Okay, so I'm considering getting an iPad. Has to be an iPad because of a ... Apple iPad forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Can iPad Replace Laptop?

Advertisement

Okay, so I'm considering getting an iPad. Has to be an iPad because of a business venture I've embarked upon, otherwise I'd look at other platforms as well.

My question is this......is the device robust enough that I could replace my laptop with it?

I would need to send documents via e-mail, print documents, stuff like that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    probably...would you need a USB or disk drive?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Possibly, yeah.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    then no....get a MacBook Pro

lol. If I could get away with it, I was going to give my laptop to my wife. Probably have to keep it, though.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Roger, I've done setup for a woman at church, and she uses hers for just that. Wireless printer works very well with it.
    She swears by it.

BTW, may be able to get you a refurbished iPad 1 for 250 if you don't want to spend a lot. Friend bought one and doesn't use.

Thanks, Jay. I'll letcha know.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Wireless sync would allow you to transfer files once home. There's no dongle for USB file transfer?

Dunno. I see Glenn lurking. You have a pad, don'tcha, G?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I know you can print from one. Emails are good. I've never tried, but I don't think you can sync your phone with one via itunes, I could be wrong though. I thought about selling my laptop also, but I decided to keep it. I think a combo of the two is the way to go, at least for me. Not sure if I would do financial transactions on any tablet though.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    wut?
    i'd be willing to bet you could swing it rog.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I think you would find it frustrating, i did trying to use the spreadsheet. A keyboard would help, which there are a few out there, you can also get WiFi disk drives to expand the storage and if course SugarSync works great with it, and allows you to sync with other platforms

I still think Notebooks are necessary because of their speed flexability, and capabilities, the Ipad, Playbook, or whatever platform are a supplement not a replacement.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Okay, so I'm considering getting an iPad. Has to be an iPad because of a business venture I've embarked upon, otherwise I'd look at other platforms as well.

My question is this......is the device robust enough that I could replace my laptop with it?

I would need to send documents via e-mail, print documents, stuff like that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    If all you're doing is emailing and sending documents the yes. If you're going to need it for spreadsheets it's ok. I use numbers on my MBP and if I need them on my iPad it's easy to get them there and editing is great but creating them is just not for me.

I believe you're using sugersync, right. Biggest thing is to get Goodreader. It handles all doc and will be your file system. You'll be able to sync your accounts through it so you can upload and download right from Goodreader. If that's all you're doping then yes, leave the laptop at home.

Let me know of any questions and we'll get you going.

Also, is this business already upo and running? Or will it be next year? You need to think about taxes, this year you should be able to write 100% off. I'm not sure if you'll be able to do that next year. If you're up and running then buy before the end of the year so you an get the maximum deduction.
    Last edited by BHP77; 12-09-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks for the replies, guys.