A couple weeks ago I purchased two 4GB flash drives and a 7-port USB hub ... Software & Theme Development forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Lightbulb [TIP] GIMP - No Disk error

Advertisement

A couple weeks ago I purchased two 4GB flash drives and a 7-port USB hub to use when making my themes. Its been working great, but a few days ago I started getting this error message popping up whenever I try to save and/or access images from GIMP. The error reads "gimp-2.6.exe - No Disk" across the top of the dialog box and the body reads, "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR45" which means absolutely nothing to me. But the error pops up and it takes clicking it about 20 times to get it to completely go away. Then it just happens again on the next opening of an image or saving of one.

I did a google search and found a few sites where it says this is a well known bug with GIMP. So I know it's the hub that is causing the problem (even though it wasn't until the last couple days) because if I unplug it and use GIMP, it works fine and I don't get the "No Disk" error message. But I need the hub to use GIMP in the first place, so this presents as a major problem for me.

So does anyone else use GIMP and know a way around this because keeping my hub unplugged when I use GIMP is really not an option for me and I don't have enough accessories to fill all the ports?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
    Last edited by JavaBratt; 07-21-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: posted resolution to issue
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Thumbs up [TIP] GIMP - No Disk error; alternative resolution

I was able to find some information concerning this problem and it being linked to one of two things... having a Drive (I) which renaming will resolve the problem or having external memory devices (ie; flash drives, hubs etc) plugged in. I was able to determine it wasn't the hub, which I've been using for a few weeks without any problem. I went through and viewed the drives as well and was unable to find a Drive (I). More information about this here.

But it crossed my mind yesterday that having a 7-port USB hub, I should by all means have a Drive (I. So this morning I gathered up everything I could find to fill up the empty ports and finally was able to get that particular drive to show up. Unfortunately changing the drive letter didn't resolve the issue

So I started racking my brain trying to figure out what, if anything, was different about my setup now versus last week when everything was working fine. Finally I was able to track down and resolve the issue, at least so it seems.

My home internet access is via a Verizon Wireless USB modem, which I typically keep plugged into a Cradlepoint router so we can connect our laptops via our own hotspot. Unfortunately, the last few days the signal has been really bad and I was constantly losing my connection (not good when trying to UL theme files), so I plugged the USB modem directly into the hub. My connection was great, but that's when the issue with GIMP started.

Basically I spent the morning plugging and unplugging everything, testing GIMP in between and it seems that having the USB modem plugged into the hub is what is causing the problems, which is why unplugging the hub yesterday (with the modem still plugged into it) was resolving the issue. It wasn't the hub, but rather the modem that was plugged into it

So for those who have the same issue where the drive (I isn't the culprit, this is another avenue to look into. I've since removed the USB modem, tested GIMP several times and have been unable to get the "No Disk" error to show since. So as of right now, the problem has been solved
    Last edited by JavaBratt; 07-21-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Thanks for the information, sorry you had to go through all of the that, but hopefully it will be a quick solution for someone in the future

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Thanks for the information, sorry you had to go through all of the that, but hopefully it will be a quick solution for someone in the future
    Not a problem Papa! Always happy to share, especially when it can help someone else out
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info