Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG

I have a problem with my wife's IPad2. Basically the Ipad is linked to I ... Apple iPad forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Switching computer problems with IPad

Advertisement

I have a problem with my wife's IPad2. Basically the Ipad is linked to I tunes on an old computer that died. Now I want to update some of the music which is on the new computer, ITunes wants to completely wipe the Ipad and reload it. While this is no problem on the Ipods I am concerned that she will lose her Apps and data on the Ipad when it does the wipe. So how can I fix this. Is there a way to back up the Apps and data then do the wipe then restore it all?
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A5376e Safari/8536.25)

She has an Apple ID. Once she signs in to iTunes on the new computer she will have access to all her app history. Same with the AppStore on the iPad itself if it does wipe the device.

Then, if you have the same music in iTunes on the new PC when you go to sync the iPad with the new PC you shouldn't lose anything.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Thank you for the reply, that sounds reasonable, it would be good if all it wiped was the music, since that is all I really want to sync, but I don't think it gives that option. The other problem is does it wipe the data as well as software I am assuming it does, which sort of leaves a problem in that there is one app my wife uses that does not allow backups of its database. Everything else I can backup, but this one is a pain. Is there any way I can get the database off of the IPad and then put it back. Normally one could do it through ITunes but in this case it is not possible. Are there any Apps I can buy or that are recommended for doing this? She can buy Apps on the IPad.

I don't think she would even care if she could put new music onto the IPad. For example she has bought some songs from another source which I can easily put into ITunes on the computer, but it wont let me put it onto the IPad. I find this lock down really frustrating
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A5376e Safari/8536.25)

You should install iTunes on the new PC and then change the preferences to NOT automatically sync when connected. Then once you connect the device you can click on it and change the settings for what gets synced and what doesn't.

I'm WAP otherwise I'd give you more details.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Unfortunately I tried that, I tend to have control over what gets synced as I worry about anything automatic. The trouble is with this is that ITunes just states the IPad is not registered with this computer if I want to do anything it states that it will wipe the device then register it with the computer. Very very annoying especially as the old computer mother board died before I could do anything.

Yes but at least you can turn off the automatic sync when you connect.
    dushdavj likes this.