I haven't really used my PlayBook for a while, and just found it in a ... BlackBerry Playbook forum

jevel no está en línea Stack level 1

BlackBerry PlayBook - a dead platform?

Advertisement

I haven't really used my PlayBook for a while, and just found it in a drawer the other day. Since I expected v. 2.0 to be released by now, I fired it up to have a look.

To my surprise I found an update, but still 1.x something. What is this all about?

Still no native calendar and email? I cannot even start to understand what the people in charge of this platform is thinking... You have to provide the users basic functionality now, or there soon will be no users left!

It is sad to see such a genuinely fine piece of software as the OS really is, coupled with hardware that runs better than any other tablet on the market today, only to see that the thing is willingly flawed. I'd choose the PlayBook any day over my Android based tablets. Its much more intuitive GUI and the sheer speed gives it a much better feel. I only need my day to day apps.

As Android now moves on to Ice Cream Sandwich and apple has entered the era of the cloud, RIM really has to get up to speed, or there will be noone to care what they do anymore.

-KJ

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    If you have a blackberry, then bridge works brilliantly with it. It is not a dead platform, or at least there are a lot of us out here that like it, and find it really useful. Vs 2.0 is coming out in February, yes it's annoying that we have to wait, but maybe just maybe they are making sure everything works.
    It has been rooted as well and apparently you can run a USB (with a dongle conversion standard to mini) straight on the Playbook. I hope RIM will take note of this as it would be really useful to have as an option.

I carry the PlayBook with me, use it as a supliment to my notebook computer, is great for Bridge to work e-mails, and Bridges for all my personal e-mails, or of course I can always check through the browser, did I mention Flash is still supported on the PlayBook? Great for quick edits of documents and spreadsheets, plus viewing movies and presentation on the large flat screen monitors using the HDMI works well.
    I really like swiping to close programs and being able to run several programs at the same time, plus I have no problem with the speed, the only thing that really bugs me is no auto correct yet, once they have this I will be really happy with it. I use SugarSync to sync files to my desktop, my wifes IPad2, my daughters IPad, her Android, and my work PC, works fine, can that be done with the Cloud, plus if you don't want massive storage its free!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

OriginalLucy no está en línea Stack level 3
    I truly hope it's not a dead platform. I just purchased a 32gb during the price drop and it just arrived today. What a beautiful, responsive display. I am looking forward to learning how to use it to it's fullest. The video on it is incredible. I am not buying the rumours of it being dead.

I know bridge works, but forcing users to use that is not a good move. It means that the Playbook is really not useful for those that do not have a BB, effectively limiting the number of users on the platform.

This again means that the platform will not be as attractive for developers, and again not as attractive for users. This is a negative spiral.

Don't misinterpret what I am saying here; I really like the unit and the OS, but after eight months in the market I'd expect more apps and functionality to be available for it.

-KJ

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalLucy View Post
    I am not buying the rumours of it being dead.
    Congrats with your new toy. (As that's what it is to us without a BB phone... ) I haven't seen any rumors of the platform being dead just yet, just voicing my concerns. I really hope they are able to get things sorted and release a v. 2 which will make developers start making more apps available to it.

-KJ

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I understand what you are saying, but hopefully vs 2 of the software will be released in February, however when it is released the tech press will say it is one year to late and that the hardware is too slow. When the Playbook was first announced there was very little positive press for it. I believe the camera and video is better than the IPad, plus it was useful out of the box without the necessity to buy additional Apps for word processing or spreadsheets unlike the IPad. I found it very annoying that all the IPad had was ITunes email and a browser when I bought it for my wife.

The tech press love Apple and don't see how the consumer is being played, every year there is a slightly new vs released, and the press say how it is so marvelous you must rush out and buy, the IPad 3 is coming out in the 1st quarter of 2012, look at the IPhone new one every year the first one didn't have 3G and the latest doesn't have 4G but that's ok because it's Apple and the IPhone 5 will have it

Will the PlayBook survive, if the tech press has its way no, but it will have access to Android Apps, it will have the same OS as the new phones which is a great OS! Plus it still is probably the most secure device out there even with the jailbreak. Do I regret getting one rather than an IPad, having seen my wife's IPad2 and how much it is used, no, I use the Playbook daily, and often use it for pictures instead of my SLR, I would like to have the option to plug a USB stick in, but apart from that I am happy with it

I am also rather surprised at the lack of articles in the tech press on other platforms (Android, Windows Tablets). I know there are a lot out there, but the majority of articles are about the IPad2 and upcomig IPad3. Of course the Samsung Galaxy Tab has been in the news a lot, but only because of the Patent Battles. So is it any wonder that the IPad sells more units, whilst advertising isn't everything if you are bombarded enough with how a product beats out everything else you end up wanting it, or your children are demanding it.
    Last edited by dushdavj; 12-14-2011 at 05:38 PM.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2