Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have the full version of CPSP XI and it's great, but I'm having trouble ... Free BlackBerry Themes forum

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

Need Corel Paint Shop Pro XI help!

Advertisement

I have the full version of CPSP XI and it's great, but I'm having trouble finding answers to my questions in the normal web tutorials I've found. Anyone have any info PLEASE reply here or pin me! Thanks!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

PIN/ID
    OICU812

Re: Need Corel Paint Shop Pro XI help!

Prepare for headache. I'm as slow as christmas! I want to make a shape, then cut out a shape from the middle of the first shape, like making a donut or a ring or a mechanical nut (as in nut and bolt). The tutorials I have seen say to make my outside image, copy to Alpha channel, then new raster layer, then load from alpha channel, then modify contract x number of pixels, then hit delete key. THAT DONT WORK. I think they left a step out of the tutorial.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

With the center you cut out do you want to delete it entirely? Also, is the shape in the middle going to be a customer shape, or predefined like square, circle?

A real easy way is to use the selection tool in the toolbar, select freehand, selection, or magic wand. Move to your image and when you select the proper shape you can just move it off your screen by pressing delete.

PIN/ID
    OICU812

delete entirely? yes. i want a ring in the shape of a star. like if you bent a paperclip into the shape of a star.

say i make a big white circle and put a smaller black circle in the middle of it. do i merge the two circles, then use the magic wand selection tool and click the black circle and click delete??

Cin
    Cin no está en línea Stack level 2

No need for the second circle. Just make your first circle, then use your selection tools, set it to circle (or whatever shape you want your cutout part to be) and hit delete. That will cut out the center image.

PIN/ID
    OICU812

Aha! That's what I was looking for! Now how can I save a shape into the preset shapes menu so that the next time I want to make a cut out of say a star, I don't have to reinvent the wheel? My ultimate goal with this is to make a picture tube of stars of different shapes and sizes, so that is my next question. Once I make my shapes, how do I get them into a picture tube?

And while I'm at it, what is the difference between " copying something to the alpha channel > pasting from the alpha channel > modify contract x number of pixels" , and hitting "copy > paste > and sizing down with the pick arrow"?

PIN/ID
    OICU812

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hey I just got a chance to try what you suggested (using seletion tool and press delete) I think I have something set wrong. The selection isn't disappearing.

Cin

Ok, you've got a lot of different issues you are trying to address all at once. Let's start off with the already mentioned task. Ok, you have made your original shape and this is a filled shape right? A solid filled shape? Now you use your selection tool and make your second shape on top of the first. Are you on the same layer? If you've added a new layer on top of the original shape, you will have to select the layer with your 1st shape on it. Something else you can check is to look in your layer palette and see if your layer is called "background layer". If it is, you need to right click on it and promote it to a layer. One of those should fix that problem. If not, shout back and we'll try something else.

Next... You can save your selections by going to Selections>Save to Disk (may be slightly different depending on version you are using) Make yourself a selections folder and when you need a custom selection, just load from disk. Basic shapes are already loaded, so you would only need that for your custom selections.

You can also use preset shapes of which you can find kazillions with a google search. If you set your foreground to a color then null out your background, you will get just an outline of the shape.. not filled in. You can then click inside or outside of the shape to get your selection.

Unless you are doing something special with these stars, you can create them really quickly with your preset shapes, so no real need to tube them. You can set whatever size you want as well as colors and fill patterns. You also don't want to load a ton of tubes in PSP as it will bog it down and cause problems. Put them in an outside folder and point PSP to them in your preferences. You don't need to load them into psp to use them.. just open them in PSP when you need it.
    ---------------
    And while I'm at it, what is the difference between " copying something to the alpha channel > pasting from the alpha channel > modify contract x number of pixels" , and hitting "copy > paste > and sizing down with the pick arrow"?
    ------------
    Copy and pasting means the same in PSP as it does on the web. You copy from one place and paste into another. In this case, from something you have saved to your alpha channel.

Modifying pixels is if you make your selection and decide it's slightly larger or smaller than you want or say, you are trying to match your new selection to your original image and it's slightly off.. You can modify the pixels and that will enlarge or shrink your selection by a few pixels.

You asked for a lot of info.. lol Hope some of this makes sense!

~Cin~

PIN/ID
    OICU812

<banging head on wall> Sorry guys, I know I'm slow. I appreciate everyone being so paitent. Maybe if I tell yall what i'm doing, you'll be able to tell me what i'm doing wrong.

First I create a new image. Set my size, make it a Raster background, transparent.
    Next I create a new raster layer (layer one). Then I set my colors to stand out against the gray/white checkerboard of the transparent background. Next I select the elipse tool and click circle mode, and draw a circle. Next I select the Selection tool, selection type "circle", mode "remove". I click an area within my big gray circle and drag, and I see the outline of a smaller circle, entirely within my first big circle. When I let go of the left mouse button, I expect the smaller to disappear, showing the checkered background below, and making my big gray circle into a big gray donut. Instead, the small "selection tool" circle just disappears like it never happened. My big gray circle is still there, untouched. I tried holding the control button as I drag the "selection" tool circle, but that dosen't work either. Can you tell what I'm doing wrong??? Thanks again!

Cin

Ok.. now I think I understand. You're going down 20 miles of hard road to get across the street.. lol

Try this and see if this is what you are trying to accomplish. Open a new transparent image. Set your stroke to whatever color your want your circle to be and NULL out your fill color. Click on your preset shapes tool and select the ellipse. Make sure antialisas is selected and your line style should be solid line. Set your line width to 30. (You can adjust this to however wide you want. You'll be able to tell when you create the shape if you want your "ring" wider or thinner. ) Click on your blank image, hold down your mouse button and drag your curser to the side and down to create your circle. This will create a "ring" with the center transparent. You can then create a new layer for whatever you want in the center of the circle.

Does this help????

PIN/ID
    OICU812

AHA! Yes this will help. I created a star with a transparent hole in the center. I also got the whole "bent paperclip" thing to work. However I still have the urge to go down the 20 miles of hard road. Is there no way to draw a solid fill shape (a hexagon let's say) and select part of the filled area and delete that selection to make the background behind the selection visible? The way I have accomplished this so far is to draw my outer shape with a null fill, draw my inner shape with a null fill (inside my outer shape), align them as needed, select all, merge the two shapes, then fill the area between the inner and outer shape, giving me one filled shape with the "hole" cut out of the center like I wanted. Thanks so much!

Cin

Sure.. draw your original shape (your hexagon) then use your selection tool. There are basic shapes in there.. circle, hexagon, triangle, star, square, etc. Draw your shape with the selection tool and hit your delete button.. voila!

If the shape you want to cut out isn't a standard shape, then you can use point to point or freehand mode of your selection tool.

PIN/ID
    OICU812

Quote Originally Posted by Cin
    Sure.. draw your original shape (your hexagon) then use your selection tool. There are basic shapes in there.. circle, hexagon, triangle, star, square, etc. Draw your shape with the selection tool and hit your delete button.. voila!

If the shape you want to cut out isn't a standard shape, then you can use point to point or freehand mode of your selection tool.
    Ok, this is where I get lost. When i use the selection tool to draw my "hole" the marquee outline is there inside the hexagon, but when I press delete, the hexagon disappears and I'm left with an empty marquee outline. On the selection toolbar I have the action window set to "subtract" (is that what it says?).

Cin

Is the layer you are working on called your "background"?? If so, right click on in and promote it to a layer. I'm not certain if the selection action is "subtract" as you use a later version of PSP than me. Promote that background to a layer (if that is how it is) and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast