning cloth. Small things petty even but I just felt Apple was sticking it to me. It has a good browser Safari and a lot of Apps that can be purchased, it is good that you can buy data on a month by month basis, but must remember to cancel. The playbook bridge browser is slow, but then you dont need a data plan as you can use the bb.

Not sure which I prefer at the moment I certainly think that both devices are comparable which with all the hype in the press about the Ipad is surprising RIM has done a good job

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Some further comparisons. My wifes Ipad2 has 3G which is great for browsing when we are traveling, yet again the BB Playbook's browser is not very impressive when using the bridge option. When it is on WiFi I really like it, and much prefer the method of closing windows, getting menus, flipping between windows, etc., BB have really got this right, I keep trying to do it on the apple and wonder why it wont work The Ipad 2 of course being Apple has a good operating system, but I really don't feel that it is way ahead of the Playbook, in fact I think RIM have done a really good job, and if I prefer it to the IPad2, which to me is more like a giant version of the IPhone.

jevel no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have an iPad, iPad 2, PlayBook and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and in this comparison, the PlayBook simply does not cut it. The major take it has on the competition is the GUI and the way you navigate it. It really flows and feels incredibly natural.

The strength of the iPad is the enormous multitude of applications available for it. There's thousands of apps for the iPad per single app made for the Galaxy Tab, and then tens of thousands compared to the PlayBook.

I use the iPad mostly as an entertainment HUB in the home. I stream music from it to my stereo over AirPlay and I play games and read on it. The Tab is my day to day driver due to the screen resolution. I simply prefer browsing in WXGA compared to the SVGA iPad.

Sadly the PlayBook has missed the mark. The device it self is very nice, the OS really shines, but the total lack of commitment from the community and the developers has taken its toll. I mean; come on? No native email on a device like this many months after release, now that is how to tell your customers to stay away.

-KJ

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Jevel has made some good points about the 3 devices, here is my take on them. IMO both the Playbook and IPad are toys (I don't have an opinion about the Galaxy Tab as I don't have one), by Toys I mean I can live without them, can I live without a PC probably but it would be very difficult. Having said that my wife's IPad is now on the coffee table all the time, used for quick browser searches, playing music on Itunes (replaced her Ipod) although it can't replace my IPod since the disk is too small, 64 Gb, this is ridiculously small. She also has an APP for listing our DVD collection on it, again you have to buy it, and really annoying that it does not multi task, so shutting one App down opening another one copying information then going through the process again is a major pain. Yes there are far more Apps on the Ipad than the Playbook, but the Ipad has been out much longer, plus a lot of the Ipad Apps are upscaled from the Iphone which has had even more time for developers to work on it, so let’s be fair, how will the Playbook look in 5 years? I like the fact that I have OfficeDocs on the Playbook (no additional purchase) unlike the Ipad. Also the Playbook due to its size comes with me, whilst the Ipad stays at home on the coffee table, I have used the video camera and the camera on it quite a few times, when I didn’t have my SLR with me, and it takes good quality pictures, better that the Ipad. I also use the bridge capability a lot which is very useful.
    So it is really up to the individual and how they want to use their toy as to which to buy
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Jevel has made some good points about the 3 devices, here is my take on them. IMO both the Playbook and IPad are toys (I don't have an opinion about the Galaxy Tab as I don't have one), by Toys I mean I can live without them, can I live without a PC probably but it would be very difficult. Having said that my wife's IPad is now on the coffee table all the time, used for quick browser searches, playing music on Itunes (replaced her Ipod) although it can't replace my IPod since the disk is too small, 64 Gb, this is ridiculously small. She also has an APP for listing our DVD collection on it, again you have to buy it, and really annoying that it does not multi task, so shutting one App down opening another one copying information then going through the process again is a major pain. Yes there are far more Apps on the Ipad than the Playbook, but the Ipad has been out much longer, plus a lot of the Ipad Apps are upscaled from the Iphone which has had even more time for developers to work on it, so let’s be fair, how will the Playbook look in 5 years? I like the fact that I have OfficeDocs on the Playbook (no additional purchase) unlike the Ipad. Also the Playbook due to its size comes with me, whilst the Ipad stays at home on the coffee table, I have used the video camera and the camera on it quite a few times, when I didn’t have my SLR with me, and it takes good quality pictures, better that the Ipad. I also use the bridge capability a lot which is very useful.
    So it is really up to the individual and how they want to use their toy as to which to buy
    i agree; it depends on how you use it. I don't like the ipad simply because you have to buy a separate data plan for it, and the size. a friend at work had a samsung 7' inch android tablet and i thought the size was perfect. that's when i started looking into the playbook...on of the major complaints i keep hearing is the lack of apps, even if it had 1 million apps for it would you actually put on, let alone use ALL 1 million of them??...i plan on using the playbook mainly to surf the internet and maybe load a few movies on it. also i've started writing a screenplay so it would be nice to carry it around and add a paragraph or 2 at a moments notice...other complaints that i hear are gig size which also doesn't bother me seeing as how i've had a 30 gig video ipod for 5 yrs and have yet to fill it. i hardly use it now due to the pandora and slacker radio apps...
    so even if i did end up getting the 16 gig playbook it would be more than enough for me to handle...now due to it's capabilities i may throw in a game or 2 but not likely it would exceed that since i have an xbox to handle my real gaming needs...now if i can plug a portable drive to it so i can transfer movies back and 4th then i'll be a much happier camper

also i'd like to add that i have a netbook/tablet hybrid ( Lenovo ideapad s103t) but as some have mentioned when you add in the accessories for it (speakers, dvd drive, charge cable, carrying case, etc.) it becomes cumbersome and a pain to carry just to have something to surf the net and watch movies every now and then...not to mention that it takes a few minutes to startup; and when time is of the essence i'd like to have something that's ready to go right away.
    Last edited by Optimus; 11-15-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast