Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's been an interesting 2 weeks with the new Apple iPad. The iPad is first ... Apple iPad forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Apple iPad-Wifi Review

Advertisement

It's been an interesting 2 weeks with the new Apple iPad. The iPad is first and foremost a content consumption device. Im using the 64Gb WiFi Model and I currently have 29 Apps installed along with 5 Movies, 1247 Pictures/Albums and still have 49.9 GB of space left.

I mention this to give you an idea of which model may fit your needs. They come in 16GB, 32GB and of course 64GB models. Today the 3G models began shipping and are to be delivered on April 30th to those who ordered the 3G models. I chose the WiFi only Model because I don't have 3G unless I travel down the road a few miles and planned on using it most of the time in my house which would utilize WiFi.

Content Consumption:
    It does all this almost perfect and it's in your face while doing it. I don't use a keyboard with it, i've been just using the on-screen keybord. It surprised me how well it works and I'm sure if I hooked up my BT keyboard I may like it but then it would tie me to a table or desk and that's not what I want.

I'm not sure it can totally replace a Laptop or Desktop. Those two items are still work horses compared to the iPad. The iPad can certainly do light productivity but nothing like editing music or videos. Maybe in the next versions with the help of Apps but right now I don't think it's good for that.

It's awesome for reading, watching and surfing. It's actually better than I thought it would be. There are only about 3500 Apps at the moment and that is another down side. Waiting for certain Apps to become available sucks. I can't believe I wrote that two weeks old and ONLY 3500 Apps. My point is we are spoiled by Apps and you don't think about it till they are not available after having used them for so long.

Make no mistake iPhone Apps on the iPad are horrible and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They were made for a smaller screen and when you blow them up to the iPad screen size they look terrible.

You will also probably find you use an iPad differently than a Phone or Laptop. It really does fit in the middle for the most part. It's easy to use and can go anywhere with you real easy. It's like a piece of paper that is heavy. If you take it out of the home you will need a case. If you don't get a case you will most likely break it.
    The iPad is all screen and in order to use it with one hand you will have to be a person with large hands.

The Apps that are available for the iPad a pretty darn nice. Netflix, ABC-TV, Yellow Pages, Magazines, Games and Books are all very nice. Much better than I expected. The graphics are nice and smooth like water or hot butter.
    The screen movement and touch is nice. Not all Touch screens are equal and the iPad is nice.

Apple claims 10 hours from the battery and I will tell you for certain it will go much longer than 10 hours. Mine went 3 days before having to charge it. So it may be they are claiming 10 hours of continual use watching movies or something I'm not sure. The battery is every bit of what they claim. The iPad sips the battery and you will be able to get through a full day easy.

The screen is a finger print magnet. After only a few hours it will be nasty-finger printy and you can't tell till you put it to sleep and see the dark screen. (not a big deal tho).

I have been able to easily use it without missing my Laptop or Desktop but it's like I said above I don't think it's a replacement for either. Maybe someday but not before the Apps mature. For example you can't print from it. A few Apps claim you can but I have not used them to test it out yet.

GoodReader App allows you to pretty much view/read/use any file type you want on the iPad and it's a 99 cent App. Well worth the money.

Over all I really do like the iPad but I also have other devices close by knowing I'm not honestly limited and could turn to the Laptop or Desktop if I needed to in a pinch.

The iPad would also be great for older people (seniors) who don't know how to use a PC because it's that easy to use and break proof (viruses, wrong clicks, overwhelming screen, etc)
    So Seniors could get a lot of use as with the real young. There is no confusion how to use it or what to do. The Touch Screen and Apps guide the user making it easy to use. I think most Touch Screens do this and that's why they are so popular. You just can't mess it up so those who don't know anything about technology would be the perfect person for an iPad.

When Apple lets 4.0 fly the iPad will also really improve b/c of multi-tasking. I guess using the word multi-tasking is debatable but you know what I mean. It will be a nice feature which will help the Pad out. There certainly is a need to run several things at a time including any 3rd party Apps. Pandora and Skype are two good examples.

In my opinion it's an awesome content consumption device and light productivity device. Light as in text, email, etc. I don't think you would want to write a book on it without a real keyboard.

I normally don't adapt or buy first generation devices but this time I'm glad I did. Yes it's first generations but in many ways it's not. It's 3rd generation with it's OS and I knew how to use it because I've been using an iPhone for awhile. A person who has been using any Touch Screen will like the iPad

For those interested in the iPad I hope this helps give you a picture of how it really works and where it fits in your daily needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by srl7741; 04-20-2010 at 02:15 PM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I must admit that the iPad is priced right. Starting at $499 is pretty amazing. I hope this will be the case for the 2nd gen iPad. Likely?

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Thats looks strangely familiar,LOL. Good write up man. Yea, it did help. I think that i wil hold off a little longer or at least until the threats from my fiancée' die down.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    The ipad is priced right- i had initially thought it was going to be priced in the 800-900 area- im still debating on getting one, primarily because i want it to have "multi-task" and just like you srl, i dont see the ipad replacing a notebook or desktop anytime soon
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Good write up, I am thinking of buying one for my wife, but she wants to be able to use it on the road so I think I will either have to buy the 3G option or even go for buying a Mifi unit connected to Sprint or Verizon modem. Certainly looks like a useful unit, outshines the Kindle

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Ive been tossing around the idea of a MiFi device also. What I'm running in to is the lack of battery life in the current generation of MiFi devices. Sprints will only get 4 hours and Verizons is not better.

I've held off in getting a 3G-iPad thinking there would be a better way but now I'm not so sure. Plus with a MiFi device a person is stuck in a contract again and with the 3G-iPad your not. You can go month by month if you wish.

So at the moment I'm stuck in a holding pattern trying to decide. If I were in a city with 4G then I think I would go that route even with the poor battery but I'm not and most likely won't see 4G for another year.

So far my favorite iPad Apps are these: (I will add links later)

NetFlix
    ABC-TV
    TwiT-TV
    NewsRack
    GoodReader
    1Password
    TWC Max+
    iBooks
    Time Magazine
    Amazon
    Instapaper Pro
    Last edited by srl7741; 04-27-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added iTunes Links

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Some very good points especially the contract and battery life for the 4G Mifi. I don't want to get tied into any more long term cell phone contracts, so 3G IPad sounds attractive.

I wonder if you travel overseas or even US to Canada then go online using 3G if it will go through ATT or a local contract provider?

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Another week has gone by and I still did not purchase a MiFi Device yet. My gut tells me the 3G iPad is still the way to go. The only question I still have is will the 3G Chipset in the iPad work properly with AT&T. I'm sure it will but as with any new first generation device their is a chance of mishaps. I almost want to wait a week or so after it's released to see what users are saying about the service.

3G4Gexpert no está en línea Stack level 1
    The 3G version of the iPad will be locked to AT&T's network, which doesn't even compare to the 3G coverage that Verizon has. iPad 3G owners would have to pay $30/mo for a data plan that can only be used on the iPad.

I would recommend getting a Verizon MiFi, which will provide better 3G coverage, on a more reliable 3G network. Not to mention you can connect up to 5 devices at a time to the MiFi.

3Gstore just announced a No Contract MiFi Option for iPad for only $49.95/mo

3gstore.com/lease

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Thanks for the MiFi update. 3G is one thing that is very dependent on each areas unique coverage issues. Some have great Verizon coverage while others don't. The same applies to any carrier. I've used big V in my area and it's not that great. Sprint and AT&T have it beat.

I like the idea of the MiFi device tho and at this point the only thing holding me back is the battery life. So that takes a user back to the iPad + 3G. The battery life is much greater than any MiFi device.

So in the end it's a delicate balance between the choices and all the factors need to be considered before going one way or another

I think the MiFi is probably the best way to go but it's dependent on you coverage area and important to know the battery life is not the best. If you are lucky and can get 4G it's a little easier to make the call. 4G wins

4G MiFi =

Here is another reason I like the MiFi idea besides what 3G4G mentioned above.

Link

It does not limit you like AT&T likes to do.
    Last edited by srl7741; 04-30-2010 at 08:54 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    That makes this decision easier for me. I will ask for the WiFi + 3G model when I get mine. Not sure if 32 or 64 GB is overkill for space though.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm off on the hunt for a MiFi today. I'm still on the fence as of right now. Let's see who can influence me today and bring me down off the fence.

All I want is a reliable, constant connection with reasonable battery life. I'm not hard to please am I?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    All these comments are making me drool ! Srl, one question - can You use the iPad for making new Microsoft Office documents, or edit the docs on the fly ? I imagine we need a program for that, like Quickoffíce, or lately Docs to Go. Is this possible ? The question regarding 3G or WiFi is mot a problem, but being able to sit anywhere and receive, edit and deliver doccuments is a must have for me.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    GoodReader App (listed above) is a 99 cent App and well worth the money. It's allows for the iPad to use most popular formats. I have not tried to use a "Word" Doc just yet but I can give it a try and see how it works.

All you have to do is "Drag & Drop" any documents you want from a desktop into iTunes and it will be shared in any Apps that have File Sharing enabled.
    There is also the "Pages" App or "Numbers" App for creating on the iPad Pages = MS Word and Numbers = MS Excel. They are specifically designed for the Touch Screen and work very well.

I've been so busy consuming that I have not taken the time to edit. So I will have to get back to you on that one.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ Thanks I will keep on coming back to this thread to pick up info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast