Hi there, Is there any way to backup non-factory-installed (aftermarket) themes, ringtones, and apps to ... Free BlackBerry Themes forum

derektom no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Backing up non-factory-installed themes, ringtones, apps

Advertisement

Hi there,

Is there any way to backup non-factory-installed (aftermarket) themes, ringtones, and apps to say my microSD memory card (or at least the themes and ringtones)? This is in case I need to wipe my handheld. I've got an 8820.

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers,
    Derek

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Backing up non-factory-installed themes, ringtones, apps

Ringtones yes, apps and themes, Loaded through Desktop manager, Yes, Loaded OTA some do but most the answer is no.

Sorry,
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

derektom no está en línea Stack level 1

Much thanks, Rcbjr!

A related question: We use BES and none of our users currently have Desktop Manager installed because everything syncs wirelessly. I also read that the BB USB drivers should be installed so that charging via USB works optimally. But my question is is it "risky" to install Desktop Manager for users that want to use it for just installing apps/themes/ringtones?... I am worried that Desktop Manager might mess up the BB Service Books, requiring the handheld to be reconfigured with BES admin assistance. Or is it reliable as long as we do install Desktop Manager with the proper settings, i.e. for use with BES and not using Desktop Redirection, etc.

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers,
    Derek

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

That's more of a question for a BB Admin, but do you allow your users to add third party apps and Themes at All? Certain Apps I can see such as Google Maps and a couple of others but I would think you would be more careful about OTA installs also. As to the drivers, that two is beyond my personal knowledge, but I think the drivers are really necessary for the USB Charging to be totally efficient.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles