Hi all, New to the stacks, great site! I'm looking for a way to upload ... Free BlackBerry Themes forum

Yzerguy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2039B66B

Question How to upload wallpaper w/o converters?

Advertisement

Hi all,

New to the stacks, great site!

I'm looking for a way to upload photos for wallpaper to my 8700. I've searched the forums here and found the various wallpaper converters... those look great, but they all (appear) to require sending to your Blackberry email addy.

Problem is I've had my carrier (Rogers) disable my web client as I was receiving serious spam on my Blackberry email (without ever using it). I'm on a hosted Exchange/BES server with an awesome spam server/filter that keeps my inbox spam free 99% of the time, so the BES stays active with the web client/email inactive... I won't activate my web client b/c to me spam is far worse than being able to download wallpapers.

I've searched and other than the online converters, I haven't found a solutions. Is there a way to convert photos (ie: via Photoshop, or perhaps other software) and upload them to my 8700, either OTA or via DM, without the need to use my Blackberry addy?

I'm not quite a noob but I'm new enough, apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Cheers, Sean

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: How to upload wallpaper w/o converters?

Couldnt you just use your BES email address?

You could also try some apps on handango.com that would allow transferring images, like BerryPix.

mysmyrrh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e4456e

Quote Originally Posted by Yzerguy
    Hi all,

New to the stacks, great site!

I'm looking for a way to upload photos for wallpaper to my 8700. I've searched the forums here and found the various wallpaper converters... those look great, but they all (appear) to require sending to your Blackberry email addy.

Problem is I've had my carrier (Rogers) disable my web client as I was receiving serious spam on my Blackberry email (without ever using it). I'm on a hosted Exchange/BES server with an awesome spam server/filter that keeps my inbox spam free 99% of the time, so the BES stays active with the web client/email inactive... I won't activate my web client b/c to me spam is far worse than being able to download wallpapers.

I've searched and other than the online converters, I haven't found a solutions. Is there a way to convert photos (ie: via Photoshop, or perhaps other software) and upload them to my 8700, either OTA or via DM, without the need to use my Blackberry addy?

I'm not quite a noob but I'm new enough, apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Cheers, Sean
    I use pics taken with my digital camera all the time for wallpapers, without running thru a converter of any kind. All you do is load them thru the desktop manager. put them in your pictures folder. That's it. Now keep in mind that I have a Pearl, but I don't see how it could be any different for the 8700. The bb automatically scales them for viewing, without need of converting them to any particular size. I have and use Picasa as my photo editing software. It doesn't rescale or change the pics in anyway, unless I tell it to. So whatever size my pics are to begin with, that's how they stay. And that's how I load them into my Pearl. So, to recap-
    just use your media manager in Desktop Manager.
    load the pics from computer to pictures folder on memory card/device memory
    set as homescreen
    that's it!

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Unfortunately the pearl and the 88xx are the only BB's that can use the desktop manager to transfer images.

The rest of us have to use email or applications like mentioned above.

I cant wait till I get a BB that has features of 4.2 OS.

PIN/ID
    2039B66B

Thx to both of you. cp6169, I had read that to use the converters online that you must use your BB email addy, maybe I read that wrong, I'll try using my normal BES email. Actually mysmyrrh PINed me today with the same info she posted here... It sounded easy but I was wondering why I hadn't seen a media manager before, thought I was missing something... I'll give the email route a try, if not I'll look at berrypix etc. Then again it could be a weak excuse to upgrade to the 88xx when it's available north of the border

Again, thx to both of you.

Cheers

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Here is an idea...

Download infranview, a free picture program... www.infranview.com

Resize the images yourself using the proper size, then email the picture to your email address.

PIN/ID
    2039B66B

Just to wrap this thread up, I finally got around to trying the converter found in the useful sticky thread (I'd re-post the URL here but I'm not a stack level 2 and so I'm told I can't post URLs yet).

It worked great using the email address on my BES, there is no requirement to use the web client BB address.

I also just resized the same photo using Photoshop and emailed it to myself as an attachment and that worked perfectly as well, plus it's faster than using the converter. I guess I was making things harder than I need to.

Thx for the feedback guys.

Cheers, Sean

PIN/ID
    3056468b