So it would seem as though RIM has put us theme developers in a bit ... Free BlackBerry Themes forum

MonkeyBizIU no está en línea Themes Pro

4.5 Exclusive - Thoughts from other developers

Advertisement

So it would seem as though RIM has put us theme developers in a bit of a pickle. By making themes incompatible across the OS versions, a single theme now has to be exported four times for up load (Twice each for OTA and Desktop and for 4.3 & 4.5).

I'm strongly considering moving all my development to 4.5 exclusively, just because there are now 4.5 OSs for my target devices (8300 and 8100 series) in the wild, and it's a little less work on my end.

I'd like the opinion of other theme developers to see what you guys think on the issue?

On a related note, given the homescreen customization options, I'm wondering if anyone else is getting flooded with requests for custom homescreens on new themes? I don't know about you guys, but between PMs, IMs, and emails, I'm getting slammed.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    I feel you directly on this. I personally have had them exported for only 4.5 or for 4.2 and above..

As far as customizations I have started to ask for a donation if they want a certain look or feel changed to the Theme itself.

The theme was created with your thoughts and thats why you choose to share them. now if you have to change them to satisfy someone else? why not get compensated for it.

MonkeyBizIU no está en línea Themes Pro
    I'm inclined to agree.

My thought is thus: there are official releases of the 4.5 OS for my all target devices (8300 and 8100 series) available now. I'm running it myself, so I know it works. I'm not particularly interested in exporting 20+ themes for each one I do. And this doesn't even take into account anything with Composer (which will be my next project).

I'm not saying anything official, but it is the direction I'm leaning.

cpk3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I only export to 4.5 now, but will go to 4.2 if someone asks for it.

I probably don't develop as many themes as you do. It is more of a if I have an Idea I roll with it, in my spare time. Then tweek the theme I am playing with tell I get it the way I want it. I only post what I think other people would like. If they want the theme fine, if they don't cool.

Sometimes I think I should just post the THM file with the theme. That way if someone wants to customize it they can. Or port it to 4.2 themeselves.

I am all for the FREE thing. I don't see the point in charging for themes myself. I understand it is time consuming.... So I see that side also.

Either way it is your call.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    for my commercial themes, i have been exporting to 4.2.1 on everything, that way *most* can download with no issues. unfortunately, this leaves some of the cool additions out (like weblink, bbm on homescreen).

scorpio11 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    I'm not a developer, but I thought I'd give you my .02 cents as someone who has to have a non-standard theme for my baby.

I LOVE free themes and 99% of the time, I will only use Today or Today Plus styles. There are tons of themes out there that I think look really cool, but are the other styles or for different OS's. However, my thoughts are that if the developers go to all the trouble to make and offer a theme for free, then it is offered "As-Is." I look at free themes as a gift from the developer. If there is one that I really like the feel of, but it isn't exactly what I would want, the only way I will ask for any customization is with compensation. I won't even ask for OTA vs. Zip file or vice versa. PinStack has how many members? I'm sure the developers could easily get overwhelmed with requests trying to please everyone. I think that with the number of developers and themes available, people can find something they like. If it's not quite what they want, a couple of bucks to make it what they want isn't too much to ask.

Just my opinion...

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I have created about 10 themes since 4.5 cdk came out and I strickly do it for fun, but they take a lot of time away from my family and I am going to have to break. Just want to thank all the develepers for their time and energy.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~