Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have seen some theme makers lately selling themes, using icons from different sources that ... Free BlackBerry Themes forum

Maxx730 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31bf8ee1

Selling Themes?

Advertisement

I have seen some theme makers lately selling themes, using icons from different sources that I know they didnt make. My question is, are they allowed to make a profit off of something that they didnt make? Any help with this would be appreciated...

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro
    No, they are not allowed to sell themes with those icons. I guess the best way to put it is that they haven't been caught yet by the owners/creators of the icons. Some icons I have ran across are royalty-free though.

I wont sell a theme unless the icons are A) royalty-free or B) I actually purchased them for commercial use. Unfortunately some have discovered a way to extract icons from themes, which is something we all have to worry about now.

PIN/ID
    31bf8ee1
    thats what i thought, i was gonna try selling themes but i was using other people's icons and i didnt think i was allowed to legally

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx730 View Post
    thats what i thought, i was gonna try selling themes but i was using other people's icons and i didnt think i was allowed to legally
    To be honest....selling themes is kinda a waste of time and money....I mean you have to set up a Paypal or eCommerce site.....pay for the your website fees...etc etc.....

and all for maybe 5 sales a month at $5-10 each theme.....

Most people will just come here and get the free themes that people make......
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

PIN/ID
    31bf8ee1
    well i have the website, and the paypal doesnt cost anything but i gues

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by ice44 View Post
    To be honest....selling themes is kinda a waste of time and money....I mean you have to set up a Paypal or eCommerce site.....pay for the your website fees...etc etc.....

and all for maybe 5 sales a month at $5-10 each theme.....

Most people will just come here and get the free themes that people make......

I disagree! I know Pinstack is Big, but there is still a whole lot of folks that just don't know about pinstack. I have Themes for sale on my Theme Site, and I don't expect anyone from pinstack to purchase them, because most of them were featured here in one version for free. But they've actually been selling like hotcakes, and I've only recently began selling posting maybe nine or ten themes for Sale and I've averaged about 3 - 5 sales a day for the past few weeks.

I have "online order emails' coming in several times a day, overnight while I'm sleeping. Just remember this is the World Wide Web; and they are being purchased from all over the Globe.

Of course there is a market, you have Sites like, Bplay, that specialize in selling Themes. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not quitting my day job, but it is nice when I here that special email ringtone. So the market is there on the WWW.

About the Icon issue, MrRadio is correct and there are plenty of Royalty Free / Stock Icons. There are also plenty of Icons that one can purchse and than customise them for BBs.
    Last edited by DjSmooth; 11-07-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx730 View Post
    well i have the website, and the paypal doesnt cost anything but i gues
    Why arent you a themes expert? You do great work.

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post

I have "online order emails' coming in several times a day, overnight while I'm sleeping. Just remember this is the World Wide Web; and they are being purchased from all over the Globe.
    Which is why I need to get on it

frank89bb no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyMrRadio View Post
    No, they are not allowed to sell themes with those icons. I guess the best way to put it is that they haven't been caught yet by the owners/creators of the icons. Some icons I have ran across are royalty-free though.

I wont sell a theme unless the icons are A) royalty-free or B) I actually purchased them for commercial use. Unfortunately some have discovered a way to extract icons from themes, which is something we all have to worry about now.
    Umm let's see I would to say that's not true or cherri herself would be in trouble she has created a iphone theme for sale on the pinstack store and those icons were no way made by her the crack berry site sells many iphone themes using icons the did in no way create! Also your Mac icons everyoone sells a version of leopard and Mac and yet noone is in trouble! And maxx730 I believe these people you are talking about are most likely the 2 most amazing theme creators on the stacks which are ecruz0102 and dr. Devious which you are driving away by starting these types of threads against them when was the last time you have seen devious here huh? Bet you don't remember cause it was that long ago! And ecruz0102 won't be staying much longer I bet if you keep making them feel like there doing wrong things when they are just making truly amazing and unbelievable designs! I have yet heard of someone sueing someone else because of the icon matter and I believe it will never be an issue google and apple have more important matters to intended too so quit hating on these amazing theme creators and go back to your theme making! And if they wanna sell em Let em they are for sure very very very worth the price!! Its amazing themes!

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    You also have to be careful of copywrited images too.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by frank89bb View Post
    Umm let's see I would to say that's not true or cherri herself would be in trouble she has created a iphone theme for sale on the pinstack store and those icons were no way made by her the crack berry site sells many iphone themes using icons the did in no way create! Also your Mac icons everyoone sells a version of leopard and Mac and yet noone is in trouble! And maxx730 I believe these people you are talking about are most likely the 2 most amazing theme creators on the stacks which are ecruz0102 and dr. Devious which you are driving away by starting these types of threads against them when was the last time you have seen devious here huh? Bet you don't remember cause it was that long ago! And ecruz0102 won't be staying much longer I bet if you keep making them feel like there doing wrong things when they are just making truly amazing and unbelievable designs! I have yet heard of someone sueing someone else because of the icon matter and I believe it will never be an issue google and apple have more important matters to intended too so quit hating on these amazing theme creators and go back to your theme making! And if they wanna sell em Let em they are for sure very very very worth the price!! Its amazing themes!
    first and foremost, you are a newly registered user here on pinstack but seem to know a lot about everyone else's business...interesting. no WHERE did the OP or anyone else for matter mention ecruz or devious..so i am not sure where you are going with this post...aside from trying to start some drama?

i did, however, make all the iphone icons myself. its not that hard to look at something so simple and recreate it. take a look at my task icon, my calendar icon...don't make assumptions that you have NO clue what you are talking about.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    i'd like frank to have an opportunity to respond to me

and other theme experts to respond as well...

dr_devious no está en línea Themes Pro
    I am still here....as far as not showing up as much, I am a graphic design/marketing manager for a large Fortune 50 company, full-time student, and a father. To say that I am busy would be an understatement. My employer recently handed down two major promotional project that had to be finished over the last two weeks, so I have been quieter.

With the development or lead in time for a theme going from 4-5 hours to 1-2 days with the animation and testing required, it is getting harder to replicate my old release schedule.

As far as icons go, I attempt to change, modify, and or create them enough that I feel I can avoid any issues. Some of the icon sets I utilize are open source.
    BlackBerry Themes:
    From your PC: www.socksinsideout.com
    From you BB: mobile.socksinsideout.com

Questions:
    Email me: sales@socksinsideout.com

I dont recall making any Mac icons or themes. Can you tell me what I will be doing next week? And who Im going to marry? I havent sold a single theme yet. All of my work has been shared free of charge, again, you are thoroughly incorrect.

And one thing about law that you fail to realize, one can only face prosecution if one is caught.
    Last edited by HeyMrRadio; 11-07-2008 at 03:18 PM.

amcat no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by frank89bb View Post
    Ummmm....Sorry to burst your bubble, but your thinking is bordering on, how do i put this..... incorrect! The fact is, you cannot use - for this argument - any Apple or Macintosh icons without their written authorization for any purpose, period.

I am a member of The Graphic Artist Guild and the biggest concern with the Guild is copyright infringement and the rampant stealing of artists work on the internet. Just because Apple or whomever probably, 99.5% of the time aren't going to sue the little guy for throwing their icon on a theme, doesn't make it right.

And nobody was doing any hating on anyone, just stating the facts.

I think alot of people on this site, including Cherri, Maxx and Dr. are extremely talented and I for one applaud the quality of their work and the amount of time they put into developing these themes.

Below I have added, word for word from the Apple website.

'Apple Logo and Apple-owned Graphic Symbols: You may not use the Apple Logo or any other Apple-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Apple, such as a reseller agreement.'

frank89bb no está en línea Stack level 1
    Ok so I know a lot so what maybe I am someone you know! Cherri I know you already know who I am and I don't care you are not getting rid of me.ban me its fine ill be back with in 2 hours as someone else its easy! Anyways maxx730 didn't have to say any names look around cherri search your forums don't be blind who has been posting premium theme in your misc themes hmm let me look oh devious and ecruz0102 no one else has anytime close to relevant! I know maxx was talking about ecruz and devious because they both recently released andriod themes which have the exact g1 icons and battery and signal and they are selling it! So I know who maxx intended this dang thread for! It doesn't matter if truly created those icons because really you didn't you took the icons and made a couple of simple changes CHERRI!! . same thing to u cruz images of the net with a little bit of yalls touch does not make them yalls creations! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast