I've had my iPad a few weeks now and since I have a laptop & ... Apple iPad forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question Problems Charging iPad 3

Advertisement

I've had my iPad a few weeks now and since I have a laptop & android device which I use heavily for business purposes, I decided I will only be using the iPad for leisure activities such as playing games, reading etc. But I've been a little frustrated with it's battery life, which at first I didn't know how to conserve, so it wouldn't even last a day. After a few days I learned that closing out apps, turning off WiFi, and disconnecting email etc. made a huge difference. These are all things I am now in the habit of doing, as well as I put it on it's charger when I am not using it. But I am still wondering how I can take it places, make use of the WiFi etc. without draining the battery in a matter of a few hours.

I have tried....
    A USB port on my laptop (2.5 years old), but the iPad displays "Not Charging" in the upper right corner and actually seems to drain faster if left plugged in.

A car charger, but it causes the car stereo speakers to produce nothing but static, so it doesn't get used.

A Mophie Juice Pack Powerstation ($80 portable charger), which is a complete waste of money IMHO. It takes 3-4 hours to charge the Powerstation which the iPad drains in 1-1.5 hours and only gains a 24% charge (a far cry from what Verizon claims). The charger was used twice with the same results both times, so it was immediately returned.

Lastly, I have the wall charger which is my only means of charging it at this point, and it seems to take forever!

Are there any other charging options when it comes to the iPad 3?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions when it comes to conserving battery?

Thanks in advance to all who reply, I really appreciate the help!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Geez Java, there's something drastically wrong there somewhere. An iPad should give you enough juice in one charge to last you a couple of days. If it's giving you a few hours then there's something very wrong with it. That's the first problem. The static coming from your car speakers. This shouldn't happen at all. Again, something is awry.
    It's a given your PC usb will not charge the iPad.
    I would question Apple about this, seriously.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    No. The iPad 3 is slow to charge and doesn't have half the battery life of my iPad 1. Better graphics, bigger processor, faster, equals not so great battery life. How you described yours is exactly how mine is.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Chokem my daughter has the iPad 3. She uses it quite a bit, and a charge lasts her two days. Granted she´s not into games and that. But reading a lot, using the internet continuously almost (Facebook etc) and the Docs To Go app. Not a few hours like Java´s...

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    All I know is under heavy usage, the battery life on a full charge on a 3 is only about half as good as my 1 was, and takes twice as long to charge. Your results may vary, depending on what country you live in. Remember, our electricity over here is not as strong as yours Del. ;-)
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    If you say so. Not as cheap either. And it discharges better too.

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Thanks Delfim & Chokem for the responses, and my apologies for my delay in replying!

I don't use internet a whole lot, but I do play games A LOT. So it would seem that the battery lasting only a day or so would be fairly normal, depending on how much I am playing on any given day.

What I do not get though... how is it that I get push notifications from games when my tablet is NOT connected to WiFi?

Thanks again!!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Charging through USB will depend on the charging unit used. Some car chargers will not charge a tablet, neither will some USB's plugged into a computer despite the fact it will charge a phone. For example the Apple charger outputs 2000mA whereas some plugs will only output 500mA or less which may not be enough to power the IPad. My wife has an IPad2 which seems to last forever and she is constantly on WiFi, whereas my daughter uses an IPad4 and is playing games all the time, so tends to charge every day using the supplied charger.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2