My 8 year old PC died yesterday! What is good to replace? ipad (being the ... Apple iPad forum

desiman no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Shopping - Ipad or Laptop / PC

Advertisement

My 8 year old PC died yesterday!

What is good to replace? ipad (being the latest hype!), or PC / Laptop. Pricewise it seems all of them are similar as I have compared.

Any advice will be appreciated.

myblackberyiscool no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm trying to decide on the same thiing

I don't know If I should get a laptop or PC.
    I thought of getting a PC so I could have 3 monitors, dual monitors.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    it depends on what you looking to accomplish- as far as i know you cant use the ipad to print any documents
    if you are looking to just browse the internet then i would go with the ipad (getting one for my bday)
    but if you are looking to accomplish more than that i would go with a laptop/pc
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Um, yes you can use iPad to print images, or emails. Also you can do this with iPod Touch.

I have done it before!

OriginalLucy no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, if you want/need a computer, then get a laptop. If you want a flashy piece of bling to surf the net, then the ipad is the way to go. That is just my 2 cents tho'. The iPad isn't really a computer, it is just a way to surf and spend time on the net.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    Thnx for clarifying- I wasn't sure if it was possible or not...
    But like ^ said, if you only want to surf the net then ipad is the way to go

The way to print images, documents, anything from your iPod.
    First, your iPod, iPad, iPhone has to be jail broken.
    Then you need to download Cydia, and Installous
    Then find an app called "Print Magic "...look for it on Cydia...

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I agree it depends on what you need it for. The Ipad does not have a USB port or CD drive, so you are tied to WIFI connectivity. If you have a home computer with. I don't think this should not be your only system

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    You can print from the iPad without needing to Jail Break. The iPad App I use is named Print Magic HD. There are several Apps I just chose this one. It prints via WiFi so the printer needs to be on the same Network. Normally not an issue since we normally print to a printer close by that makes sense. The App to run a print test before downloading the PM HD App is free to download. It works well, you can print anything.

The iPad is not really a Laptop or Desktop replacement, sure you could make it that but I don't think that's the best choice. The iPad is 100% consumtion device. Read, watch, listen to, surf etc. It's a light to medium productivity device.

It's easy to use and fast to get to or interact with. The screen is great and typing is nice. The iPad needs a case or you will damage it because it's all screen. No case is probably fine around a home but when out and about you need a case.

It's not just a big iPod Touch and you will find that out after using it for an hour or so. The larger screen changes everything. The battery last ever bit of 10 hours for me it's been 12 or more. It sips the battery.

It's much more handy than any laptop or desktop simply b/c you can pick it up and go right to things you want to do and don't have to open any lid or set at any desk or table. You can literally grab it walk away and while walking about use it very easy.

If the laptops your looking at or a desktop for that matter are in the same price range as the iPad I would choose the iPad any day but if you looking at a more expensive and powerful laptop or desktop then that is different. The iPad does not compare to top end laptops or desktops.

When Andriod makes it to the Tablet devices the Net Books are all but gone and a thing of the past. They are already considered a disposable device now.

Sorry 4 typos, I typed this on my iPad

Last edited by srl7741; 06-11-2010 at 01:53 PM.

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    iPad is awesome and I love mine to death. But it's not a full PC/Mac it won't have all the functions of a normal computer.
    For that reason I would say get a real computer. Then get an iPad after lol
    Sent from my iPad

Kimberlee no está en línea Stack level 3
    Is there anyway to get flash working on the iPad? Without flash I don't know if it's worth buying?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    There are devs working on getting Flash working but it will take some time to get it smooth. If you are looking to replace a PC or a a Mac with the iPad you are going to be sorely disappointed. It is a great device that fits in just where apple wanted it to. Like SRL said it can handle light to medium productivity but falls short of a full computer experience. It is absolutely the best device to browse the Internet,read emails and do some light work. It will not replace the laptop or desktop computer because that was not what it was designed for. If you want to replace your laptop get another laptop. Plenty of great choices for less money than a iPad. If you use your computer for storing files,browsing, and the normal day to day things that aren't business related i would get a Mac. If you need compatibility with work and and various other systems then a PC is the way to go. The iPad isn't going to replace to PC, wasn't designed to. If you need a pc get one, if all you do is check emails and browse the web the get a iPad.