Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by ozrial Good lookin out N8. That is some great info for beginners. ... Free BlackBerry Themes forum

interferon18 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Themes: How To Find, Download, Install And Activate

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ozrial
    Good lookin out N8. That is some great info for beginners.
    Thanx a lot buddy iam a new BBB.Ur post was like a school teachers instruction.The themes are working fine in my pearl.Keep the good work.ANYONE!! who is new like me here pls pls follow this post and u will never miss any installation

jerseypunk no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F53F88

Hello, I have been trying to upload a new theme for OTA installation for a friend to access which I made for them. I found a couple of different sites to host .jad theme files so you can then open them and download them from your BB browser. I've read that all you need is the .jad file, but when it comes to downloading the file from the BB browser I get the attached manifest script, rather than the actual theme itself to be installed.

Any ideas as to why, or what I'm missing here? I've been back and forth trying to figure it out and I am at a total loss now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jerseypunk
    Hello, I have been trying to upload a new theme for OTA installation for a friend to access which I made for them. I found a couple of different sites to host .jad theme files so you can then open them and download them from your BB browser. I've read that all you need is the .jad file, but when it comes to downloading the file from the BB browser I get the attached manifest script, rather than the actual theme itself to be installed.

Any ideas as to why, or what I'm missing here? I've been back and forth trying to figure it out and I am at a total loss now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi jerseypunk,

The .jad file is the starting point that you post as the link for people to point to with the BB browser. You'll also need to place all the .cod files onto the server. The .jad file is a package listing of all the files the OTA action will need to download-- so after you make .jad file set, do not change any filenames because they are all encoded in the .jad file. The number of .cod files depends on how many graphic elements your particular theme has. Some of mine had 4 and some had 10 .cod files.

Question? Is the theme.jad file the only file that is needed when installing OTA. or do i need all those files on the site but only letting the theme.jad be an active link.
    you need them all. They are a set of files, with sequential numbers, that are broken up for downloading and reconstructed during OTA. They all need to be in the same folder on the server.

Question? . Does the server need certain abilities in addition to what most hosting companies supply?
    Yes- the server needs to have some things enabled. I know that Apache servers are the preferred ones. You also need a file to tell the server how to handle requests. This is a .htaccess file. Note there is nothing preceeding the initial "dot" in the filename. The file needs to have this contents (build with a text-only editor like Notepad):

AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod
    AddType application/java-archive jar
    AddType audio/adpcm adp

This file needs to be in every folder you create on the server with .jad and .cod files. Again, the file name is everything inside the quotes ".htaccess".

I have also found that you must use the OTA installation of the Theme Reader application for OTA themes to work. Seems like a bug but I repeated it in testing. So, upload them too and place a link for users to grab them.

hope this helps?
    Last edited by srl7741; 04-26-2007 at 06:47 PM.

enroc no está en línea Stack level 1

thanx

jerseypunk no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F53F88

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741
    Hi jerseypunk,

The .jad file is the starting point that you post as the link for people to point to with the BB browser. You'll also need to place all the .cod files onto the server. The .jad file is a package listing of all the files the OTA action will need to download-- so after you make .jad file set, do not change any filenames because they are all encoded in the .jad file. The number of .cod files depends on how many graphic elements your particular theme has. Some of mine had 4 and some had 10 .cod files.

Question? Is the theme.jad file the only file that is needed when installing OTA. or do i need all those files on the site but only letting the theme.jad be an active link.
    you need them all. They are a set of files, with sequential numbers, that are broken up for downloading and reconstructed during OTA. They all need to be in the same folder on the server.

Question? . Does the server need certain abilities in addition to what most hosting companies supply?
    Yes- the server needs to have some things enabled. I know that Apache servers are the preferred ones. You also need a file to tell the server how to handle requests. This is a .htaccess file. Note there is nothing preceeding the initial "dot" in the filename. The file needs to have this contents (build with a text-only editor like Notepad):

AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod
    AddType application/java-archive jar
    AddType audio/adpcm adp

This file needs to be in every folder you create on the server with .jad and .cod files. Again, the file name is everything inside the quotes ".htaccess".

I have also found that you must use the OTA installation of the Theme Reader application for OTA themes to work. Seems like a bug but I repeated it in testing. So, upload them too and place a link for users to grab them.

hope this helps?

srl,

WOW That is so incredibly confusing... It was a piece of cake to build the theme and install it via DM, but the whole OTA thing, I guess its simply WAYYYY over my head.

But thank you for taking the time to try and explain it to me.

Best regards,
    jerseypunk

Dhanlal89 no está en línea Stack level 1

worked great for me

KD317 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B10AC1

How can I get an Atlanta Braves thems??

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

welcome to pinstack KD - you should look here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...xx_themes.html

KD317 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B10AC1

thank you....I have the 8703e for verizon....if you run across any atlanta braves themes let me know

JESSE69 no está en línea Stack level 1

how do i send a ota theme to my blacberry pearl through my usb port,using a zip file..

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42

So for every theme I must install a theme reader for that theme?

team_mom no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

I have been looking for the Braves also. I have tried to make one on my own, but I continue to have trouble with the pics being the right kb.

I will 2nd the request for a Braves theme for the 8703e

PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by joek71
    So for every theme I must install a theme reader for that theme?
    Hi joek71,

With the 8700 series phone it depends on the install method?

Using the desktop manager to install a theme you only need to install the theme reader file 1x.
    Using the ota install method yes after each new theme install also install the theme reader file and re-start the phone.

also see: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...4-post271.html
    for additional theme install help.

PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by JESSE69
    how do i send a ota theme to my blacberry pearl through my usb port,using a zip file..
    Hi JESSE69,

Also see: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...4-post271.html

for additional theme install help.

vi3tboi781 no está en línea Stack level 1

thanx for the imput guys =]