Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First thoughts when I saw the Playbook announced was the screen was too small and ... BlackBerry Playbook forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Blackberry Playbook first impressions

Advertisement

First thoughts when I saw the Playbook announced was the screen was too small and that I would much prefer an IPad2. So why would I choose a Playbook especially a 16Gb one?
    I have been reading the reviews, of both the IPad and the Playbook, looking at both tablets in the stores, and trying to decide if I needed a tablet, and if I did what functions would be really useful for me. For example I do not play many games (if any) on my computer, or smartphone, (hence the reason I do not have an IPhone ), I carry my music on an IPod (the classic with about 90 Gb of tunes) so the IPad would not help me there. I have also been quietly observing people using different tablets on the train during my commute. There are a few that get out their IPad’s, but only when sitting, those people standing seem to have more trouble working or playing games on it, they certainly do not look as comfortable as people using the Kindle style readers, which are similar size to a Playbook. My phone(s) are all Blackberry’s. The logical step is to go with something that will integrate with the phone. In addition and has the capability of creating office documents, performing presentations and so forth. Back to the Blackberry playbook, which I have had now for less than a day.
    What comes out of the box with the cheapest version of the Playbook?
    • 1 7” 16 Gb device.
    • Power Plug
    • USB cable – Interesting that it has two USB ports on and a magnetic charging port. The phone charger is a lower power and would take longer to charge the Playbook.
    • A cleaning cloth
    • A cover, although it is not easy to put on, so I think I will look out for a book type cover for it.
    What accessories would I like to get?
    Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger
    Blackberry Journal Case
    GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage 500 Gb Seagate Drive – Can connect via WiFi ($199.00) since this will extend the amount of storage available.
    What is good about the Playbook?
    Blackberry Bridge – Connected to my phone via Bluetooth, opened bridge and I could immediately see my e-mails from the phone, my files on the phone use BBM, contacts, memopad, and use the browser, it was like have a large screen blackberry. Works extremely well, very impressive, I would buy the Playbook just for this, the screen is clear and the typing on the screen precise. I like this a lot!! . The browser is great; using the phone data plan is good in areas where there is no WiFi. I actually connected two different phones using the Bridge and since it does not leave any data on the Playbook it is a good option – you can only connect one phone at a time though.
    Tether. This was interesting as I thought why have BB Bridge and tethering. Tether basically replaces WiFi, which means you are able to use the Playbook native applications, in addition it is possible to Tether any Smartphone to the Playbook, not just BB’s. Again it works well.
    Presentation mode – I was able to run a PowerPoint presentation from my Playbook, business wise this is a great option since I don’t have to take my computer with me . I was also surprised how quickly Acrobat reader opened up and allowed me to access PDF files sent via e-mail to my phone. This is working out as a great business tool.
    Word to Go, Sheet to Go, also are very useful and have similar functionality albeit cut down to Microsoft Office.
    The calculator is also powerful with a scientific option, standard mode, tip calculator, and conversion option
    Overall so far it is a great business tool, and while it does not have the “millions “of Aps that the IPad has, it does have all the functionality that I am looking for to improve my efficiency whilst travelling out of the office, a lot easier to use than the blackberry on its own and quicker than getting the computer out.
    No pictures yet

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Thank you, David! Keep us posted on your journey!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thank-you Dave.
    It´s useful... it´s what I appreciate about it. Or from a smartphone.
    Brings to mind: When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
    The Playbook is a tempting tool for me to have....

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    I have had my Playbook since opening day and love it. When tethering it is almost as fast as my desktop, but I must say that using the bridge browser is all but useless at this time. I assume that RIM will be tweeking it as time goes on. I love using the bridge and having access to all my emails, bbm tasks calender etc. Plus one on this. One thing I hope will come along soon is instant messaging/ texting over the bridge. As it stands I can answer emails, make calender entries, and open emails from contacts. I cannot however click on a phone number and send a text. Im sure its on the list. Appworld is beginning to grow (thank goodness) as it was quite slim pickings on day one. It will be fantastic when the droid apps are thrown into the mix. (will they be free as they are for the droid phones? because the going rate for basic apps in Appworld for BB are more then most are worth). The screen is top of the line and I have a number of movies loaded up. The Kobo reader is good and I have used it a fair bit. Easy to purchase books and free books are available. The media player is adequate but I find that the volume with or without headphones is not as loud as simply using my Torch. It does not have any fine controls such as an EQ etc at this time.

Screen size?. No problems with the 7 inch and I can carry it around all day....

Hope this helps! Cheers
    godsdameatIluvdezlittleboxes

The answer to everything?...BBSAK http://rimgeeks.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=56

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    i agree the Bridge browser is slow but overall it is a very useful tool The battery life atm is not very long even so I like it a lot. it is quite heavy for its size and feels very solid much like the Nikon DSLR cameras .

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Just had a thought, this is the first Blackberry on which you cannot do a battery pull, how will I survive???? Might lead me gently into a different type of smartphone. lol

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ... And what a thought Dave!
    And now?

One never feels ok without a traditional battery pull. When will we get over it?
    I'm sure that a combination of button presses will do the trick. Anyone know?
    Or else, let the battery run down completely... Just a couple of hours...

Ps : Sorry Dave, couldn't help it...

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Actually you can do a number of things, holding down the power key to power off or Restart (it gives you the option. If the Playbook freezes then Simply hiold down the power button for 10 to 15 seconds and the PlayBook will restart. Even one that's locked up. so yes there is a way but its not the same as taking a battery out

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ... It's just psychological!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Ok I have been using the Playbook now for about a week, and overall I am impressed, although it does have a small glitch that I am finding rather anoying, basically the screen is slow to rotate when I turn the device, this may be specific to the tablet I have, but is certainly does not work as fast as the adverts, which is a bit dissapointing, sometimes it remains in portrait mode until it I shake it. May have to take it back, unless this is normal?

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7
    Great feedback and analysis by everyone......this could very well be the "upgrade" I've been thinking about.....next step....a retailer to enjoy some hands on....
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Actually you can do a number of things, holding down the power key to power off or Restart (it gives you the option. If the Playbook freezes then Simply hiold down the power button for 10 to 15 seconds and the PlayBook will restart. Even one that's locked up. so yes there is a way but its not the same as taking a battery out
    Well, that would take a little getting used to also. The 3-fingered salute is so habitual in Berry land.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I am still pretty happy with the playbook the latest software update has speeded up the screen rotations which ks good. it would be nice if the typing shortcuts from the blackberry would work here, like double space for full stop holding the key down to capitalize and auto-correct for spelling. Other than that it is pretty goox, he camera is excellent (needs a flash)

The bridge browser is still painfully slow..WiFi is good though

jevel no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    • USB cable – Interesting that it has two USB ports on and a magnetic charging port. The phone charger is a lower power and would take longer to charge the Playbook.
    Actually, the one port you see under there is an HDMI port.

How do you feel about the PlayBook after a few months of use?

I bought mine back in may as well. I used it a lot the first few weeks, but soon got tired of using the browser to read my email. Ended up buying a Samsung Tab 10.1 and use it as my "main" tablet at the moment. I miss the cleverness of the QNX OS, though. Android is far clunkier to operate and also a lot less refined. The GUI often stutters and lags, making the feeling of operating it far from the PB.

-KJ

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by jevel View Post
    Actually, the one port you see under there is an HDMI port.

How do you feel about the PlayBook after a few months of use?

I bought mine back in may as well. I used it a lot the first few weeks, but soon got tired of using the browser to read my email. Ended up buying a Samsung Tab 10.1 and use it as my "main" tablet at the moment. I miss the cleverness of the QNX OS, though. Android is far clunkier to operate and also a lot less refined. The GUI often stutters and lags, making the feeling of operating it far from the PB.

-KJ
    Thank you for the comment about the HDMI port, I should have corrected that . So how do I feel about the PlayBook now? I am still using it, I really like the GUI it is very natural to use, I often find myself trying to swipe up on my wife's IPad and get annoyed because it does not work . I still don't like typing so much on the on screen keyboard, but then I don't like that on any device, I suppose it is something I have to get used too. The selection capabilities on the IPad are nicer to use, but it is not a game changer. As far as native e-mail is concerned it does not really bother me, I have 2 BB Torches ATM (one on BES and one BIS) so they receive all my e-mails, I then have the bridge turned on, so that works for me, the latest updates have speeded up Bridge considerably. With that and using PC’s I think I have more than enough access to e-mail, I suppose this is what RIM were aiming at. I can see that if you do not have a smartphone, or you don’t have a blackberry then having a native e-mail application is a requirement and RIM should have considered that rather than just aiming at BB owners. The size is great in that I always have it with me, and have used it to take photos, and videos when I don’t have a camera with me, much better quality than the Ipad, and better than the phone plus you don’t look so silly holding it up to take a photo as you would with the larger IPad . The browser is pretty good and reasonably fast. I only have the 16 Gb version, I think I would have preferred a 32 Gb, especially as the camera is so good, I just have to remember to remove pictures to my computer, having expandable memory would have been nice. Like I said in another post I cannot understand why the IPad only has a maximum of 64 Gb. When my IPod dies on me I would have liked to replace it with an IPad to handle my music, but the disk is not big enough!
    On the whole I feel the RIM has got it right, although there need to be updates like auto-correct on spelling, and a few other minor annoyances, but at least it had useful functions and software available to it out of the box, plus I have found all the Apps that I need or require, which did not cost too much, as opposed to Apple that has so many Apps available, but a pretty blank slate out of the box, for a device that was close to $1000 I would have expected a cloth to clean the screen, a cover thrown in and at least some basic apps like office docs. One thing I find truly useful about the PlayBook is the multi-tasking capability, definitely far better than IPad! So the size which I thought was something that would stop me buying it, actually allows me to have it with me all the time, far more useful, the MiFi I bought gives me WiFi cheaply and fast, plus cuts down my data plan for the US BB I have, bridging gives me the option to check/reply to e-mails, open pdf attachments, unzip files (using the file manager, which should have been included), and attach pictures and documents to e-mails, which would be a lot more difficult with the phone. So it often saves me opening my PC and carrying a PC with me. It does not replace the PC, but it has become a useful tool/toy which I enjoy using and doesn’t get left at home on the coffee table. Overall I think the majority of negative reviews are unfair, if I was asked to choose between a 64 Gb PlayBook and a 64 Gb IPad2 today I would choose the PlayBook. If Apple bring out a 180 Gb IPad in the future and I was given the same choice then I would have more of a problem since I would want to replace my IPod, and have the ITunes option for my music would be something that would be difficult to turn down. On the whole I would prefer an IPod Touch with the 180 Gb disk, and still get the PlayBook . I hope that RIM does continue to update it, and stay committed QNX is a great OS and could end up being the game changer.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast