Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Hi everyone! I've heard BlackBerry10 was in the works, but haven't heard anything since the ... BlackBerry Playbook forum

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59

BlackBerry10 for PlayBook

Advertisement

Hi everyone!
    I've heard BlackBerry10 was in the works, but haven't heard anything since the launch- does anybody have an update on this? I'm pretty hyped about this!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    Thanks for the response- what I was actually looking for information on is a BlackBerry10 OS update for the PlayBook, which I heard is on the way, and which was confirmed by BlackBerry at the BB10 launch as being on the way. I just haven't heard anything since and was wondering if anyboby here had any info on it...

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Not that I´ve heard of. Not yet. the minute it pops up we´ll let you know.
    Dave, any pointers here?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well there has just been an update for the Playbook, but not BB10. When they were talking about the release of the Z10 BB10 for the Playbook was meant to follow in couple of months. I haven't heard anything certain though.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    So they have announced BB10 will not come to the Playbook, because it will not run on the hardware. Is this a big issue? For me personally the way I use the Playbook no, however for BB I believe it is for the the following reasons:

From Day 1 BB had been promising an upgrade to BB10, some people purchased the Playbook for BB10
    A lot of APPS are not being developed for the Playbook, when BB10 came out everything is being developed for it.
    Android on the Playbook is a really old version and will remain so, so a lot of the Android ported Apps will probably not work
    There have been no OS updates for the playbook for a while, now it will probably stop being updated.
    The Browser is not as good as the one on BB10, and now never will be.
    Those people that are in the market for a tablet will no longer even consider the Playbook

Again as I stated above it does what I need it to, but my next tablet is likely to be an Android or Windows tablet, I love the way the IPAD looks and some things about it, but I still do not like the way that they tie you down to using ITunes for file transfers, I like connecting to the PC and opening the files on the PlayBook.

This will also have an affect on my purchase decision for my next phone, so if this is the case with a BB fan, how will this affect those on the fence? Does this hurt BB I think so.

The last but not least thing that really worries me is the statement from BB is that the tablet is dead and will not be around in 5 years time, seriously? Admittedly he is thinking that Phablets will be the thing of the future, in my mind while Phablets will be popular I still think that tablets in one form or another will remain, just because larger screens are still important.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I said almost as much on my What I Say, especially regarding apps . And I got lambasted by the BB crowd. Now the shoe is on the other foot.
    Damn pitiful.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Absolutely true Del, but you had already left BB, I am still with them, plus I am still using the Playbook and will continue to do so for the time being as it does have all the Apps I require at the moment, my comment was more addressing how upset a number of people I had spoken with. When it is time to replace it I will not buy a Phablet, nor would I buy an updated PlayBook, the Ipad is tempting as I could easily move my music off the IPod to it, but as mentioned above compatibility is an issue.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You should consider Windows, I think. You know as well that Android is mostly compatible with everything.
    I prefer the iPad. Specifically the Mini with LTE/3G, even though iTunes is restrictive and compatibility is an issue.
    It's a shame that BB has taken a decision that leaves their faithful followers in a quandary. It's another step to alienate the client base they have. Once a client leaves it's extremely difficult to get them back. It's like that in any type of business.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    When it is time to replace the Playbook the Windows model will be high on the list!

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    The Playbook is dead. RIM is not looking to update the playbook to BB10. I regret buying it now.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I don't regret buying the Playbook, it is still working I plug it into the TV to watch movies and bridge the BB to act as a remote. Add to that it works well as a business tool. Being able to access the files easily has a major advantage.

I was playing with the Windows Tablet Pro it was really impressive, add to that it has a USB3 port.

I also have the Surface Pro. Love it every time I use it. The only bad thing i have to say about it is it only has 1 usb 3.0, and no hdmi display port. You have to buy the adapter for 40 bucs if you want to connect it to a monitor.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    Got the Playbook on launch day. I was on my way to Indianapolis to have my cancer surgery and I was still putting the playbook high on my list of wants, now it sits. Got it out a month or so ago hoping BB10 might be coming our way and since they have dropped the idea it's back to sitting. Might have used it if ATT would have let us tether like it was suppose to do.
    Surface pro looks like a nice devise just a little too rich for my blood. Now if I could get my $500 back for the playbook maybe I'd buy

Yeah; the playbook was my #1 tablet then the surface pro hit the market. It was what I was looking for. Despite what they say about windos 8 tablets, I find them having exactly what I need for my day to day work, and personal life. I just want a bigger badder surface pro. I still have my playbook holding on hope that rim will send bb10 to it. #3901

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast