Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG

Hello we just get our playbook I heard it is possible to use android apps ... BlackBerry Playbook forum

smis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    OU812

android

Advertisement

Hello we just get our playbook I heard it is possible to use android apps on it, is it now or when the BB10 be released?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I believe so. And you don't need BB10 to get started. I'm sure our in house expert Dave will get back to you soon with more details. Congrats on your new acquisition.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    You don't have to wait for BB10 to run Android Apps on the Playbook, in fact quite a few of the Apps in Appworld are from Android. You can however run a lot of Android Apps by sideloading them from your PC

Here is an excellent article from N4BB on how to do this.

http://n4bb.com/side-load-android-ap...erry-playbook/

Enjoy the Playbook its a great little tablet.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

smis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    OU812
    Ok thanks, will the BB10 be available to all playbooks and will it have android built in?
    Once you go BlackBerry you never go back!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I know there is talk of a easier method of running Android Apps, but I am not sure what it will look like as I am not a developer. I have seen on the forums that BB10 does run certain Android Apps, but again they may need to be tweaked for screen size etc. I don't run Android Apps on my PlayBook using the sideloading option so cannot really make a comment on it, however some developers just port their Android apps directly into the Android player and sell them on Appworld which has opened up a lot more apps to the PlayBook. When looking at Apps I would like to see a comment stating that the app is either a native Blackberry one or an Android one that runs in the Android player, in order to have the option to purchase or not. The good thing is, is that RIM has made it a lot easier to write applications and to port them to BB10 then before so the number of Applications available is getting greater and greater everyday. They are also trying hard to get some of the big names on board for the launch.

It is goign to be an interesting year!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    There are still rumors about BB10 on the Playbook however the Playbook may have enough memory to or processor. Speed to run it. So we may be better off staying on the current OS. I also wonder if going to BB10 may be a bit like going from Windows 7 with Windows 8

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SGH-T999 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Welcome Steve. I'm not sure, but our Playbook users will certainly let you know.
    Roger where is the question?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    There are still rumors about BB10 on the Playbook however the Playbook may have enough memory to or processor. Speed to run it. So we may be better off staying on the current OS. I also wonder if going to BB10 may be a bit like going from Windows 7 with Windows 8
    The change to BB10 is more radical. The difference between WP7 and WP8 is an improvement.
    BB10 is completely new. Both UI and functions.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Roger where is the question?
    Turns out our friend was a spammer, so he was done away with.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    The change to BB10 is more radical. The difference between WP7 and WP8 is an improvement.
    BB10 is completely new. Both UI and functions.
    I am not sure the difference between OS 2.1 on the Playbook and OS 10.1 on the phones is that different. Yes there are major differences to the BB phone OS up to vs 7, but the PlayBook has similar swipe functions, ability to run Android Apps and I believe was the precursor (test ground) for OS 10